Kentucky Marching Network
fluteyourflute

rude chaperones

If the chaperone is someone in your organization, then I would bring it up to your director and your booster members. If this chaperone is from another school, then I would either write or email the Princiapl of that school. I've found out by going to the Principal of a school goes a longer way than going to their director.

As you've already mentioned, the adults SHOULD set the example for their students! No question about that.

I'm sorry that you've had to experience this incident, because I've met some wonderful parents, chaperones, director's etc., around the State, and they have always been supportive of each band, their performances, and have even eaten and spoken to many other parents. There are some great people in the band world, it's the small amount of people as you've mentioned, that make it bad for the rest of us.

If you'd like to email me or our State Band Boosters Org., for more assistance, please feel free to do so. Good luck this year and I hope you're able to enjoy the rest of the marching band season.

Sincerely,

Tom Schwartz/State Coordinator

KY. State Band Boosters/Band Parents Org.

www.kybandboosters.org

kystatebandboosters@fuse.net

I completely understand the issue here. As we were working to change the misconceptions that existed about our band students, a few of our parents and students over heard very rude comments being made about not only our students but about other bands' students. As I agree it is a good idea to inform the principal of the school the parents were associated with, I think it would be more efficient to email both the principal and the director with the same information. This way, neither the band director or the principal is blind sided by the story. Then, the director can get to work at educating the parents, while at the same time informing their superiors as to your displeasure in a direct, but tasteful and respectful way.

my 2 cents...

I completely understand the issue here. As we were working to change the misconceptions that existed about our band students, a few of our parents and students over heard very rude comments being made about not only our students but about other bands' students. As I agree it is a good idea to inform the principal of the school the parents were associated with, I think it would be more efficient to email both the principal and the director with the same information. This way, neither the band director or the principal is blind sided by the story. Then, the director can get to work at educating the parents, while at the same time informing their superiors as to your displeasure in a direct, but tasteful and respectful way.

my 2 cents...

Well said..

We recently attended our first competition this season last week. This is in NO disrespect to the Host School, because they are always one of the best competitions during the year, but it seems with all that's been posted about rude parents, boosters, etc, at competitions, I would have thought that things would have changed for the best, BUT,

I'm sad to report that we sat next to the very SAME group of band parents and supporters that insist on talking on their cell phones, making fun of every band that peformed, except their's, and NEVER once clapped for any other band but their own.

It's sickening to see adults act like this in the stands, and I had to send off an email to their Director and to their Principal, to report their bad behavior.

Don't they realize that they're insulting each of those bands, when they act like this????

But God forbid if soemone even coughed during their bands' performance. I'm really upset with this group of supporters. I've witnessed them at every competition acting the same way each time.

It's a shame, since their band is one of the most respected bands at most competitions. Our family even gave their band a standing ovation at the end of their performance. It was their best perfromance that we've witnessed from them. We can't blame the kids for the way their parents and supporters act, but if anyone thinks this MAY be your parents, PLEASE speak to them and ask them to act like adults, so when it's time for their kids to be in the stands to support their children, sometime down the road, that they know how to act at a competition!!!!

I'm not on this thread to "out" any one group of parents or supporters, but please, if you think it might be your group, please eductate those people once again, and ask them to support each band, applaud for each band, and turn your cell phones off or at least place them on "vibrate", and please don't talk on them during a performance.

Guest Mberg--Mustangs
Rude band parents. tick me off

yeah. but they are just like soccer parents. Very defensive of their kids and friends kids. Sometimes enough is enough.

Personally, I think emailing a principal about band parents will get nothing accomplished, because really what can the Principal do to a parent? Suspend them? No. There's really nothing that can be gained by doing that. Sorry, I think it's a waste of time. If you don't like it, tell the person in question or report them immediately to the hosting officials and have them take care of the matter right away. Don't be a coward and email someone about a situation that they can't really do anything about.

Edit: The reason I say all this is because I know many school officials and they get emails like this all the time from people about soccer parents or football parents or this or that and it almost always goes straight into the delete box.

Edited by ukwildcats2010

Personally, I think emailing a principal about band parents will get nothing accomplished, because really what can the Principal do to a parent? Suspend them? No. There's really nothing that can be gained by doing that. Sorry, I think it's a waste of time. If you don't like it, tell the person in question or report them immediately to the hosting officials and have them take care of the matter right away. Don't be a coward and email someone about a situation that they can't really do anything about.

Edit: The reason I say all this is because I know many school officials and they get emails like this all the time from people about soccer parents or football parents or this or that and it almost always goes straight into the delete box.

Getting the principal involved helped a situation in our band at our school with a band volunteer (which I assume this person is a volunteer if they are a chaperone). The situation involved more than rude comments but the parent is no longer allowed to volunteer to help with the band at all.

I did speak to the people that were acting up during the performances. When you have parents, students, fans, etc., sitting in the stands with their Show Shirts on, their actions not only brings shame to them, but to their own band, and the their entire school community. I don't feel like a coward by contacting their Director or Principal. I believe that the school officials need to know what's going on at these competitions, since many of them don't attend most competitions. I would hope that in today's world, that most Director's and Principal's would be kind enough to at least read my email or return my phone call. If they don't, then they're not doing their jobs. Just my thoughts.

I did speak to the people that were acting up during the performances. When you have parents, students, fans, etc., sitting in the stands with their Show Shirts on, their actions not only brings shame to them, but to their own band, and the their entire school community. I don't feel like a coward by contacting their Director or Principal. I believe that the school officials need to know what's going on at these competitions, since many of them don't attend most competitions. I would hope that in today's world, that most Director's and Principal's would be kind enough to at least read my email or return my phone call. If they don't, then they're not doing their jobs. Just my thoughts.

My hats off to you as that is the right thing to do! When they have their "show shirt" on they represent the county/city, the band, and the school. It's not like they have one of their Bugle Boy T-Shirts on at Wal-Mart.

How does a parent best handle a rude chaperone problem?

Must set an example for the kids. Have spoken with director.

Any suggestions?

Personally its the director's choice who actually chaperones. If the kids have a problem with a chaperone, they should tell the director imedeately and hopefully the director will do his/her best to resolve the issue calmly. For the kids, if they don't like specific chaperones because they treat them differently for whatever reasons, they should just avoid that person until they can get the issue resolved I a proper manner.