Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
ARae

Where are you going to college?

I'm always interested in hearing about what Universities our forum members are looking into. So, if you plan to be a music major (or minor) in the near future, what colleges are you taking into consideration? Why? Have you made any visits or met faculty?

Guest Mberg--Mustangs
I'm always interested in hearing about what Universities our forum members are looking into. So, if you plan to be a music major (or minor) in the near future, what colleges are you taking into consideration? Why? Have you made any visits or met faculty?

Well, Im currently attending Madisonville Community College, I am a fishery and wildlife management major, with a Music Ed minor. This coming fall, im going to trasfer to Murray State, and participate in the Racer Band. I chose MSU because of there wildlife programs and of course for the amazing music program. I have met Mr. Johnson. He is a nice guy.

I'm looking at Murray. From the way I take it, they have a good mUsic program and a decent Political Science program.

Looking forward to it.

well for a long time i was split between Murray and EKU.

because they both have good music programs and good computer science programs.

but ive been pulled more towards EKU since for one its closer to home.

and because i tend to like their music and computer science programs better.

and i plan majoring in computer sciences and minoring or maybe even also majoring in music ed.

I'm really wanting to major in Music Performance or Education at Morehead State and study under Dr. Nathan Nabb.

All the proffessors there are wonderful. And the music program is just fantabulous. (:

I've visited and chilled extensively at both EKU and WKU, but I lean towards western for their English program. (English major, Music minor) To complicate this decision, Bellarmine is offering me a great scholarship, has a solid english program, but lacks in the music department.

So, basically, Iduno.

Because Western isn't that good?

[/Loyal Murray State-r]

Western's woodwinds are really good. I'm not a big fan of their brass, which is why I did not go there.

My father is wanting me to go to Western...

But I'm not too fancy on the atmosphere.

And, from what I understand, Murray has a decent music and political science program. I'm looking into a Political Science Minor.

Not sure what I'm going to do with that, but I hope I can have a little fun with it. :P

I'm looking at EKU right now. My band director is highly encouraging it for Music Education. I havent really thought about a minor yet though. I have scholarship auditions around March though =D

I'm more than likely going to Murray State University for Music Ed.

Great music program, great town(home), overall seems a good decision.

I'm looking to major in Music Performance or Music Ed.

I like Murray, UK, and the University of Alabama.

Ray Conklin, Dale Warren, and Jon Whitaker are all excellent teachers. I'm really excited <_<

Western's woodwinds are really good. I'm not a big fan of their brass, which is why I did not go there.

Agreed. The woodwinds here are phenomenal--wish I could say the same about the brass. If you plan to study Music Ed, Western is one of the top Education schools around here, so keep that in mind. And plus, the flute professor here (Dr. Pintner) is pretty bad ass. She produces some fierce flute players.

I expect to go to UK, and I'm fine with that because it's a great school with a good percussion studio. I'm auditioning at UK, IU, Oberlin, and CCM. Scholarships will be the deciding factor.

Edited by KYPercussionist

I really like UC, just because I like the familiarity and staying close to home. What sucks is that CCM is kind of ridiculous to get into. Plus I can go anywhere in state for free, so unless by some miracle I get into CCM, I like Louisville, b/c it's in the only legit city Kentucky has.

Edited by look what i can do!

I really like UC, just because I like the familiarity and staying close to home. What sucks is that CCM is kind of ridiculous to get into. Plus I can go anywhere in state for free, so unless by some miracle I get into CCM, I like Louisville, b/c it's in the only legit city Kentucky has.

CCM is probably better for a Master's anyway...

I go to Louisville. :)

More like loserville :)

jk

CCM is probably better for a Master's anyway...

agreed. that's where i plan to go for my masters, anyways.

as far as Lville goes, Music Education (if that's what you plan) isn't one of the best decisions. However, their performance department is really great.

I've noticed that many people are choosing location over quality, or where most of their friends are goinbg. If you are trying to find a school that suits you, take the time and get some information about it or to visit it. I could have gone to NKU, Morehead, CCM or anything else remotely close. However, I chose the school that suited my needs the best--and it turned out to be hours away.

Seniors, please don't settle for mediocre.

Find the school that fits you.

better than EKU :ph34r:

Much agreed!

D=