Kentucky Marching Network
The Stig

Director and/or staff misconduct

Due to recent events, we’ve had a band director arrested for Sexual misconduct. I will allow a discussion on the topic to be had. 

Here are the ground rules: 

1. If it is not public knowledge, please keep names anonymous. 

2. No student/victim names are to be posted. 

3. Offer solutions. 

4. No slander. 

5. Keep it professional and appropriate. 

What criteria do directors use to hire staff? I would assume background checks etc are used for the actual district teachers but what about band staff. It's been my experience for staff it goes under reported and they are just let go and hired at another school...until a trend occurs... I think staff is harder to catch for some reason. It happened at two 5A schools in recent years with one being last year and the drill writer was let go mid season. If those schools don't report or students don't cooperate then I suppose it ties a schools hands. Not sure what a good solution to that is. 

The last place I worked at required at transcript ( the school district required all staff/assistant coaches to have at least 60 hours of college) and a criminal background check. 

With that being said, one of staff members I worked with that summer is in prison for sexual misconduct. Before he was on staff, word was that they stole money from a winterguard, band program, and at their previous job. I was told this as I was working at that school by some of my other colleagues. 

The same guy would transport kids home and to rehearsal--which is a huge no no. I told the director and it was dismissed. When I found out about the charges, I was not surprised. The director was also let go after that year. The instructor stayed but was let go once they were charged. 

People do slip through the cracks. However, band directors typically hire people they know someone they trust recommended. 

Everywhere I have worked with just required the background check, which is completely understandable because you wanna be careful about who you're hiring. Getting those staff positions can sometimes be a matter of who you know, but you also should never be afraid to reach out and put your own feelers out there because you never know who actually might be looking for someone to come in.

I really think the KYband.com classified section is vastly under utilized.  If I was still in the game,  I would not hire former students.   Several directors I have worked with in the past have done that and there’s always that chance of a staff/student relationship. 

Heck, even 10 years ago, I worked at a camp where a percussion instructor was dating a student. I wonder how often that happens. 

By law volunteers/parents/adults working with students must have a background check and confidentiality training. Some districts require substitute teacher requirements. Bands not practicing these policies are playing with fire. 

With the relevance of social media coming into play in today's world, common sense would tell one, #DFTK.  I guess some people just think it is okay to play with fire.  But when they get burned, cry fowl.  I think castration is a viable option.  

I’m sorry I’m trying to find a way that I can say this politely. NO. Castration seriously? That is literal torture. It was used as torture. I am just hoping and praying that you meant that ask a joke. 

I am almost certain that the judicial system can eliminate most of those issues. Castration is a bit extreme. 

So, would you say this issue is more prevalent with staff members or actual directors?

To be honest, staff. I’ve seen and known a lot of staff members that had just graduated in relationships with seniors and juniors. Let’s just say the band directors are a batch of apples that one rotten one will always be there. Whether it shows it or not. 

• Upvote 2

There is always going to be a bad apple in anything and everything in life.  Yes.  However, there comes a point when there needs to be consequences for actions.  A slap on the wrist, and people will go, "oh great...I can do this and just get a smack on the hand."  Or depending on where you are at, serve time in jail.    In Indy at a high school, a guy volunteering with the track team couldn't keep his pole vault in his pants, and is now going to be serving 9 years in jail.  It baffles me how localities vary on stuff like this for penalties.  

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Once all the facts come out, then let the punishment fit the crime.  

BigOleBob,  I was half way kidding yes.  But something needs to be done to put a jolt into anyones mind who might think..."Oh this is okay, I'm not going to get caught"

just my 2 cents

17 hours ago, The Stig said:

I am almost certain that the judicial system can eliminate most of those issues. Castration is a bit extreme. 

So, would you say this issue is more prevalent with staff members or actual directors?

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2019/04/11/rancho-cucamonga-band-teacher-dies-by-suicide-after-learning-of-police-investigation-officials-say/

I think it is 50/50.  read the above article....there's more.  But sad in general.  Kids trying to be older than they are on social media on certain apps.  It is happening way to much.

IE, when a male or female is communicating with someone they are believed to be of age (because to be on said sites you HAVE to enter a birth date that populates to the age of 18.  

At this point that young person knows right from wrong.  This director was communicating, and regardless of communication, believed this person was of age.  Then the parent gets all bent out of shape and addresses it with the school.  My question would be, why is your kid trying to portray a legal adult when they are not.  I'm familiar with a couple of cases this has happened.  Unfortunately, the person in the right is the one crucified because that is how society works.  GUILTY first.....It's sad.......I wish we could go back to 1975 when it was simple.

