Kentucky Marching Network

Ground Breaks on Building of McCracken County High School

Ground was broken on the construction on McCracken County High School, On June 4 2010, opening of the high school is set for Fall 0f 2012. This will but the students of Lone Oak, Heath and Reidland into a single school. Not only would this create another 5A band in the west, but it would eliminate a 1A, 2A, and 3A bands which would certainly shake up the classes of KMEA Marching Band.

Here is a link to an architectural rendering of the new school:

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/81770572.html

And a link to the story about the groundbreaking

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/95669159.html

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's going to be a big school. Lots of glass, very modern-looking... But I really hope it doesn't get hit by a tornado.

I have two questions regarding the school's effect on the McCracken County school system. Once this new high school merges the three county schools, will McCracken County and Paducah Tilghman be the only two public high schools in McCracken County? Also, will there be any restructuring of the districts for the remaining high schools? Does anyone know?

Wow, that's going to be a big school. Lots of glass, very modern-looking... But I really hope it doesn't get hit by a tornado.

I have two questions regarding the school's effect on the McCracken County school system. Once this new high school merges the three county schools, will McCracken County and Paducah Tilghman be the only two public high schools in McCracken County? Also, will there be any restructuring of the districts for the remaining high schools? Does anyone know?

Yes, PT and McCracken will be the only two schools in the county. You do realize this is fairly normal in our Commonwealth? Only slighltly less normal than only one high school in the county, actually.

Yes, PT and McCracken will be the only two schools in the county. You do realize this is fairly normal in our Commonwealth? Only slighltly less normal than only one high school in the county, actually.

It's not that I'm shocked by this. Muhlenberg County did the same thing last year. I do have a memory longer than nine months, you know. :sarcasm:

I was asking because I'm not familiar with the geography of western Kentucky (I've only lived in the eastern part of the state). I don't know where all the high schools over there are, only that Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland were county schools in McCracken County, whereas Paducah Tilghman is a city school. I didn't know whether there were other schools in McCracken County that were not affected by this move.