Kentucky Marching Network

21 minutes ago, VKPRPHAN said:

Huh? This is interesting since Caverna hasn't had a band program in 5+ years and really doesn't have the resources to support one in all honesty. 

The posting said music teacher, vocal music, and instrumental music and Caverna Middle and High.  I doubt marching band is in the mix.  I post these openings anyway for folk looking for jobs even though I'm sure everyone knows about the KDE site.

Edmonson Co is posted; this could be a great first gig for someone looking to get their foot in the door. Pretty close to BG and WKU. I know that there are quite a few beginning teachers out there still looking. 

5 hours ago, The Stig said:

Great Crossing High School in Scott County is officially open. 

Might have 2 new schools joining KMEA SMBC this season. Or at least next season. Fingers crossed what I've heard becomes fruitful!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Stig said:

Apollo is open, again. 

Isn't the current director an alumna of the school? Think he's been there less than 2 years. I know they have some serious admin issues, along with a significant feeder issue at Burns Middle. Until that is fixed, whoever goes into the HS will be just spinning their wheels. This will be the 6th director since 2009 (if my math skills are correct), so that should send a huge red flag to someone.................

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bdit said:

Isn't the current director an alumna of the school? Think he's been there less than 2 years. I know they have some serious admin issues, along with a significant feeder issue at Burns Middle. Until that is fixed, whoever goes into the HS will be just spinning their wheels. This will be the 6th director since 2009 (if my math skills are correct), so that should send a huge red flag to someone.................

Daviess County also had 5 directors in 8 years back in the mid 2000s, so it really does make you wonder whats going on in Owensboro. 

And your math is correct.

36 minutes ago, Guest1234 said:

Daviess County also had 5 directors in 8 years back in the mid 2000s, so it really does make you wonder whats going on in Owensboro. 

And your math is correct.

Daviess even has a pseudo-arts administrator at the board, but they have sure made some questionable hires at both high schools.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bdit said:

Daviess even has a pseudo-arts administrator at the board, but they have sure made some questionable hires at both high schools.

Where do I start?

There are 4 band director positions at the High Schools in Daviess County. Three of those positions are occupied by someone with a spouse or parent who works or worked for DCPS. The open position is currently held by an alumni. 

Questionable hiring before that as well. You have a best friend hired as an assistant. So far, two of the three children of one Mike Clark has been an assistant band director previously and currently while the third is teaching elementary in the same system. 

Personally, this is crap. One of the main reasons why I left teaching was because of this. I consulted a lawyer in 2015 when both DC and Apollo had openings. Nepotism has no business in education, period. It isn't fair to the kids and honestly, the cycle needs to stop. 

I'll add more later. 

Edit: 

All three middle school directors have been in place for at least 10 years. I have known all three for almost 20 years. 

Karen Alward can retire in the next 3 years. I am almost certain they are grooming Nathan Clark for that position. 

DCMS is getting a new building for 2021 and by then their director will be closer to retirement age. 

CVMS has had Mr. Manire since 1997 and that was his first year. 

BMS has had Mrs. Yonts since 2009. She probably has 14 years left before the can retire. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

Where do I start?

There are 4 band director positions at the High Schools in Daviess County. Three of those positions are occupied by someone with a spouse or parent who works or worked for DCPS. The open position is currently held by an alumni. 

Questionable hiring before that as well. You have a best friend hired as an assistant. So far, two of the three children of one Mike Clark has been an assistant band director previously and currently while the third is teaching elementary in the same system. 

Personally, this is crap. One of the main reasons why I left teaching was because of this. I consulted a lawyer in 2015 when both DC and Apollo had openings. Nepotism has no business in education, period. It isn't fair to the kids and honestly, the cycle needs to stop. 

I'll add more later. 

Edit: 

All three middle school directors have been in place for at least 10 years. I have known all three for almost 20 years. 

Karen Alward can retire in the next 3 years. I am almost certain they are grooming Nathan Clark for that position. 

DCMS is getting a new building for 2021 and by then their director will be closer to retirement age. 

BMS has had Mrs. Yonts since 2009. She probably has 14 years left before the can retire. 

👏👏I was waiting for you to explain. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Guest1234 said:

👏👏I was waiting for you to explain. 

