Kentucky Marching Network

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is most likely to get the Governor's Cup again?

• Williamstown
    • Washington County
    • Bourbon County
    • Madisonville North Hopkins
    • Lafayette

I think Washington County, just because all the others have someone pretty tight on their tails. Williamstown has Beechwood to watch out for, Bourbon has Adair, Madisonville has Grant putting up a fight, and Lafayette has... PLD, North Hardin, Madison Central, etc.

Washington County to me has the most guaranteed win. There are some good bands in 2A, but I just don't think any are going to take it from Washington yet. Glasgow has some pretty impressive scores, but since they haven't been to finals in a few years, I just don't see them pulling off the win just yet.

Madisonville is a 5A band in a 4A class. I just don't see anybody matching up with them in that class. Washington Co. is a close 2nd.

1A is up for grabs as much as any year I can remember.

All I keep hearing on 3A is how abstract Bourbon is and Adair has a ton of dead air, but I have to guess it will be one of these two.

Depending on who you listen to, 5A is as competitive as ever, even though PLD still has an edge given the last 2 weeks. However, this is the first year people are giving real consideration to a non-Lex. school winning.

• Upvote 4

All I keep hearing on 3A is how abstract Bourbon is and Adair has a ton of dead air, but I have to guess it will be one these.

Pretty safe guess I'd have to say. For me, this is the only class that's up in the air. Bourbon and Adair have been matching up, score-wise, all season. I think Bourbon can outplay anyone. And Adair has a great visual package. Both themes are great. It's a toss up. As far as BOA goes for these two, all I can say is it's gonna be brutal.

Edited by michael.stone

Pretty safe guess I'd have to say. For me, this is the only class that's up in the air.

1A is anybody's guess and 5A is far from over.

Heck, depending on what time of day it is, many will argue that 5A is a 3 or 4 horse race.

I'm pretty jazzed to see 3A this year. Somehow, I've mananged to see none of the top 3A bands.

For the 5A groups, I see this year being similar to 2004... Dunbar beats Lafayette at state finals, then Lafayette goes on to BOA and makes finals. BUT I'm still holding out for Lafayette to walk home the big 5A winners October 30.

4A - Madisonville is CLEAN, with music that is crystal clear - happy #6 to them.

2A - I don't have a clue. Maybe Glasgow will win it all..that'd be fun.

3A - Bourbon will walk away with #3. Adair will go to BOA and win class A.

1A - I'm forecasting Williamstown's big win... a great way to end things for Bob Gregg and Tim Hart (the dynamic duo!).

• Upvote 4

I voted for Madisonville. A, AAA, and AAAAA are always close except on rare occassions when one band kills it and AA seems to always be a toss up. AAAA is the only class that since the class change has only had 1 champion. I don't see that changing either. Maybe next year.

• Upvote 2

For the 5A groups, I see this year being similar to 2004... Dunbar beats Lafayette at state finals, then Lafayette goes on to BOA and makes finals. BUT I'm still holding out for Lafayette to walk home the big 5A winners October 30.

4A - Madisonville is CLEAN, with music that is crystal clear - happy #6 to them.

2A - I don't have a clue. Maybe Glasgow will win it all..that'd be fun.

3A - Bourbon will walk away with #3. Adair will go to BOA and win class A.

1A - I'm forecasting Williamstown's big win... a great way to end things for Bob Gregg and Tim Hart (the dynamic duo!).

Is this his last year? I have heard rumors but no confirmation. If so, I wish Mr Gregg the best. He is truly a classy man, and a great band director.

• Upvote 4

I don't know, but from what I understand he is licensed to teach. Again, this is all from a student at Williamstown. More trustworthy than some, less so than others.

I figured he would be. I'm fairly certain he is currently a teacher, not sure where or what subject. Just didn't know if he had any experience running the show. He's quite tenured, so I'm sure he will be fine if he is in fact the replacement.

Washington has the best chance to repeat just because they are in the weakest class. MNHHS is a close second even though Grant could beat them

After seeing both MNHHS and GC in person, I think the Maroons are safe this year. GC isn't quite on their level muscially, although they are slightly more entertaining than MNH to watch.

• Upvote 4