Kentucky Marching Network

I'm really surprised BOCO has yet to settle with Michael Stone
Could be for the Middle school

Could be for the Middle school

It's for the high school. Michael Stone is still the interim director.

It's for the high school. Michael Stone is still the interim director.

I'd assume since Mr. Stone took over mid year that they would have to officially post the position at the end of that year.

I'd assume since Mr. Stone took over mid year that they would have to officially post the position at the end of that year.

I would assume that if they were going to hire him that they would have done so after Eric Hale retired. I know, via facebook, that they held a booster meeting for parents to sign a petition saying they wanted Michael Stone to take over, but I don't know anything of the outcome.

I saw that Conner is open. Think they would come back to SMBC?

It depends on the director. With the right one, I could definitely see it happening.

I would assume that if they were going to hire him that they would have done so after Eric Hale retired. I know, via facebook, that they held a booster meeting for parents to sign a petition saying they wanted Michael Stone to take over, but I don't know anything of the outcome.

Facts:

1. Bourbon County is an awesome marching program.

2. Eric Hale is in the running for small marching band director GOAT.

3. A generation ago, they weren't anything special.

4. It isn't a comprehensive program right now: (high performing concert band, multiple kids rocking out in honor bands)

5. Parents feeling like they are in charge of the direction on the program could lead to a disaster.

• Upvote 1

5. Parents feeling like they are in charge of the direction on the program could lead to a disaster.

One more time for the people in the back!

• Upvote 1

I would assume since it was a mid-year retirement by Hale they would hire Stone on an "interim basis" (since he was already in the Bourbon Co system) and then post the job for an official hire during the summer. I would think Stone would have the obvious advantage since he is already a part of the program. Does anyone from Bourbon have any insider info?

I would assume since it was a mid-year retirement by Hale they would hire Stone on an "interim basis" (since he was already in the Bourbon Co system) and then post the job for an official hire during the summer. I would think Stone would have the obvious advantage since he is already a part of the program. Does anyone from Bourbon have any insider info?

It would also be his first head directing job. Maybe they want someone a little more seasoned?

It would also be his first head directing job. Maybe they want someone a little more seasoned?

What I'm more interested in: if they haven't already hired Stone, who else is in the running?

One more time for the people in the back!

Then 5 more times for the sake of consistency!

I may have miscounted... so one more time...

Edited by Cavie Fan

In all honesty, I really hope at least one parent sees this and thinks "Maybe these people who have a long history with band programs are right", but I know deep down it's wishful thinking.

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair. That sounds a bit chauvinistic, so I will apologize to any female band directors out there.... but, JoAnn, Nan, Pauletta, Carol Jean, Janet, Karen and Stephanie .... you are all really awesome and a really elite group of ladies.

Edited by Cavie Fan
  • Upvote 1

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair. That sounds a bit chauvinistic, so I will apologize to any female band directors out there.... but, JoAnn, Nan, Pauletta, Carol Jean, Janet, Karen and Stephanie .... you are all really awesome and a really elite group of ladies.

In the tough grit sense of the term, Ms. Smith had more of a pair than most guys around nowadays.

• Upvote 1

It has happened more than once. Input is not a bad thing but crossing that line on direction is a very dangerous thing.

• Upvote 1

In all honesty, I really hope at least one parent sees this and thinks "Maybe these people who have a long history with band programs are right", but I know deep down it's wishful thinking.

Sadly, it's more likely any parent who believes themselves to be the true leader of a band program would see things like that and ask themselves, "Who do these kids think they are?"

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair.

I believe it's rarely the case that a band director or staff member would fail to stand up to a runaway parent organization simply because they are too intimidated by them. Much more often, one or more members of the parent organization is powerful or influential in some way with a band staff's bosses and holds that influence against the band staff whenever there is a point of disagreement. In that position, there is not much a band director can do to stand up to their critics without putting their own job in jeopardy. Now, if you're saying the band director should take a stand regardless of whether or not it means their job, then I don't entirely disagree with you. However, keep in mind, this is a band director's livelihood we're talking about here, and it can be difficult to find a new job nowadays with all the band programs shutting down or having their schools consolidated. A band director would have to weigh the moral importance of keeping their parent organization in check against the possible risk of losing their job and the career / financial implications that would have for them. Also, let's keep in mind that most band directors are pretty even-tempered and would try to avoid a fight rather than seek one out.