Kentucky Marching Network
mulandarnthorn27

2017 KMEA PREDICTIONS

I did say what I came to say. You can see it in predictions. He asked if it was a gut feeling or if I knew something and I simply said to wait and see come Finals. No need to be rude about it.

I'm not being rude, what I said is true: there is no point to saying things like that.

Guest Donald J. Trump

I'm not being rude, what I said is true: there is no point to saying things like that.

It's rude not to respond to a question when someone asks politely. He responded politely. I don't see what the big deal is.

• Downvote 1

It did come off very rude. Especially around the "keep your mouth shut" part.

In reality, no matter what PLD is going through, we can't really count them out completely until we see them this weekend.

Personally, I will be surprised if Anderson or Hopkinsville fall out of finals. Both have been steadily improving year after year, and I don't see many bands in the class that can beat them. As for the Madisonville discussion, and I know I'm very late on this, they had Rob Bryant as their director for a long time. It makes sense that when you lose a director as good as him you will feel it, and they have. I think they lost numbers last year but have built them back up, and they're not as musically proficient as they once were. However, I don't want to discount the program at all because it is still one of the most established band programs in the state, and those kids worked their tails off to achieve every state title they received. I have nothing but respect for the organization and I hope to seethe marching maroons back in finals soon. I would like to see them venture into a more BOA type show, but I can say the same about many of the bands in the state. But when we look at these bands, they're all giving us something different, and in all reality, it comes down to what those six judges on Saturday afternoon think is the best product on the field.

Edited by Paradice

Lafayette has always had the best visual technique in 5A and black pants are just going to push that over the top. I love this show already its classic lafayette with a twist and it might just put them on top. Its not gonna be easy for anyone in tA thats for sure.

I haven't been on here in a while. So howdy! I gotta disagree^^. PLD for the past 10-15yrs has been known to have the tightest visual. Meaning, cleanest feet, straightest lines, etc. What Lafayette always has is size and typically good usage of colors, which is also an aspect of visual...However, as far as cleanest feet, I'd have to give that award to PLD almost every year...But they are on their 3rd band director (counting Jeff Hood) in the past 3 years, their numbers are WAY down, but I suspect they will increase in size once again, in the coming years. They're behind on drill because they had to wait too long to find out their #'s and they recruited up until the last minute. Brian Morgan has been there for 27yrs and he definitely knows his stuff. He worked under Craig Cornish, Jeff Hood and Teresa Eliot. Not a bad pedigree at all. We've all see bands be behind in drill before and still pull it together and make state finals. Many times we all have seen this over this years. Is it ideal? No, not at all. But totally doable. I wouldn't count them out just yet. I wouldn't put a huge stock on whatever happens at the Lafayette contest either. It's still very early.

Hmmm... x5705z.png

Oh burn. You really "zinged" me there didn't ya? This petty crap is why I never come on here anymore. You guys "get off" on being pricks to each other, and I find it hilariously sad. VERY SAD and PATHETIC... Also, I said 10-15 years, not just from 2010-2016.... Guess what? Between 2003 and 2011 PLD won 6 state championships, and their visual was AWESOME in doing so. Way to omit those scores from your "burn" of me. ALSO, I was saying PLD is known for the visual. Who ACTUALLY knows what they're talking about would disagree with PLD's visual strengths?? Being smaller the last couple of years SHOULD have helped their visual scores, but you can't control judges who are wow'ed by big and loud. Which SHOULD have NOTHING to do with visual score, but...Typically when PLD and North Hardin got to BOA they score higher than other KY bands. Not always, but typically. So again, I applaud your effort to "burn" me, and Captain Stubbing up to his usual crappy comments like "bringing out the receipts". Way to tag team me. You guys need to grow up and get a life. Seriously. Oh, and JayDud you can defend yourself by saying something generic like, " I was just stating facts" or something like that...But in reality you're just being a prick. I've been doing this for 25 years now, so I sure ain't no rookie, and I am pretty confident that I know what I am talking about. Also find it hilarious that for 3 years running now, MOST of you onion heads on this board have PLD as the "bubble band". Boy, I bet you guys are just salivating at the thought of Ryle or someone taking their Finals spot. Bunch of homers for Lafayette, Madison Central and North Hardin on this board. Most PLD supporters have TOO MUCH CLASS to engage in this idiocy. I don't worry about class on this board because few of y'all display it on here... and yes I can be petty too. You guys are transparent losers. Syanora, dorks.