That whole situation has made me mad as hell for a long time. Since I am doing something else and have no intentions to ever go back to teaching (along with living in the state of KY) I will put them on blast. I went to school there and worked as a sub for a few years as well. 

Also, one thing Bidwell apparently did was have way too many rules. My nephew is not in the program because of that. 

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

That whole situation has made me mad as hell for a long time. Since I am doing something else and have no intentions to ever go back to teaching (along with living in the state of KY) I will put them on blast. I went to school there and worked as a sub for a few years as well. 

Also, one thing Bidwell apparently did was have way too many rules. My nephew is not in the program because of that. 

I could do that for my alma mater as well. Some of their hiring choices left a lot of alumni scratching their head, and it's not just the band program. I could really open some folks eyes about several programs across the state from stories I've heard from friends across the state, but I dont think I have the time to do so. Lol. Needless to say, theres a lot of corruption in school boards and band programs across the state, and most of which never come to see the light of day.

3 hours ago, Guest1234 said:

I could do that for my alma mater as well. Some of their hiring choices left a lot of alumni scratching their head, and it's not just the band program. I could really open some folks eyes about several programs across the state from stories I've heard from friends across the state, but I dont think I have the time to do so. Lol. Needless to say, theres a lot of corruption in school boards and band programs across the state, and most of which never come to see the light of day.

No comment lol

On 3/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, The Stig said:

Where do I start?

I'll add more later. 

Edit: 

It's a shame that none of the middle school directors work with any of the HS programs, which is one reason they are in the shape they are in. IMO, Owensboro has passed both county high schools. They (Owensboro) all work together, collaborate together, team-teach, etc. 

If they decide to move either one of the HS assistants up (Davidson at AHS or Nate at DC), then they get what they get. Although they are kind of already there. Time will tell............

11 hours ago, bdit said:

It's a shame that none of the middle school directors work with any of the HS programs, which is one reason they are in the shape they are in. IMO, Owensboro has passed both county high schools. They (Owensboro) all work together, collaborate together, team-teach, etc. 

If they decide to move either one of the HS assistants up (Davidson at AHS or Nate at DC), then they get what they get. Although they are kind of already there. Time will tell............

The high school directors and assistants do go out to the middle school but not the other way. So there is some sort of team teaching. However, the dynamic of one of the middle schools feeding both programs is odd. 

For a long time, DC got most of the CVMS students in their district. Apollo did not. When I was going through school, the majority of all-state caliber students at Apollo would have gone to CVMS if it was built in the 1980's. My class just missed out, thankfully. Almost 25 years later, that whole set up still feels awkward to many people in Daviess County. 

Here is what I can say about Apollo being open. 

The good.

You have newish elementary teachers at all of the feeders but one. You can create a great relationship with them.

The Bad.

Outward appearances would dictate BMS is does the bare minimum. Their numbers are low and I don't see that trend changing. Their saving grace is that they have stopped the turnover machine from the previous decade. In order, Brian Brown, Curtis Ervin, Keith Vincent, and Karen Alward all had that job in a 10 year span. CVMS has a history of not doing much to contribute to the culture of Apollo when it comes to extra curricular activities. 

The Ugly

You're in 5A for KMEA marching band. You haven't had a marching band with over 100 since maybe 1999 and probably some time in the 1980's. Even if you can retain 50% of incoming freshman, you're looking at maybe 20 kids. 

The band kids you used to get, now play in the orchestra. A 50-60 piece orchestra is rather impressive. Plus, they're really good. (Thank you, Mrs. Davidson). Before that, the BMS band director, was the orchestra director. 

I cannot fault too many directors after Janet Allen for what has gone on over there. Even when that program was hot in mid 1990's the retention rates were abysmal. It takes a lot out of a high school director to attract incoming freshman but if you are getting 15 out of 85 (there about) what's the point? 

There were some terrible hires and hires that could have made bigger difference by staying. For someone to be successful there, it might be in their best interest to do midstates until the numbers got better. The band needs to be more visible in the elementary schools (something BMS does not do a good job with (CVMS sends out a DVD from time to time)). The booster organization is in a good position to do well. 

Owensboro is a great place to live (if you can get a good job) and great place to raise a family. They need someone who wants to stay and grow--not use as a stop on their ascent (or descent) in their career. 

