Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Crunch

Most Obvious State Champions

As a part of my never ending quest to come up with good off season topics, I thought it would be fun to discuss bands that simply DOMINATED the competition. So let’s come up with a list of the most obvious state champions ever.

Of bands I actually saw at state finals, here’s my list, in no particular order:

1. Adair 2017.

We all knew all season they would win class 2A by quite a large spread. And, well, they did.

2. Lafayette 2012.

Throughout the season we all knew Lafayette had the best show, but were unsure what would happen because their performance level was very inconsistent. However, once I saw them at quarterfinals, it was clear everyone else was competiting for second.

3. Dunbar 2005.

I still actually think Lafayette had harder music and brought more emotion to finals in 2005. But Dunbar was just so superior in every other way that it was obvious that they were going to win. It was obvious all season.

4. Bourbon 2009.

Adair had a lackluster show and Bourbon came off their first championship in 2008 with an even better and more talented group. The math made it clear.

Of bands before my time:

Multiple Lafayette and Adair bands from the 90’s I’m sure, haha

Edited by Captain Crunch

Lafayette 1990 - 2001

Adair almost any year in the 90s.

Harrison 1999

GRC 1996

Any year for Madisonville through their 10 year dominance.

Boyle 2001 - 2003

Harrison 2003

Honorable mentions

Lafayette 2004 (Thought this should should've won, one of their greats. I can see why it didn't win though.)

Russell 2003 (That power though! They won, but it wasn't as that clear throughout the season)

Madison Central 2004

Edited by Incognito
  • Upvote 1

Lafayette 1990 - 2001

Harrison 1999

GRC 1996

Boyle 2001 - 2003

Harrison 2003

Honorable mentions

Lafayette 2004 (Thought this should should've won, one of their greats. I can see why it didn't win though.)

Russell 2003 (That power though! They won, but it wasn't as that clear throughout the season)

Madison Central 2004

I'll contest 2001. It may just be me being a homer but Hazard 2001 was [insert fifty fire emojis]

Lafayette most of rhe 90s, 2009, 2012, 2013

Adair every year till '96, 97, 2005, 2007, 2015, 2017

PLD 2005, 2007

Bourbon County 2013

Estill county 2016

Garrard county 2014

Williamstown 2009, 2014

Beechwood 2011, 2015, 2016

Madville MOST but not all of their winning years

Murray 2017

That's all I can think of right now

Omg I forgot about Adair 2007. It was obvious when I saw them at Boyle County that they were the best band in Kentucky by far that year.

Lafayette 1990 - 2001

Harrison 1999

GRC 1996

Boyle 2001 - 2003

Harrison 2003

Honorable mentions

Madison Central 2004

GRC wasn't at state in 1996. They were AA that year and had a very rough year.

GRC wasn't at state in 1996. They were AA that year and had a very rough year.

I meant 1986. Oops.

I meant 1986. Oops.

I thought you probably did. I agree with you but it is interesting that North Hardin won AAAA prelims that day. GRC came back to win in finals and was declared the overall state champion. KMEA never declared an overall champion again that.

I thought you probably did. I agree with you but it is interesting that North Hardin won AAAA prelims that day. GRC came back to win in finals and was declared the overall state champion. KMEA never declared an overall champion again that.

Which is sad since now some of our smaller bands can compete with the big boys now.

Which is sad since now some of our smaller bands can compete with the big boys now.

What small bands do you think would have been overall champion?

I think in 2007, 2010, and 2015, the best band in the state was Adair and they would have been the overall champion, pretty much every other year I think it would be the 5A champ

What small bands do you think would have been overall champion?

I think in 2007, 2010, and 2015, the best band in the state was Adair and they would have been the overall champion, pretty much every other year I think it would be the 5A champ

Well, Williamstown 2014 proved they could have, I believe Beechwood could have in 2011 as well.

Well, Williamstown 2014 proved they could have, I believe Beechwood could have in 2011 as well.

I honestly don’t think either would have come within 2 points in direct competition with the 5A champions at the end of the season. 2014 was a weak year, but Madison Central was the best band I saw at finals.

The best band in 2011 was Lafayette, followed by Adair, the Dunbar, then Beechwood, in my opinion.

I honestly don’t think either would have come within 2 points in direct competition with the 5A champions at the end of the season. 2014 was a weak year, but Madison Central was the best band I saw at finals.

The best band in 2011 was Lafayette, followed by Adair, the Dunbar, then Beechwood, in my opinion.

I still think they could have given them a run for their money. I'll have to think of a few others. I know there's more km my opinion, but I'm too pooped to think right now.

Small bands that could've won overall state champ in my opinion

Adair 1997 I don't know much about this year other than Adair was on FIRE. but the 4A bands then couldve been 10 points better for all I know

Harrison 2003- maybe not overall because this was when PLD was flame and just a year before Lafayette made GN finals BUT State Of the Heart couldve won over all state champ say... 6 years later in 09 EASILY.

Adair 2005- EVERYONE forgets this amazing show. Again not sure if it would've won overall but it wouldve been an extremely close 2nd or 3rd. In fact Adair and PLD tied for the highest score that night and Adair had a higher music composite score so by those scores Adair would have been overall state champ. But of course we do that stupid split panel thing so who knows...

Adair 2007- obvious that night obvious now....

