Kentucky Marching Network

Adair County needs to be in this discussion, as well. Not sure about Daviess County since their recent staff changes, but they're usually a really high quality percussion section, as well.

Your top 10 most likely looks like this in no order.

Tates Creek

Henry Clay

Campbell

Dixie Heights

Adair

Madison Central

Anderson

Garrard

Woodford

Southwestern

Bullitt East, Central Hardin, Eastern, and Barren are all great mentions as well. It’s crucial to understand overall musicality, and what their percussion programs do outside of marching band when it comes to saying who’s better and who isn’t. Kentucky is a fantastic percussion state, and any of the names mentioned could beat the other on any night.

Edit: except for Tates Creek. Nobody will be touching them as long as Brian Flack is there, and I will stand by that.

Edited by Synergy
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't say that. Campbell did beat them at overall percussion at Dixie.

Like I said, it’s more to me than just what they do during marching season. Flack works those kids, they’re all getting a seriously solid education. I know Creek works year round on overall musicianship and actually making their kids real percussionists, not just a snare drummer or a marimba player.

Like I said, it's more to me than just what they do during marching season. Flack works those kids, they're all getting a seriously solid education. I know Creek works year round on overall musicianship and actually making their kids real percussionists, not just a snare drummer or a marimba player.

Campbell placed 4th out of 13 groups at WGi worlds in PSCO, saying that campbell can only play marimba and snare and aren't real percussionists is wildly condescending and flat out wrong. With them going to KMEA this year as well its obvious they are true percussionists and can play more than two instruments.

• Upvote 1

Campbell placed 4th out of 13 groups at WGi worlds in PSCO, saying that campbell can only play marimba and snare and aren't real percussionists is wildly condescending and flat out wrong. With them going to KMEA this year as well its obvious they are true percussionists and can play more than two instruments.

*sigh*

I’m not saying that’s all they can play.

In marching band, one person is assigned to one instrument. For the entirety of the season. Meaning you see the same people, on the same drum, or board, everywhere they go. WGI, it’s the same concept. Just indoor. Tates Creek has performed at PASIC and always has numerous small ensembles where they work the chops on each percussion students weakest links. If one student is proficient at snare drum, they will be put on a board part, where they might be a novice. Those chops are worked to the point to where by the time that they graduate, they are proficient in every facet of percussion.

I did not say that all Campbell could play is snare and marimba, nor did I say they weren’t “real percussionists.” I thought it’d be obviously that I’m a huge fan of what Campbell does, because I have them in my top 10 percussion schools in the state. All I said is that I know for a FACT that Tates Creek makes sure that you leave that school a percussionist, and not just a drummer or mallet player. Being a percussion student myself, that is a lot harder to come by than you would think. That’s what is most important, though. Don’t put as much weight into scores, put it into education.

Edited by Synergy

*sigh*

I’m not saying that’s all they can play.

In marching band, one person is assigned to one instrument. For the entirety of the season. Meaning you see the same people, on the same drum, or board, everywhere they go. WGI, it’s the same concept. Just indoor. Tates Creek has performed at PASIC and always has numerous small ensembles where they work the chops on each percussion students weakest links. If one student is proficient at snare drum, they will be put on a board part, where they might be a novice. Those chops are worked to the point to where by the time that they graduate, they are proficient in every facet of percussion.

I did not say that all Campbell could play is snare and marimba, nor did I say they weren’t “real percussionists.” I thought it’d be obviously that I’m a huge fan of what Campbell does, because I have them in my top 10 percussion schools in the state. All I said is that I know for a FACT that Tates Creek makes sure that you leave that school a percussionist, and not just a drummer or mallet player. Being a percussion student myself, that is a lot harder to come by than you would think. That’s what is most important, though. Don’t put as much weight into scores, put it into education.

Okay, i see what you’re saying. It just sounded like from your previous comment that you meant everyone knew two instruments and that was it. I do agree that tates creek probably focuses more on overall percussion comprehension, while campbell focuses more on putting a student in one place and then building that area very strong, with a more basic comprehension on the other area. I do think that that has to do with Campbell only getting good over the past few years. Tates Creek has been very good for a long time allowing them to spread out and focus their students over many different areas, While Campbell focused on putting students in a place and sticking with what worked in order to build the program.

Edited by LuminareHQ

Your top 10 most likely looks like this in no order.

Tates Creek

Henry Clay

Campbell

Dixie Heights

Adair

Madison Central

Anderson

Garrard

Woodford

Southwestern

Bullitt East, Central Hardin, Eastern, and Barren are all great mentions as well. It's crucial to understand overall musicality, and what their percussion programs do outside of marching band when it comes to saying who's better and who isn't. Kentucky is a fantastic percussion state, and any of the names mentioned could beat the other on any night.

Edit: except for Tates Creek. Nobody will be touching them as long as Brian Flack is there, and I will stand by that.

I think you need to check some facts here. Brian Flack is a wonderful percussion teacher but to say no one will touch Tates Creek as long as he is there has already been proven inaccurate! They have lost to several of the groups listed in your 10 over the years including Henry Clay, Dixie, Adair, Madison Central and more including Eastern High School in the past. So.... to say no one will be touching them is a bit of a over statement. I say this with all due respect to Brian Flack and his time spent at Tates Creek!

Most of the 10 you have listed here are credible for this season although I would not have Garrard in my top 10, I think I would replace them with Barren County. It would be hard to place these groups in order as several of them have not and will not see each other this season. From videos and in person performances I have seem I would say in no order Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Adair, Madison Central and Campbell County would be my top 5. In general Kentucky Marching Band percussion sections are way behind the curve of standards set by states such by Texas, Indiana, Florida, California and Tennessee.

I think you need to check some facts here. Brian Flack is a wonderful percussion teacher but to say no one will touch Tates Creek as long as he is there has already been proven inaccurate! They have lost to several of the groups listed in your 10 over the years including Henry Clay, Dixie, Adair, Madison Central and more including Eastern High School in the past. So.... to say no one will be touching them is a bit of a over statement. I say this with all due respect to Brian Flack and his time spent at Tates Creek!

Most of the 10 you have listed here are credible for this season although I would not have Garrard in my top 10, I think I would replace them with Barren County. It would be hard to place these groups in order as several of them have not and will not see each other this season. From videos and in person performances I have seem I would say in no order Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Adair, Madison Central and Campbell County would be my top 5. In general Kentucky Marching Band percussion sections are way behind the curve of standards set by states such by Texas, Indiana, Florida, California and Tennessee.

Yes, they have lost to those groups before but as said earlier, I will always put more weight into the education given to the students over scores. I formed my top 10 with education in mind.

The crazy thing about campbell is that they are just getting started. Dean Marotta is the assistant at the high school and runs their percussion program. He's been there six years. They went from having 70 kids in band when I graduated to over 200 now. They now have two percussion ensemble classes during school. They are playing at KMEA this year. There WGI group and marching group were phenomenal. Dean's the real deal and is just getting the percussion stuff rolling. There marching band is over 170 and is really young and already really good. Watch a video, they can really play. I heard they have four concert bands now, one of which played at KMEA last year. And they just posted there new marching band uniforms on Facebook. I think they are for next season though. I am obviously biased as an alum but I think they are one of the most well rounded band programs in the state. And they have gotten better year and year. I'm excited to see them down the road.

• Upvote 1