Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
band_geek15

First KY band to use props?

Not sure if GRC was the first, but the first year I remember a prop in a GRC show was 1987.  The show's theme was The Nutcracker.  There was a large box with ribbon and a bow on it to resemble a Christmas present that moved around the field.  Some story characters emerged from the box and the colorguard executed a flag change using the box.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GRCAlumni said:

Not sure if GRC was the first, but the first year I remember a prop in a GRC show was 1987.  The show's theme was The Nutcracker.  There was a large box with ribbon and a bow on it to resemble a Christmas present that moved around the field.  Some story characters emerged from the box and the colorguard executed a flag change using the box.  

Very good show, by the way!

• Thanks 2

At the first SMBC in 1986 there were a number of bands with props.  I remember GRC had a pipe organ for "Phantom of the Opera" and Bremen had a big delta on the field. (no idea how that connected to their show)  I have seen a video of Glasgow in 1994 with props. 

Cavie Fan,

GRC did the Phantom show in 1988.  Along with the organ field commander podium, there was a large curtain screen back field in that show.

I can confirm that the Box in '87 was the first prop that I remember GRC ever using.