Kentucky Marching Network
DonSergio

AAAA West Regional @ Hopkinsville - 10/19

36 minutes ago, musicguy said:

This is America, so I am free to make assumptions.  You have yet to articulate why they are not as good.  You continue to state, “they’re not the Hopkinsville of the past few years, blah blah blah.”   Use your big kid words and defend your position.  

Yep, this is America and I too am allowed to state my opinion even if you don’t agree.   No need for the personal attacks.   I don’t feel they are as good as in years past.  They have no props and their effect is no where near the level of bands such as Anderson which won’t bode well with the BOA scoring sheets. Also, I don’t feel their sound is where it’s been in the last couple of years.  The judges apparently felt that way as well given the scores at the Barren competition.  I stand by my prediction in that they will have a hard time making the finals cut this year given the competition level in 4A.  Sorry if that offends you. We’ll see what happens.

Edited by Optimist
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

PREDICTIONS:
1. Madisonville North-Hopkins
2. Hopkinsville
3. Bullitt East
4. Barren County
5. Owensboro
6. South Warren
7. Christian County
8. DuPont Manual
9. Greenwood

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Optimist said:

Yep, this is America and I too am allowed to state my opinion even if you don’t agree.   No need for the personal attacks.   I don’t feel they are as good as in years past.  They have no props and their effect is no where near the level of bands such as Anderson which won’t bode well with the BOA scoring sheets. Also, I don’t feel their sound is where it’s been in the last couple of years.  The judges apparently felt that way as well given the scores at the Barren competition.  I stand by my prediction in that they will have a hard time making the finals cut this year given the competition level in 4A.  Sorry if that offends you. We’ll see what happens.

Haha.  Alright.  Make sure you let their director know they need more props.  The band with the most props will win!   🤦🏻‍♂️

• Downvote 6

1 minute ago, musicguy said:

Haha.  Alright.  Make sure you let their director know they need more props.  The band with the most props will win!   🤦🏻‍♂️

You know what I mean.  BOA scoring sheets lean  more heavily on “effect” vs the old KMEA sheets.  At this level of competition, you can’t afford to have any missing pieces.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, musicguy said:

I made this account only because I have been watching this forum for years and yet have not seen such childish behavior before. 18 out of 19 of your posts have been about Hopkinsville. No one will deny that Hoptown has a great program, but you're being ridiculous. As much as you call the other person a hater, it is so obvious you're a homer. Being a fan is cool, but you asked the person to make a rebuttal and once they did, you respond like this. Think about how you're behaving.

Edited by DegeneratelyMad
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DegeneratelyMad said:

I made this account only because I have been watching this forum for years and yet have not seen such childish behavior before. 18 out 19 of your posts have been about Hopkinsville. No one will deny that Hoptown has a great program, but you're being ridiculous. As much as you call the other person a hater, it is so obvious you're a homer. Being a fan is cool, but you asked the person to make a rebuttal and once they did, you respond like this. Think about how you're behaving.

I have never even been to Hopkinsville.  I have zero association with the program.  Thank you.  

• Downvote 7

2 hours ago, Optimist said:

The finals judges really botched things up last year in 4A in my opinion regarding the placements.  But that’s another story.  I don’t see Hopkinsville closing that gap with Anderson.  There was no comparison between those two shows and performances.  

So your saying there is a chance?  This is the whole reason I despise how band competitions are judged.  Listen to the music being played, the marching being done.  Level of difficulty is not rewarded as it should be.  Standing and blaring music is not marching band, but that’s just an opinion from and old athlete who knows nothing about band.

Edited by What have you done lately
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, What have you done lately said:

So your saying there is a chance?  This is the whole reason I despise how band competitions are judged.  Listen to the music being played, the marching being done.  Level of difficulty is not rewarded as it should be.  Standing and blaring music is not marching band, but that’s just an opinion from and old athlete who knows nothing about band.

Totally agree with you.  Personally, I wish they would throw out the BOA scoring sheets, and start judging music and marching only more like in the old days.  I hate the emphasis being placed on the storyline and props/effect etc.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Optimist said:

Totally agree with you.  Personally, I wish they would throw out the BOA scoring sheets, and start judging music and marching only more like in the old days.  I hate the emphasis being placed on the storyline and props/effect etc.  

That was then this is now.  Nothing wrong with then but that’s a totally different game.  If we just went solely on music and marching and didn’t look at the storyline/effect (not necessarily props) then we might as well give the band with the cleanest grade 3 music and the cleanest box drills the governors cup now.

