Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
clarinetmom

motivation before 1st competition

Was wanting to get some ideals on motivating the kids before their 1st competition. Does any bands do anything special for them?

We never did this personally, but i've heard of some bands getting little goodies bags (:

Always thought that'd be cute.

We have had an ice cream sundae bar at the end of their practices. We've also had frozen ice pops for them at the end of a practice too. We use to have a "family and school staff" performance before they began their season, but we didn't do that this year. Just some idea's that let the kids know that we support them and all of their hard work and dedication.

The best motivation for a first competition is always a special note from the band parents in our uniform bags. When I was in high school the band mommies and daddies would write lyrical messages on little cards and attach a candy to it. Some memorable ones:

"Don't be a dum-dum, beat your drum-um" - Attached was a Dum-Dum sucker :D

"Make sure to spell it out, makes us scream and shout, show 'em what we're all about." - In reference to our 2005 show: Anagram. Attached was a Shout trial package with some alpha-bits cereal attached. >.<

Small things like that will get a smile on their faces and if anything give them something to talk about before the show and alleviate any stress. (i.e: "How corny can they get with these things?") :P

• Thanks 1

I get my drum corps motivated during every practice by running back out onto the field after every water break screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DRUM COOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRPS!!!!!!!!!!" :)

Our band isn't the most gifted in funding, so we haven't really ever done anything like this. Most of the people in our band don't like to try, so maybe this would be a good idea for next year's season.