Kentucky Marching Network

Class 5A East Regional Quaterfinals Prediction Poll

It will definitely be a good region, but after being there saturday and being cramped into the stadium with the seven bands that were there, im wondering where they plan on putting fourteen 5A band fans. Lafayette alone covered 1/4 of the stadium! But I look forward to seeing PLD try to work and top Lafayette. Both are very good bands and neither is going to lay down so I look for that to be exciting. And adding in Madison Central and Eastern I think it will be a VERY close scoring battle! Good Luck to all bands!

1.PLD - 91.4

2.Lafayette - 91.1

3.Madison Central - 89.8

4.Eastern - 89.3

5. Dixie Heights- 86.2

6. Ryle- 86.1

7. Campbell County- 83.7

8. North Laurel- 81.4

This would be my top 8 as of right now! I could be forgetting someone though! :-/

• Upvote 1
  1. Paul Laurence Dunbar - 89.1
  2. Lafayette - 88.6
  3. Madison Central - 84.9
  4. Eastern - 84.5
  5. Tates Creek - 80.5
  6. Ryle - 79.0
  7. Dixie Heights - 78.6
  8. George Rogers Clark - 78.2
  9. Henry Clay - 76.2
  10. Campbell County - 75.7
  11. North Laurel - 73.5
  12. Ballard - 72.8
  13. Woodford County - 72.1
  14. Bryan Station - 69.8

I'll try.

Lafayette 90.4

Madison Central 89.2

PLD 88.5

Eastern 87.9

Tates Creek 84.2

Dixie 83.1

Ryle 82.8

Henry Clay 80.4

I feel like Dunbar can catch up and possibly even win, but I doubt it because they still have to add more of their closer plus the ending they had at Bryan station was very dirty musically. If they can clean up those flute and trumpet runs, then they might have a great shot in the end, but as of now, I'm good with my top 8.

• Upvote 1

PLD's show is actually my least favorite of the top four. My putting them in first place is because of a combination of PLD's good draw, the less than desirable draws of the other three, the fact that the judges seem to like PLD's show a lot more than I do, and a hunch I have that Lafayette will have an "off" performance before turning on the jets for state. That tends to happen between the two Lexington goliaths. Plus, the judges always seem to score everyone else way too far behind the top two at regionals (with one notable exception). My scoring would be different from how the judges see it, but they have a bunch of experience life's work in the musical field and I don't, so their opinions matter and mine don't. If you want me to post how I think it should turn out, then I can do that.

I think it's pretty cool how Dunbar and Lafayette have such different styles yet amaze me every time I watch them...

Does anyone else think that at state every year it comes down to personal preference from the judges??? Maybe not even consciously but it seems like it would have an affect on the judges.

It's not a secret that I tend to always prefer dunbars style.. I wasn't in their band or have any family that was but I still say I'm biased because all most year after year I prefer their show design. It just seems hard to believe that some judges aren't like that too. Idk

You are right it is a shame. There will be bands that are considered some of the best in the state that consistently week in and week out win contests and/or do very well at contests that will not advance from this region; yet in other regions and classes bands that might not even make finals at a local contest will advance to State due to weaker competition. I think the classification needs to be looked at again. The biggest issue is that the school size difference in Class 5A from the smallest school to the largest school is dramatically different than the spread in the other four classes; in some cases about 1000 students different. Plus there are MANY 5A size schools that choose not to compete in KMEA or have gone non-competitive alltogether, (Boone Co., Conner, Lousiville Male, Shelby County, the list goes on and on) making the 5A East region the biggest disparity between the actual school size numbers. If some of those schools came back or they counted their numbers then the difference in school size would change because the smaller 5A schools would then get pushed down to 4A. It does not make sense on paper. Also the "Golden Triangle" is all located in the East side making it more difficult than the West as well. It makes for a very competitive region which can be fun and challenging; however in the scheme of things it really is not fair that excellent bands do not get to advance to State simply because of where there school is located while other bands get to go because their field is less competitive.

• Upvote 4

PLD's show is actually my least favorite of the top four. My putting them in first place is because of a combination of PLD's good draw, the less than desirable draws of the other three, the fact that the judges seem to like PLD's show a lot more than I do, and a hunch I have that Lafayette will have an "off" performance before turning on the jets for state. That tends to happen between the two Lexington goliaths. Plus, the judges always seem to score everyone else way too far behind the top two at regionals (with one notable exception). My scoring would be different from how the judges see it, but they have a bunch of experience life's work in the musical field and I don't, so their opinions matter and mine don't. If you want me to post how I think it should turn out, then I can do that.

Other than 2007, can somebody name a year where east regionals didn't go LHS/PLD 1-2?

...and, yes, the point spreads tend to lean toward the special ed range.

Dixie Heights is scheduled to go on first @4:00pm......If they dont have a SOLID run, they could possibly NOT make semi-finals. This would be a BIG dissapointed for this program. Its going to be anyones game this day. It will all depend on who shows up to win.......I believe the luck of the draw for some bands will fall in their favor.

• Upvote 2