Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
WHSBANDGUY

Hold Your Applause?

I had the pleasure of returning to State Finals last night with our band. One thing that really upsets me is when a bands cheering section goes completely nuts when their band is "NOT" announced as having received second place status! This is not only rude but shows the amount of class or lack there of. I would really appreciate it that when a band knows that they have taken first at a finals competition, that they hold there excitement until it is officially announced. I am all for supporting our kids with uplifting applause and school chants, but come on---REALLY?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It's just one of those things that irritates you when it happens to you. It doesn't mean that you don't do it when you're in the situation.

Over all though, I agree with the original post's concept, but not with the passive aggression.

• Upvote 4

I have always felt a bit sorry for the band who comes in second for exactly that reason. It happens all the time, particularly at State. The last time I was there was in 2007 and the fans of EVERY band that won cheered when the second place band was announced. I thought it insensitive. I understand why it happens but I wish people would be more considerate.

I think that would solve that problem but I doubt it will ever happen. I suspect it would ruin the anticipation of the winner and people would not like it. I find it interesting that Beechwood got singled out for this behavior since my daughter who was there said that it happened with every class last night as it does swith every class every year. The Williamstown fans are guilty of doing this as well in the past. No one ever has made an issue of it before. Hopefully anyone reading this thread will try to dampen their enthusiasm until their band is announced. It is difficult though when you are so excited.

I had the pleasure of returning to State Finals last night with our band. One thing that really upsets me is when a bands cheering section goes completely nuts when their band is "NOT" announced as having received second place status! This is not only rude but shows the amount of class or lack there of. I would really appreciate it that when a band knows that they have taken first at a finals competition, that they hold there excitement until it is officially announced. I am all for supporting our kids with uplifting applause and school chants, but come on---REALLY?

As a WHS band mom of 6 years, we do the same thing so lets not get upset when it is not us. Beechwood was excited, we were excited last year, it happens. Beechwood and Williamstown have always gotten along as a rule let's not stop now. To quote Mr Gregg, "everybody love everybody!". Congrats to Beechwood and ALL the bands for a a great season.

• Upvote 1

It's just one of those things that irritates you when it happens to you. It doesn't mean that you don't do it when you're in the situation.

Over all though, I agree with the original post's concept, but not with the passive aggression.

Hi Troy! I love and miss your hugs and smiles!!

How about we just take out the whole competitive nature of the "sport" and not even have state finals? That sound like a plan?

Lets all be winners!

:ahh:

• Upvote 5

How about we just take out the whole competitive nature of the "sport" and not even have state finals? That sound like a plan?

Lets all be winners!

Next year we can just go to Papa John's Stadium and have a giant party where everyone just loves each other instead of competes! I'll bring the chips and dip!! :lol: :ahh:

• Upvote 2

Next year we can just go to Papa John's Stadium and have a giant party where everyone just loves each other instead of competes! I'll bring the chips and dip!! :lol: :ahh:

I could go for a five hour party in Papa John's. lol

• Upvote 3

I'm in for the five hour party, john haha.

excitement is probably the one thing that you shouldn't try to hold back in our activity...

As a WHS band mom of 6 years, we do the same thing so lets not get upset when it is not us. Beechwood was excited, we were excited last year, it happens. Beechwood and Williamstown have always gotten along as a rule let's not stop now. To quote Mr Gregg, "everybody love everybody!". Congrats to Beechwood and ALL the bands for a a great season.

Very well said! Thank you! And I'd also like to thank all of the Bands this year for one of the more exciting seasons that we've had in years!!! Continued success to everyone!

Lets all be winners!

We could always be like Ohio's OMEA. You don't get a score or a placement, you get a rating.

"Congratulations, you scored between an 80 and a 100, along with fourteen other bands in your class. It's a fifteen-way tie for first! We would give out medals, but we couldn't afford 3,000 gold medals. So instead, you get this meaningless, intangible rating that half the state gets anyway. You get a Superior. How does 'Superior' sound? Yeah, we figured all 3,000 of you would like that. It shows that half of you are better than the rest. As for who is the best of the best... well, you can just decide that for yourselves. Enjoy your rating!"

I love KMEA.

• Upvote 1