Kentucky Marching Network

Hopkinsville Contest-10/18

The bands aren't bad here, you have Madisonville, what a program that is, Murray is pretty good (although I rarely like their shows)

Muhlenberg and Daviess are good. As far as AA Caldwell and Trigg are pretty good. But in the east there is PLD, Lafayette, Bourbon, Adair, Madison Central, Williamstown, Beechwood, Garrard, Russell County, Tates Creek, Eastern, etc. haha

Remember that the geographic center of the state is near Lebanon and the population center even further east. With Henderson, Todd, Webster, and Hopkinsville on the ascent, maybe the center of excellence will shift a bit also.

You also have Trigg still up there with a return of Caldwell, Calloway seems to be returning, Mayfield is getting good, as is Owensboro Catholic. Not necassarily to see East fall but to see even talent on both sides more so than there already is. Add these with Murray and Madisonville, Daviess and Muhlenberg and you have a rising West.

I heard the new director at Hoptown is a graduate of Muhlenberg and they wanted to support him in his first year. Lyon County, Mayfield and Paducah Tilghman went to Hoptown too. I am still kinda shocked at how few bands went to FOC this year. FOC only had two more bands than Hoptown. Meade County went to Grayson Co. today. That's two more bands that usually go to FOC. Now that I think about it maybe this year there were more alternatives that were closer than going all the way to Murray. Seeing that State is at Richmond, maybe travel expenses played a part in Murray's down numbers. Who really knows?

Finals Results:

GC: Muhlenberg County - 85.9

RGC: Henderson County - 82.7

3rd: Owensboro High School - 80.7

4th: Greenwood - 78.25

5th: Mayfield - 78.25 (Tie, maybe?)

6th: McLean County - 76.2

7th: Owensboro Catholic - 74.8

8th: Paducah Tilghman - 74.45

9th: Russellville - 71.65

10th: Crittenden County - 69.85

Before finals awards, they had some technical difficulty. I guess the scores got mixed up? I don't know. But, good job to all the bands! I loved Muhlenberg's show. Their win is well deserved.

The reason Dawson doesn't have all the drill for our show done yet is because we had band camp on a different schedule this year. We thought it would be a good idea, but it ended up with us only having about half of the opener's drill done by the end of band camp. Usually we have the whole thing or close to it. The weather hasn't helped much due to how little we practice. At Dawson you can do other sports and stuff alongside band, which causes missed practices, making it hard to teach drill when the weather is good. We had practice today, however and taught drill for 50% of the closer, and will finish most if not all of the show by Saturday for quarterfinals. But yeah, like someone said, our band has the majority of the high school in it lol. So many people don't care and don't try, though, but it has gotten better this year compared to ones in the past. So that's good I suppose

Edited by ConnorLeeWithSomeTea
  • Upvote 1

The reason Dawson doesn't have all the drill for our show done yet is because we had band camp on a different schedule this year. We thought it would be a good idea, but it ended up with us only having about half of the opener's drill done by the end of band camp. Usually we have the whole thing or close to it. The weather hasn't helped much due to how little we practice. At Dawson you can do other sports and stuff alongside band, which causes missed practices, making it hard to teach drill when the weather is good. We had practice today, however and taught drill for 50% of the closer, and will finish most if not all of the show by Saturday for quarterfinals. But yeah, like someone said, our band has the majority of the high school in it lol. So many people don't care and don't try, though, but it has gotten better this year compared to ones in the past. So that's good I suppose

I am always so pleased when Mr. Hall fields a competitive group from Dawson Springs; I grew up in Madisonville and always enjoyed seeing Dawson Springs at events. A large group (especially given the school size) and they always seemed to have FUN. They've had good years, and some bad, but kudos to them (and to all bands) for putting something together, working as hard as they can, and enjoying the experience of performing and playing music!

I am always so pleased when Mr. Hall fields a competitive group from Dawson Springs; I grew up in Madisonville and always enjoyed seeing Dawson Springs at events. A large group (especially given the school size) and they always seemed to have FUN. They've had good years, and some bad, but kudos to them (and to all bands) for putting something together, working as hard as they can, and enjoying the experience of performing and playing music!

Yeah it's definetly a fun experience. Our principal and superintendent even grilled for us at the hopkinsville show! :D I'm having to transfer to Henderson Co High school here next week after marching band at Dawson is over. I hate to leave Dawson.

Yeah it's definetly a fun experience. Our principal and superintendent even grilled for us at the hopkinsville show! :D I'm having to transfer to Henderson Co High school here next week after marching band at Dawson is over. I hate to leave Dawson.

That's fantastic about the administration doing that, I'm sure Henderson County will be better off for having a student like you.

• Upvote 1