Kentucky Marching Network

20 minutes ago, Band Mom/Alumna said:

I just can’t with the staff member losing his sh*t on the sidelines in the closer and trying to get people to stand up. Relax and stop acting a fool. 🙈

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

26 minutes ago, Band Mom/Alumna said:

Be careful, the NH YouTube police might take this down! 

I really hope they do well at Nats!

• Upvote 1

Lafayette- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_L5oI7e2PwE 

MC- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LltLcq-SsDo 

After watching, let me say that MC was FANTASTIC. Definitely proved me wrong this season, and I expect them to continue to grow next season! 

Lafayette just has so much energy and they sound/look amazing. Kudos to those kids pushing through the metronome incident and not let it affect their performance. 

That North Hardin video is great too. Fantastic soloists and those woodwinds are just awesome.  

We witnessed some awesome performances Saturday!

• Upvote 2

On 10/29/2018 at 6:05 PM, TamiTaylor said:

The metronome sound was distinctive and from a popular metronome phone app. Anyone with the app could have connected to Lafayette’s Bluetooth. I don’t know if they’ve done forensics or if it’s even possible, but it could have easily come from someone in the stands. 

Anybody who knows anything about Commercial BT devices and technology knows that "NOBODY" can just connect. This is not your cheap cell or BT speaker bought at Walmart. A specific set of instructions must be followed to pair/match the devices, the hardware addresses are stored into memory. To say another band or 3rd party connected to your BT is ludicrous. Go to their practice and try to connect, I bet you cant. Id say someone hit the wrong slider on the soundboard.. Hint..Hint..

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure that NH will ever be visually clean under these directors, but there's not a band in the state that sounds better. The "Park and bark" statements are hilarious. That's a symphonic band marching or moving the entire show. Those trombones mic'd at the end are unnecessary? They don't march trombones...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ian Anderson said:

Anybody who knows anything about Commercial BT devices and technology knows that "NOBODY" can just connect. This is not your cheap cell or BT speaker bought at Walmart. A specific set of instructions must be followed to pair/match the devices, the hardware addresses are stored into memory. To say another band or 3rd party connected to your BT is ludicrous. Go to their practice and try to connect, I bet you cant. Id say someone hit the wrong slider on the soundboard.. Hint..Hint..

It’s not impossible. I know BOA has a rule about bands not being allowed to use wireless metronomes in warm up for this very reason. Don’t know if KMEA has a rule like that but I know BOA does.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They’ve actually been pretty clean visually over the last three years. 2015 and 2017 (at nationals more so) especially they were very clean. This year though, they need a lot of work.

After watching those videos I just have to echo again what other people have said. North Hardin should have won, at the very least, one of those music judges.

Madison Central was awesome that night. They should be very proud of that performance. I thought for sure they’d be in the top two that night.

Edited by TheBrassGuy
  • Upvote 2

Everyone is saying the North Hardin should have won, but honestly they were good and all but Lafayette just had the most clean 5A visuals i have ever seen and they just had a championship run 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, BigOleBob said:

Everyone is saying the North Hardin should have won, but honestly they were good and all but Lafayette just had the most clean 5A visuals i have ever seen and they just had a championship run 

I think mostly the consensus is they should have at least won a music caption.

Being there that night, I thought the three groups would split the captions. They were all terrific, with different strengths (and issues).

• Like 1

Can we just agree that all three are really good? 

All three sound amazing. All three had great performances. Only one band can come out on top. 

Rooting really hard for PLD to get back in contention with the “Big 3”. They took a huge step this year! Hopefully the just keep building!

Edited by Brass33
  • Upvote 2

A couple of things I noticed about dr beat gate.  The flute soloist is one of the drum majors.  The guy running the board is like wtf, then another guy comes over and is like wtf?  Then the sound guy directs the soloist to the mic on the sideline.  It was obviously bleeding into the wireless mic channel otherwise the sound guy would have killed the other channel.  I think it came from a met the drum major forgot to turn off after warm ups.   Oh and the guy videoing doesn't care, he'd been there since 7:30 and he'll do what he wants.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eureka O’Hara said:

I just can’t with the staff member losing his sh*t on the sidelines in the closer and trying to get people to stand up. Relax and stop acting a fool. 🙈

It is hard not to lose your sh#t when music is moving you! I get that way when I hear great music! I am pretty sure North Hardin fans were already on their feet at that point. I say geek out all ya want! Let the music move ya! Give those kids the praise they deserve and let them hear it loud!

Edited by Bandnerd41
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bandnerd41 said:

It is hard not to lose your sh#t when music is moving you! I get that way when I hear great music! I am pretty sure North Hardin fans were already on their feet at that point. I say geek out all ya want! Let the music move ya! Give those kids the praise they deserve and let them hear it loud!

Agreed. I’m never gonna get mad at someone for cheering on their kids! No shame at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, kyaddict said:

I'm not sure that NH will ever be visually clean under these directors, but there's not a band in the state that sounds better. The "Park and bark" statements are hilarious. That's a symphonic band marching or moving the entire show. Those trombones mic'd at the end are unnecessary? They don't march trombones...

I had to watch that again. It looks like they put down Mellies to pick-up those slides. That's the move of the competition. I would guarantee you those kids didn't go to that school as Freshmen being able to play 2 instruments like that. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eureka O’Hara said:

Maybe he was trying to get more people to cheer to boost the effect scores???

• Haha 1

For my friends at Lafayette. Good save with switching mics during the performance due to the radio frequencies crossing with someone using a met in warm ups. The tempo was nowhere close to the tempo of the soloist and luckily there was a backup mic.

No one could use Bluetooth mics due to the frequencies only useable over a few yards. Everyone uses the same wireless mic packs thus allowing for the crossing of frequencies. KMEA is a little behind the regulations for the use of these tools in warmups. They should really adopt the regulations of Drum Corps and BOA to adapt to the times.

I know of several directors that refuse to use wireless mics due to these kinds of problems. Therefore, they use hardwired mics and raise the soloist, which keeps the problem from happening but subtracts aspects from the show in what a band can do.

Lafayette did not use a met in any way, shape, or form during this performance. I spoke with staff and they were beyond worried about penalties due to some other bands’ negligence. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, AnonLowBrass said:

FB_IMG_1541014429788.jpg

I actually don’t really like this. Is it funny? Ya. I smirked at it. But I think it’s a tad petty for an adult. But to each their own I’m not like upset or anything, a joke is a joke

• Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, Captain Crunch said:

I actually don’t really like this. Is it funny? Ya. I smirked at it. But I think it’s a tad petty for an adult. But to each their own I’m not like upset or anything, a joke is a joke

What band did that?

26 minutes ago, WaterTable said:

What band did that?

Anderson, I believe. I remember their director having a poll on their Instagram as to which Power Ranger he should dress as for their Halloween concert.

16 minutes ago, theblowtorch said:

Petty and classless. 

I have to slightly disagree. Petty? Maybe. But petty can still have some class and be funny. I have no doubt in my mind that it was not meant to be malicious.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, kyaddict said:

Lol interesting and hateful at the same time  (part about their directors) 

Edited by Tinkerbell06
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I know it's all in good spirits, being Halloween and all, but I can see how some would find it petty and classless to basically interpret KMEA judges as blind and deaf.

1 hour ago, Tinkerbell06 said:

Lol interesting and hateful at the same time  (part about their directors) 

No hate intended at all. It's obvious that they focus on music because it's hard music played like a freaking symphonic band.

Being clean seems to always be the one thing that gets them. 

I don't hate anything about marching band and I thought it was the best finals I've seen in years.  It always amazes me what a bunch of high school kids are capable of. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1