• Upvote 2

I do agree with you that actions do need consequences. But I don’t think there has been a sex offender that hasn’t gotten caught. If a teacher is have relations with students it almost always gets out. The problem is them not being proven guilty, if they are truly not guilty and someone is accusing them of this. Than in their case innocent until proven guilty just saved their life. But for someone who is guilty it gives them more time to rot in jail. With everything going through court systems, it sometimes takes years to get a trial. So until then they are already sitting in jail. Do you see my point?

3 hours ago, BigOleBob said:

I do agree with you that actions do need consequences. But I don’t think there has been a sex offender that hasn’t gotten caught. If a teacher is have relations with students it almost always gets out. The problem is them not being proven guilty, if they are truly not guilty and someone is accusing them of this. Than in their case innocent until proven guilty just saved their life. But for someone who is guilty it gives them more time to rot in jail. With everything going through court systems, it sometimes takes years to get a trial. So until then they are already sitting in jail. Do you see my point?

I have to think there are definitely sex offenders who haven’t been caught. 

44 minutes ago, BRASS MONKEY said:

I have to think there are definitely sex offenders who haven’t been caught. 

I can assure you there are. Please dont forget most of these offenses that we hear about were not classified as felonies until about the last 20 years. Most of the time they were misdemeanors and said band director would move on to a new school.

8 hours ago, BigOleBob said:

But why, is everyone just now seeing how really wrong it is to even think about touching a student 

I think people have always known it is wrong but with the popularity of FB, Snapchat and Instagram offenders are being caught with solid proof rather than just the word of the student vs the word of teacher.  I also think minors are more apt to report when there is solid proof. 

19 minutes ago, BRASS MONKEY said:

I think people have always known it is wrong but with the popularity of FB, Snapchat and Instagram offenders are being caught with solid proof rather than just the word of the student vs the word of teacher.  I also think minors are more apt to report when there is solid proof. 

There is now a digital footprint that doesn't lie.  

While the age of consent is 16 in Kentucky, is there not a rule about superiors (like teachers, staff, everyone in general) about #DFTK??  

Example:  ABC Band hires a newly graduated high school boy for a tech position in band. Billy Bob is 19.  He meets Sassy Sally who is 17, in the clarinet section.  They toot each others horns, should Billy Bob be fired, arrested, prosecuted?  Because he was in an authoritative position.  The sexes on the above can be switched or even same sex.  What are everyone's thoughts?

23 minutes ago, formerbulldog said:

While the age of consent is 16 in Kentucky, is there not a rule about superiors (like teachers, staff, everyone in general) about #DFTK??  

Example:  ABC Band hires a newly graduated high school boy for a tech position in band. Billy Bob is 19.  He meets Sassy Sally who is 17, in the clarinet section.  They toot each others horns, should Billy Bob be fired, arrested, prosecuted?  Because he was in an authoritative position.  The sexes on the above can be switched or even same sex.  What are everyone's thoughts?

It should be in the employee contracts for all school employees to not fraternize with students regardless of age. Whether it’s a janitor, school bus driver, teacher or band director/staff these are positions of authority and when there is sexual content involving a student this IMO is exploitation of a student and their vulnerability. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BRASS MONKEY said:

It should be in the employee contracts for all school employees to not fraternize with students regardless of age. Whether it’s a janitor, school bus driver, teacher or band director/staff these are positions of authority and when there is sexual content involving a student this IMO is exploitation of a student and their vulnerability. 

Fraternize was the word I was looking for. Thank you!  That would be my thoughts as well. 

21 hours ago, formerbulldog said:

Yes, there is a law about it. If you look at Third Degree Rape statute,(which I'm not going to post in full on here, look it up on the LRC website, KRS 510.060) it talks about people in authority or special trust of someone under 18  and another statute listing teachers and volunteers as some of the people considered that. So in terms of your example, Kentucky law says that should be prosecuted. The only situation where things could get cloudy would be a situation where you had a recent graduate come back and work for the band and that person was dating someone in the band and the relationship had started prior to the 18 year old being in the staff position. Moral of the story , just don't touch the kids, simple as that. 

4 minutes ago, VKPRPHAN said:

Yes, there is a law about it. If you look at Third Degree Rape statute,(which I'm not going to post in full on here, look it up on the LRC website, KRS 510.060) it talks about people in authority or special trust of someone under 18  and another statute listing teachers and volunteers as some of the people considered that. So in terms of your example, Kentucky law says that should be prosecuted. The only situation where things could get cloudy would be a situation where you had a recent graduate come back and work for the band and that person was dating someone in the band and the relationship had started prior to the 18 year old being in the staff position. Moral of the story , just don't touch the kids, simple as that. 

I do have one question. With the Romeo and Juliet law, billy bob (19) here would be allowed to date sassy sally (17) if they were in a relationship before billy bob turned 18. So if that were the case what would happen.