Russell County H.S., KY
Science Hill H.S., TN
Sequoyah H.S., TN
Seymour H.S., TN
South Greene H.S., TN
Sullivan South H.S., TN
White Knoll H.S., SC
York Comprehensive H.S., SC

So glad to see Lafayette venturing back in boa! Wish they were going to the Louisville one but I get it. Think they will have a great showing at this one along with Estill and will represent us well! Both fantastic programs!

Dobyns-Bennett, Kennesaw Mountain, and Lafayette I definitely see in the top spots here. Other contenders for top 5 I see are Russell County, Chapin, and Bassett. Bassett is a consistent GN semifinalist and Chapin is a very good program from South Carolina.

Edited by Chase
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I completely forgot the venue for this regional is indoors. Has anyone ever been to this venue? It looks kind of cool, but I haven’t heard the greatest things about it

This where GN was several times in the early 80s and the acoustics were atrocious, but sometime in the 90s?  they did a rebuild or remodel, and I’m sure it’s better

15 hours ago, Brass33 said:

I completely forgot the venue for this regional is indoors. Has anyone ever been to this venue? It looks kind of cool, but I haven’t heard the greatest things about it

There's a reason this place was nicknamed the "Thunderdome".  There may still be echoes from Chesterton, Norwin, and Rocky Mount moving through the rafters there.

Also, don't overlook some of the Carolina groups in attendance at this show.  Some quality programs there.

19 hours ago, KillItOnTheHighC said:

Let us whisper of a dream

A dream that is little more than a pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless

Lafayette beats DB

This forum would explode lol 

Here’s my way-too early hot takes for this show: 

-Bassett will be closer to Kennesaw than Kennesaw will be to Lafayette 

-DB wins......but not by the landslide you’d think 

- Russell Co. will comfortably be in the Top 5

Edited by Brass33

As others have already said, I have to go with DB here, by a good margin too. Keenesaw or Lafayette reserve champion. Other than that, I cannot say, so many bands here out of state that could turn out to be pretty good.

1. Dobyns-Bennett 

2. Lafayette 

3. Kennesaw Mountain 

4. Bassett 

5. Russell Co. 

My predictions are the same as pre season. Don’t be surprised if Lafayette keeps it close. (When I say ‘close’, I mean 1-2 points)

• Upvote 2

On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, GEVisual said:

There's a reason this place was nicknamed the "Thunderdome".  There may still be echoes from Chesterton, Norwin, and Rocky Mount moving through the rafters there.

Also, don't overlook some of the Carolina groups in attendance at this show.  Some quality programs there.

Green Hope usually puts on a good show.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, GEVisual said:

Wikipedia says it called the 'Minidome' by the locals.  Says it seats 8500 after the last renovation which I'm assuming would mean 4000+ on each side.  My question, will it seat this event?

I wonder why they chose to have this regional in the "Thunderdome" instead of the new outdoor stadium that ETSU built recently? Anyone know? 

2 hours ago, VKPRPHAN said:

I wonder why they chose to have this regional in the "Thunderdome" instead of the new outdoor stadium that ETSU built recently? Anyone know? 

I'm guessing they're trying to avoid the possibility any weather impacts.

3 hours ago, VKPRPHAN said:

I would guess it's cheaper for BOA to rent the smaller venue vs. the larger stadium.

1. Dobyns-Bennett

2. Lafayette

3. Kennesaw Mountain

4. Bassett

5. Green Hope

6. Dorman

7. Russell County

8. Chapin

9. Easley

10. Estill County

11. Mooresville

Edited by Wildcat77

After further research, I think these are the bands battling for finals, categorized by state. Those with a star are top 4, imo. After the top 4, I don't have any kind of feel about which of these bands is likely to land 5-10. There are a few great smaller bands -- Estill County, Russell County and Ninety Six -- and several very good, but not great, bigger bands from the Carolinas. 

Kentucky: Lafayette*, Russell County, Estill County

Tennessee: Dobyns-Bennett*, Hardin Valley Academy

South Carolina: Easley, Dorman, White Knoll, York Comprehensive, Chapin, Dutch Fork, Ninety Six

North Carolina: Green Hope, Cleveland, Ardrey Kell, Mooresville

Virginia: Bassett*

Georgia: Kennesaw Mountain*

Best in class:

A: 1. Estill County 2. Ninety Six

AA: 1. Bassett 2. Russell County

AAA: 1. Dobyns-Bennett 2. Kennesaw Mountain

AAAA: 1. Lafayette 2. Green Hope

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Is Lafayette 4A in BOA? I’m just wondering because they were 3A back in 2014 when they went to St. Louis. 

9 minutes ago, boafan said:

Is Lafayette 4A in BOA? I’m just wondering because they were 3A back in 2014 when they went to St. Louis. 

Good question. The 4A cutoff is 1700+ school enrollment 10th-12th. Lafayette’s enrollment 9th-12th is 2400. Based on the numbers, they are probably 4A.

Edited by Brass33
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, boafan said:

Yes. The school now has about 2,400 students. It has picked up a few hundred students the last couple years despite the addition of a new high school in Lexington.