• Upvote 1

I knew the HS directors went to the MS during the day; I was referring to the MS directors not doing anything with the HS programs, especially "after school." It amazes me that with so many jobs I see now that the MS directors dictate what they will and won't do concerning the HS band. The job description needs to be laid out in black in white. Here it is, take it or leave it. 

Word on the street is that the Apollo principal doesn't want a competitive marching band. Says that it "takes away from their music education." Heard that he met with the parents after their pre-festival concert last week and told them what he would be looking for in a new hire. 

I just know from experience what both HS programs could be, and it's a shame they are not even close.............and yes, Owensboro is a great town. 

5 minutes ago, kybandfossil said:

You would think that the MS person would WANT to help the high school

I could not agree more; what I've noticed, esp within the last 10 years, is that the MS person wants to pretty much go home when the last bell rings. No involvement with the marching band, pep band, riding the bus to contests or helping out with winter programs, etc. I know that stipends in no way cover the amount of time you spend, but that's kind of "part of the gig." I've noticed again and again that some MS directors are allowed to pick and choose what they want to do. My other concern is that they are allowed to do that in the first place. As I said earlier, here is the position and here is what it requires. You don't get to decide what you want and don't want to participate in. If that's the case, they need to be put in elementary music positions. Being a band director requires after-school time, to do it correctly (but it also must have a balance...............that's another discussion). 

With both Daviess programs, I can't recall when I ever saw one of the MS directors with the HS band at a contest, etc. I know Burns used to, but that's been a while. I'm also surprised that Apollo has 2 HS directors, given the small size of the program. It's kind of like in Christian Co...........Hopkinsville has 2 directors at the HS, but Christian Co. only has 1. And both HS are about the same size, band-wise (in fact, Christian Co. is probably even bigger). If I was the Christian Co director, I'd be all over that discrepancy. Jmo. 

1 hour ago, bdit said:

I could not agree more; what I've noticed, esp within the last 10 years, is that the MS person wants to pretty much go home when the last bell rings. No involvement with the marching band, pep band, riding the bus to contests or helping out with winter programs, etc. I know that stipends in no way cover the amount of time you spend, but that's kind of "part of the gig." I've noticed again and again that some MS directors are allowed to pick and choose what they want to do. My other concern is that they are allowed to do that in the first place. As I said earlier, here is the position and here is what it requires. You don't get to decide what you want and don't want to participate in. If that's the case, they need to be put in elementary music positions. Being a band director requires after-school time, to do it correctly (but it also must have a balance...............that's another discussion). 

With both Daviess programs, I can't recall when I ever saw one of the MS directors with the HS band at a contest, etc. I know Burns used to, but that's been a while. I'm also surprised that Apollo has 2 HS directors, given the small size of the program. It's kind of like in Christian Co...........Hopkinsville has 2 directors at the HS, but Christian Co. only has 1. And both HS are about the same size, band-wise (in fact, Christian Co. is probably even bigger). If I was the Christian Co director, I'd be all over that discrepancy. Jmo. 

My MS director wanted nothing to do with Apollo and did not get along with Ms. Allen--hence low retention rates. He didn't get along with her predecessor or successor.  Love the guy to death, but who lets a middle schooler claim bass trumpet as their principal instrument? If you saw this program's instrumentation under his tenure, you would flip. 

After he retired, Mr. Benningfield had say in who got hired at Burns. He literally picked one of his PMA buddies from Murray--who happens to be a great teacher. When College View opened, their director was the assistant at Apollo. That bridge was burnt in the early 2000's. Jed Manire has judged Apollo's contest from time time since then but does not work there. 

I worked at Apollo's band camp in the early 2010's. I saw April Yonts once. That summer, she was expecting one of her sons. She has had some input on who they have hired. When this job was posted, it was on her facebook immediately. 

The Assistant Director at Apollo also helps out with the orchestra and goes around to the middle schools. It isn't like they're getting paid to do nothing. Mr. Davidson will be a great choice if they were to go non-competitive. However, knowing how DCPS rolls, I anticipate one of the three Clark boys getting the job. 

And that kind of surprises me, because it was the exact opposite where I went to school. Our MS director was always involved at the high school especially the marching band. Heck, my first year of marching band she was running all of it the whole time when the HS director was out for colon cancer. Even today, the current MS director there is still involved.