Edited by Bacitracin69
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Bacitracin69 said:

That was then this is now.  Nothing wrong with then but that’s a totally different game.  If we just went solely on music and marching and didn’t look at the storyline/effect (not necessarily props) then we might as well give the band with the cleanest grade 3 music and the cleanest box drills the governors cup now.

When you also add in and give credit to the music and drill book difficulty levels, I’d have to disagree with you.  In my opinion, props and storyline is something anybody can do, but marching and music is where the skill comes in.  I personally don’t like the direction KMEA has taken with mirroring BOA.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist said:

When you also add in and give credit to the music and drill book difficulty levels, I’d have to disagree with you.  In my opinion, props and storyline is something anybody can do, but marching and music is where the skill comes in.  I personally don’t like the direction KMEA has taken with mirroring BOA.  

Okay yes but imagine how much more impressive it would be with the marching/music skill AND the story/prop production.  Like I said before, times are different now with people’s tastes. You personally enjoy the old way and the majority of people that march now enjoy the way it is so I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bacitracin69 said:

Okay yes but imagine how much more impressive it would be with the marching/music skill AND the story/prop production.  Like I said before, times are different now with people’s tastes. You personally enjoy the old way and the majority of people that march now enjoy the way it is so I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

Where I fundamentally disagree is in regards to the weighting given to the story/prop production vs the music and visual captions.  I believe far too much weight is given to the story/prop production vs music and marching.  That's why I have never been a fan of BOA.  It bothers me that its possible for a band with a good story line and fancy props, and less than stellar music and marching can win (due to the scoring methodology/weighting), vs a band who is superior musically and visually.  This also gives bands who have a huge budget a bit of an advantage over those who don't, because they can add more "shock and awe" with more expensive props etc.  And with the current scoring sheets, it does make a difference in the effect captions.  I don't have a problem with the props and story line addition in general, where I have a problem is the amount of weighting that's given to those factors.  I just feel like the activity has been "watered down" and we have veered away from the core of what the activity is all about..........music and marching.  It has turned into more of a Broadway production in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

On 10/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, BandAlum123 said:

PREDICTIONS:
1. Madisonville North-Hopkins
2. Hopkinsville
3. Bullitt East
4. Barren County
5. Owensboro
6. South Warren
7. Christian County
8. DuPont Manual
9. Greenwood

I do not believe that Barren will be in Top 4........ they have really improved this season  but I think that Owensboro is going to snag the 4th spot

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1. Madisonville North-Hopkins

2. Hopkinsville

3. Bullitt East

4. Owensboro 

5. Barren County

6. South Warren

7. Christian County

8. DuPont Manual

9. Greenwood

In addition to these predictions, I am going to guess the top 4 draws 

10. Hopkinsville

12. Owensboro 

14. Madisonville North-Hopkins

16. Bullitt East

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Madisonville North Hopkins

2. Owensboro

3. Bulitt East

4. Christian County

5. Barren County

6. Hopkisville

7. South Warren

8. Greenwood 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, merchguy83 said:

1. Madisonville North Hopkins

2. Owensboro

3. Bulitt East

4. Christian County

5. Barren County

6. Hopkisville

7. South Warren

8. Greenwood 

Hopkinsville will be no lower than second.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1. Madisonville

2. Hopkinsville

3. Bullitt East

4. Christian County

5. Barren County

6. Owensboro

7. South Warren

8. Greenwood

9. Manual 

These scores truly shocked me. I’m really interested to see what happens next week. 

1. Madisonville 

2. Christian County

3. South Warren 

4. Hopkinsville 

5. Bullitt East

6. Owensboro 

7. Barren County 

8. DuPont Manual

9. Greenwood 

2 minutes ago, Paradice said:

These scores truly shocked me. I’m really interested to see what happens next week. 

1. Madisonville 

2. Christian County

3. South Warren 

4. Hopkinsville 

5. Bullitt East

6. Owensboro 

7. Barren County 

8. DuPont Manual

9. Greenwood 

Hopkinsville did not deserve 4th south warren and Christian county should have been lower and barren county should’ve been higher that’s what happens when you get bad draws and good draws 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Just now, Jackson mississippi said:

Hopkinsville did not deserve 4th south warren and Christian county should have been lower and barren county should’ve been higher that’s what happens when you get bad draws and good draws 

ok “ jackson mississippi “

• Upvote 1

None of them got distinguished ratings...

Edited by Magnus Carlsen

6 minutes ago, Paradice said:

1. Madisonville 

2. Christian County

3. South Warren 

4. Hopkinsville 

5. Bullitt East

6. Owensboro 

7. Barren County 

8. DuPont Manual

9. Greenwood 

Whoa 

• Upvote 1