Edited by LongTimeFan92
  • Downvote 6

Oh burn. You really "zinged" me there didn't ya? This petty crap is why I never come on here anymore. You guys "get off" on being pricks to each other, and I find it hilariously sad. VERY SAD and PATHETIC... Also, I said 10-15 years, not just from 2010-2016.... Guess what? Between 2003 and 2011 PLD won 6 state championships, and their visual was AWESOME in doing so. Way to omit those scores from your "burn" of me. ALSO, I was saying PLD is known for the visual. Who ACTUALLY knows what they're talking about would disagree with PLD's visual strengths?? Being smaller the last couple of years SHOULD have helped their visual scores, but you can't control judges who are wow'ed by big and loud. Which SHOULD have NOTHING to do with visual score, but...Typically when PLD and North Hardin got to BOA they score higher than other KY bands. Not always, but typically. So again, I applaud your effort to "burn" me, and Captain Stubbing up to his usual crappy comments like "bringing out the receipts". Way to tag team me. You guys need to grow up and get a life. Seriously. Oh, and JayDud you can defend yourself by saying something generic like, " I was just stating facts" or something like that...But in reality you're just being a prick. I've been doing this for 25 years now, so I sure ain't no rookie, and I am pretty confident that I know what I am talking about. Also find it hilarious that for 3 years running now, MOST of you onion heads on this board have PLD as the "bubble band". Boy, I bet you guys are just salivating at the thought of Ryle or someone taking their Finals spot. Bunch of homers for Lafayette, Madison Central and North Hardin on this board. Most PLD supporters have TOO MUCH CLASS to engage in this idiocy. I don't worry about class on this board because few of y'all display it on here... and yes I can be petty too. You guys are transparent losers. Syanora, dorks.

Sayonara*

Get zinged boy

• Upvote 2

I dont think anybody meant any disrespect to PLD. Honestly its aparent that you didn't even read through the conversation enough to know what you were defending in the first place. And personally PLD is one of the last bands I want to see drop but to say they're not a bubble band this year is just not realistic. They're on theyre 3rd director and down to 110 members. that's thats the size of the top 2A/3A bands. I'm not saying we should count PLD out on numbers alone. I think in this state a band that size can take down bands twice their size. But we're not gonna see the PLD from 10 years ago and I think they have a harder battle to fight compared to the rest of 5A

Edited by Saxophone2494

This is the best day on this forums in years. I am living for it

For the record, here are PLD's visual scores from the ten years beforehand since you are really into that apparently:

2009: 3rd, 3rd

2008: 3rd, 1st

2007: 2st, 1st

2006: 2nd, 3rd

2005: 1st, 1st

2004: 1st, 1st

2003: 2nd, 1st

2002: 2nd, 3rd

2001: 1st, 1st

2000: PLD did not make finals

Point here being, Dunbar has never consistently been the "visual powerhouse". There were a few years in the early 2000's where they mostly beat the other 4A bands visually, but to claim that they are the top visual band for the last 15 years then get incredibly, hilariously, upset when someone pulls out some facts to dispute your claim.

I love PLD, I was their biggest homer for years and years, and I despised Lafayette. Now I'm older and just pull for whatever bands put on the shows I most enjoy. And that hasn't been PLD since 2008.

I don't need to defend myself - scores are what they are. And I had this long response, but frankly - you called me prick and I'm not going to waste my time on immaturity.