Bourbon 2008- again not sure if this show would've won finals in 08 but other years later on or even before I think it would've and it would've been a close 3rd to PLD and Lafayette in 08

Bourbon 2009- it was a good show in a weak year. they Deffinetly couldve won an overall title in 2009

Adair 2010- one of the most inovated shows the state has seen and it went home with the highest score again that night making it the 3rd time I believe Adair had the highest score in the state.

Adair/Bourbon 2011- I think 5A was weak this year and Adair had an amazing show and BOCO didn't let them have that title without a serious fight. finals night I was shocked to learn 5A had scored higher than 3A and I still believe that the pure electric performances Adair and BOCO put out that night would land them 1 and 2 overall.

Russell 2014- BIG BIG MAYBE. I think they had a better show than Central but central was out to get it so I'm not sure. I also think 2014 was an extremely weak year for all but a few.

Adair 2015- only band I realistically see touching this show is North Hardin.

Some small bands that wouldve placed well but I'm almost certain wouldn't have won overall

Bourbon 2006

Adair 2006

Williamstown 2008

Adair 2008

Williamstown 2009

Beechwood 2010

Williamstown 2010

Beechwood 2011

Bourbon 2013

Williamstown 2014

Adair 2014

Bourbon 2015

Beechwood 2016

Estill 2016

Bourbon 2016

Russell 2016

Adair 2017

I honestly don't think either would have come within 2 points in direct competition with the 5A champions at the end of the season. 2014 was a weak year, but Madison Central was the best band I saw at finals.

Hard disagree on 2014, but I've railed enough on here about how much I adore Williamstown 2014 and beyond that I know how hard it is to win this fight.

I think Hazard 1993 would have done fantastic overall HAD THERE BEEN FINALS. I also think they'd do extremely well overall in 1994 but maybe not AS well. Harrison 1999 probably would have been within inches of Lafayette (SCANDALOUS OPINION). Early-mid 2000s though I don't see anyone even touching Dunbar and Lafayette. I just don't see it, other than Adair in 2007. Since then, there's a fairly good argument for a few smaller bands in 2010, but despite Beechwood 2011 being one of their absolute best shows, I don't see them being anywhere close to Lafayette and Dunbar (imo though Lafayette should have marched that show in the classic uniforms(which is a little hypocritical for me because I love the uniforms they've used since but oh well)). There's a very good argument for a few bands in 2016 as well.

I honestly dont believe any 1A band in the New class system (05 to now) would have ever won an overall title and I think one or two couldve gotten 3rd-5th at best. Only small bands that are able to compete with 5A every few years is what use to be the 3A power houses.

Starting from the class change in 05, here is who I think would have been overall champion each year (note that I'm only considering bands that actually won, not bands that should have won):

2005: PLD Celestial Bodies

2006: Lafayette American Times

2007: Adair ConTempo (it is tough not having PLD's My Immortal here, but this was perhaps Tim Allen's best show of all time)

2008: Lafayette Allure

2009: Lafayette Metamorphosis (Bourbon wouldn't have been far behind and certainly could have won)

2010: Adair Story People (PLD would have been in contention)

2011: PLD Shine (ugh)

2012: Lafayette Desert Rose

2013: Lafayette With All My Heart (Bourbon was very strong this year and could have done it, but it's unlikely imo)

2014: Madison Central Vendetta

2015: Adair Threshold

2016: Madison Central Deafening (this one is the most painful)

2017: Lafayette The Raven

That would be 6 win for Lafayette, 3 wins for Adair, 2 wins for PLD, and 2 wins for Madison Central.

Only two back to back championships, both Lafayette, but both also include years I wasn't 100% sure about (2009 and 2013).

No Bourbon, but again there are years where I almost put them first.

Celestial Bodies in my mind would beat every single show that's come since.

Both Allure and Desert Rose as just as good in my mind. All very distinctly different shows with different styles and none of them are better or worse in my head.

I'd probably go

2005 PLD

2006 Lafayette

2007 Adair

2008 Lafayette

2009 BoCo

2010 PLD

2011 PLD

2012 Lafayette

2013 Lafayette

2014 Williamstown

2015 Adair

2016 Madison Central

2017 Lafayette

Both Allure and Desert Rose as just as good in my mind. All very distinctly different shows with different styles and none of them are better or worse in my head.

My super controversial take is I don't like Allure. I respect it as art and appreciate all the work that went into it but that doesn't mean I have to like it as a show.

My super controversial take is I don't like Allure. I respect it as art and appreciate all the work that went into it but that doesn't mean I have to like it as a show.

You certainly don’t have to like anything. Allure is peak Chuck Smith. Unapologetically formulaic and traditional. Complicated music, not watered down, played with a beautiful and blended sound, all set to slow and geometric drill, performed flawlessly. Watching videos of the show, it’s impressive and clearly a great show, but it was the raw energy at finals night that makes me love the show as much as I clearly do. I’ve never felt anything like that come off a band except for Dunbar at finals in 2003. It was like magic, and that memory will make it one of my favorite shows of all time. Celestial Bodies and Desert Rose were great because they were highly enjoyable and effect-packed shows that we’re performed really well, Allure was great because of its subdued beauty and the pure fire you could feel from that band live.

1997 Elizabethtown - no one in 3A had a chance to catch them.

1990-1995 Lafayette - J. Steven Moore created the gold standard of any band programs.

1996 Mercer County- Advanced in show design and performance.

1986-1995 Adair County- No band in Kentucky could touch them in drill. They competed in 3A against bands almost twice their size in 1989 and won.

I had to show my age lol

• Upvote 1