Kentucky Marching Network
Cavie Fan

Horn Rank # 1 Tarpon Springs Outdoor Performance Ensemble.

Newest Top 40 and not a Kentucky band in sight.  But Folks,  Have you seen Tarpon Springs?  Holy Goodness Gracious Pigs are flying... They are AWESOME !

The previous week's rankings are in parenthesis. 

1. Tarpon Springs H.S., FL (3)
  2. Carmel H.S., IN (1)
  3. Broken Arrow H.S., OK (2)
  4. Avon H.S., IN (5)
  5. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX (4)
  6. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX (6)
  7. Flower Mound H.S., TX (7)
  8. Leander H.S., TX (8)
  9. Hebron H.S., TX (9)
  10. Vandegrift H.S., TX (10)
  11. The Woodlands H.S., TX (11)
  12. Vista Ridge H.S., TX (12)
  13. Wando H.S., SC (14)
  14. Keller H.S., TX (13)
  15. Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN (16)
  16. James Bowie H.S., TX (15)
  17. Blue Springs H.S., MO (17)
  18. Cedar Park H.S., TX (18)
  19. O'Fallon Township H.S., IL (19)
  20. Marcus H.S., TX (20)
  21. Park Vista H.S., FL (unranked)
  22. Homestead H.S., IN (22)
  23. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX (21)
  24. William Mason H.S., OH (23)
  25. Hendrickson H.S., TX (26)
  26. Franklin H.S., TN (24)
  27. LD Bell H.S., TX (27)
  28. Harrison H.S., GA (30)
  29. Marian Catholic H.S., IL (25)
  30. Timber Creek H.S., TX (29)

Next 10, in alphabetical order: American Fork (UT), Ayala (CA), Castle (IN), Center Grove (IN), Centerville (OH), Cy-Fair (TX), Oak Ridge (TX), Seven Lakes (TX), Stoneman Douglas (FL), and Vista Murrieta (CA).

Edited by Cavie Fan
  • Upvote 2

I think Tarpon will win again! Broken Arrow, Avon,  Carmel will be close behind though. Also, I don’t understand how North Hardin was less than .10 from Castle at Clarksville but was taken out of the next 10, and then gone the next week. There’s not a .1 difference between that many bands. I understand having new results each week but it doesn’t really make sense. Maybe I just am biased and want a KY Band in there, but still 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, godsent86 said:

Not great camera work...but it was the best angle I could find. This show is ridiculous. 

I’m shook at the amount of woke I just witnessed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boafan said:

I think Tarpon will win again! Broken Arrow, Avon,  Carmel will be close behind though. Also, I don’t understand how North Hardin was less than .10 from Castle at Clarksville but was taken out of the next 10, and then gone the next week. There’s not a .1 difference between that many bands. I understand having new results each week but it doesn’t really make sense. Maybe I just am biased and want a KY Band in there, but still 🤷‍♂️

Horn rank does this stuff a lot, and it just gets worse every week.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think some of you guys misread BOA at times. Castle usually improves A TON as the year goes on, a lot more than our bands do. That gap between North Hardin and Castle will likely increase a lot. This happens with a lot of the bands that generally place higher than KY bands. You can’t place too much on point gaps from regionals , they always change at the end of the season when there’s so many more bands thrown in.

The way Hornrank does things, they go week by week. So when they don’t see bands after a few weeks, it’s hard to rank them, so they lowball/just don’t rank them. I’d say they usually get things mostly right, aside from anomalies like Dobynn’s Bennett.

They aren't perfect, but I wouldn’t say they're garbage. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve never heard anything about the band at Stoneman Douglass. I’ve onviously heard a ton about the school the past year, but I never knew they had a top tier band?

• Upvote 1

OK, let's look at Dobyns-Bennett.  They play incredibly well.  Last year they were one of the best sounding bands in finals. They are ranked 15th but between Dobyns-Bennett and Tarpon Springs are 9 bands from Texas.  None of those bands will be at GN.  Thus you might as well move Dobyns-Bennett up to 6th.  You can't really compare these rankings and GN unless you look at who is attending. 

I am a big fan of Tarpon Springs and I believe this is the best show they have ever put on the field. Will they win GN? Most likely not because for some reason, that I have yet to understand the BOA Judges really are in love with what Carmel does.  I thought Flower Mound should have won last year but hey folks it didn't happen.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Captain Crunch said:

I’ve never heard anything about the band at Stoneman Douglass. I’ve onviously heard a ton about the school the past year, but I never knew they had a top tier band?

I watched their show Saturday, very impressive!

6 hours ago, anonbandfan said:

Marcus is way better than their ranking.  Also these rankings would have Marian Catholic outside of GN finals, let’s see what happens...

They’re ranked that low because the band director, Amanda Drinkwater, was moved to head of the Arts Department in Lewisville ISD (Flower Mound, Marcus, Hebron). So anyways they aren’t apparently doing as hot as normal and they lost to Prosper and Keller a couple weeks back and that’s why they’re ranked that low. I’m sure they’re still a GN and San Antonio finals caliber band though. A weak year for Marcus is the best year for most bands.

I’m glad to see Reagan returning to the top! Their early and mid 2000’s era shows were some of the best high school shows ever! (Especially 2003 “Beyond Perimeters”)

22 hours ago, boafan said:

They’re ranked that low because the band director, Amanda Drinkwater, was moved to head of the Arts Department in Lewisville ISD (Flower Mound, Marcus, Hebron). So anyways they aren’t apparently doing as hot as normal and they lost to Prosper and Keller a couple weeks back and that’s why they’re ranked that low. I’m sure they’re still a GN and San Antonio finals caliber band though. A weak year for Marcus is the best year for most bands.

Damn, I loved her shows.  I honestly haven’t seen a Marcus show I did not like in the past decade.  Always very well thought out themes that they executed perfectly.  Congratulations to her none the less!

8 hours ago, Eureka O’Hara said:

Wow I love those uniforms. I don’t want to call them skirts, but I don’t know what else to call them, so those skirt things are pretty cool too, lots of cool visuals they add in with those.  And that America the Beautiful at the end was great, can’t wait to see how the finished product comes out at GN.

• Upvote 1

Broken Arrow is perfectly clean but I don’t know if the GE is there to overcome Tarpon, Carmel, or Avon. I think the music and visual will carry them to once again a medal though.