I will say this more broadly because posting scores has nothing to do with my feelings - I have nothing but the best of wishes to PLD this year and in the future.

Edited by JayDub

This is the best day on this forums in years. I am living for it

For the record, here are PLD's visual scores from the ten years beforehand since you are really into that apparently:

2009: 3rd, 3rd

2008: 3rd, 1st

2007: 2st, 1st

2006: 2nd, 3rd

2005: 1st, 1st

2004: 1st, 1st

2003: 2nd, 1st

2002: 2nd, 3rd

2001: 1st, 1st

2000: PLD did not make finals

Point here being, Dunbar has never consistently been the "visual powerhouse". There were a few years in the early 2000's where they mostly beat the other 4A bands visually, but to claim that they are the top visual band for the last 15 years then get incredibly, hilariously, upset when someone pulls out some facts to dispute your claim.

I love PLD, I was their biggest homer for years and years, and I despised Lafayette. Now I'm older and just pull for whatever bands put on the shows I most enjoy. And that hasn't been PLD since 2008.

His comments were grossly overreacting to the situation put foreword. However, to play devils advocate, I do remember arguing last year that PLD had the best feet in 5A.

I am well aware that that is NOT the only thing that goes into the visual scores. For instance, I was sitting too low to easily see forms, and it made it hard for me to evaluate what the judges were going to say, and as it turns out their forms were much messier than their feet were. Remember, it is possible for people with good feet to lose visual due to form control, so visual scores do not necessarily represent the end-all-be-all for their marching style.

His comments were grossly overreacting to the situation put foreword. However, to play devils advocate, I do remember arguing last year that PLD had the best feet in 5A.

I am well aware that that is NOT the only thing that goes into the visual scores. For instance, I was sitting too low to easily see forms, and it made it hard for me to evaluate what the judges were going to say, and as it turns out their forms were much messier than their feet were. Remember, it is possible for people with good feet to lose visual due to form control, so visual scores do not necessarily represent the end-all-be-all for their marching style.

Had his/her post said, "PLD has the best feet in KMEA (period)" I can see your point, but it didn't.

Edited by JayDub

Guest Donald J. Trump

Well how about that. Someone got their panties in a twist and I wasn't involved this time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In regard to the comment about the forum being full of Lafayette, North Hardin, and Madison Central homers - To be fair, Lafayette and North Hardin are traditionally two of the largest bands in the state (Madison Central only more recently) so it would make sense that alumni and supporters of those programs would represent a higher population of participants in this forum.

• Upvote 1

1A

1. Murray

2. Beechwood

3. Williamstown

4. Mayfield

Murray wins at last. I won't stop putting them first. Always in the wedding party but never married. It needs to happen. Now.

2A

1. Adair County

2. Washington County

3. Estill County

4. Garrard County

I hate that this happened during Casey Counties rise, but hopefully it'll only happen this year and Adair will be back in 3A next year. This class needs to step up their effort if they want to try to compete with Adair County. Washington County was on fire last year and I think they'll pass Estill County who I believe will be frantic trying to keep their top spot.

3A

1. Bourbon County

2. Russell County

3. Taylor County

4. Harrison County

I'm sure I'm gonna get smack for putting Harrison County in, but if ever there was a chance for them to make their finals comeback it's this year. With Adair County dropping to 2A and Blevins leaving Boyle County, it's opened up 2 finals spots. I believe Taylor will hold on to their spot, and the fourth spot will be left between Boyle County, Allen County-Scottsville, Calloway County, and Harrison County.

4A

1. Grant County

2. Barren County

3. Hopkinsville

4. Anderson County

Grant County wins. I know people are gonna say "Oh, well they weren't even in finals last year", and I'm gonna tell them to shut up. They're still a great band, and from what I've been told I believe they will do more than make an epic comeback to finals. Madisonville I believe will sit out once again and become overshadowed by their neighbor Hopkinsville for a while. Excited to see that Barren County has decided to stay, I just hope they up the anty a little this year. Their show was good last year, but slightly boring. Anderson has a big graduating class and I believe it'll take its toll on them, but I see them holding onto finals.

5A

1. North Hardin

2. Lafayette

3. Larry A. Ryle

4. Central Hardin

Depending on whether Paul Laurence Dunbar decides to compete or not, and whether how they and Madison Central take to the director changes depends on who makes finals. I believe one of them will fall out this year, and depending on how well Ryle takes to their director and/or if Central Hardin continues their climb we could see both of them in finals.

How fitting was your comment back in April about Murray and the bridal party in relation to their "bridesmaid" show this season... did you already know the show concept or are you some kind of mind trick band wizard...ha! 😉

Guest Donald J. Trump

How fitting was your comment back in April about Murray and the bridal party in relation to their "bridesmaid" show this season... did you already know the show concept or are you some kind of mind trick band wizard...ha! 😉

I've always said they were always a bridesmaid but never a bride. Lol. It just so happened they took advantage of their situation and decided to go for it. The or saw my comment and thought it would make a good show. Who knows. Lol.

We're here again after another great weekend.

A

1. Williamstown

2. Murray

3. Beechwood

4. Campbellsville

Absolutely in love with Williamstown this year. Killing it!

AA

1. Adair

2. Estill

3. Garrard

4. LaRue

I really want Casey to pull through and make finals. They deserve it after putting out such a great product this year. But as of now, it seems like LaRue is pulling ahead. Keep pushing Casey!

AAA

1. Bourbon

2. Russell

3. Harrison

4. Taylor

I'll keep this short. Harrison is back, baby.

AAAA

1. Anderson

2. Barren

3. Grant

4. Hopkinsville

Not even sure what to do with this class in all honesty. Any of the top 8 in 4A could make finals, so this will most likely be wrong. I just want Anderson to finally get that blue medal.

AAAAA

1. Lafayette

2. North Hardin

3. Madison Central

4. Ryle

Can't help but to feel like this is how finals in 5A will shape up, especially after Lafayette results. Poor Dunbar... although I hear they were still very strong, I trust the judges panel at that contest.

I've always said they were always a bridesmaid but never a bride. Lol. It just so happened they took advantage of their situation and decided to go for it. The or saw my comment and thought it would make a good show. Who knows. Lol.

Either way! Pretty cool! Haha

Totally my predictions based on live shows I've seen and videos alike. A couple of the bands I hvent seen anything on and hence added them based on history and my "gut" 😉

1A

Williamstown (I'm in love with this show- gives me the same vibes as their 2014 Galaxy Show- not sure if they'll have to launch the enchantress into the air to top that rocket though...but I'm sure whatever bells and whistles they add will be pretty incredible)

Murray

Beechwood

Cambellsville

2A

Estill (I know allot of people have Adair sweeping this because of class changes but I think Estill has the drive to make it happen! And with Adair on their backs as a class 2 competitor I think they'll use that as fuel to wow us)

Adair

Garrard

Larue

3A

Bourbon (hands down best 3A showing right now!)

Harrison

Russell

Taylor

4A (all 4A predictions are totally more of Gut feelings with a little history and scoring involved! I dont follow 4A as closely as some of the other classes unfortunately)

Hopkinsville

Grant

Anderson

Barron

5A

Lafyette (it's my favorite L show in at least the past 5 or 6 years! It's so unlike anything they're used to being tied too!)

Ryle -THEY HAVE SHOWN UP! Going to give the usual 5A heavy hitters a run for their money!!

Mad-Central

North Hardin

Edited by Heartonthefield

2A

Estill (I know allot of people have Adair sweeping this because of class changes but I think Estill has the drive to make it happen! And with Adair on their backs as a class 2 competitor I think they'll use that as fuel to wow us)

Adair

Garrard

Larue

I'm trying not to laugh