Kentucky Marching Network
LongTimeBandMan

Is the new system working?

4 minutes ago, Hereforthecomments said:

Explain your why u feel this way in an intelligent, mature and productive manner please. 

He’s probably just trolling because he knows you’re an MC person. I would just let it go.

1 minute ago, Optimist said:

The point is, props are not cheap.

What is your point in saying that? Is it that because they cost money we shouldn’t use props, or that certain expensive looking things are “too much” if everyone can’t afford them? 

4 minutes ago, bandboy7 said:

What is your point in saying that? Is it that because they cost money we shouldn’t use props, or that certain expensive looking things are “too much” if everyone can’t afford them? 

The way I’m taking the comment is if props do not add to the visual effect then why do bands spend so much money on them?  I could b wrong. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hereforthecomments said:

The way I’m taking the comment is if props do not add to the visual effect then why do bands spend so much money on them?  I could b wrong. 

That could be it. I guess I just dismissed this out of hand because it seems pretty widely accepted that props add to visual effect. 

6 hours ago, bandboy7 said:

That could be it. I guess I just dismissed this out of hand because it seems pretty widely accepted that props add to visual effect. 

Props can be used to add to visual effect but it’s also how the band performs their show. I personally don’t like certain voice overs and I feel that they aren’t needed. 1) if a band performs their show well the show could be understood and the judges and the crowd might be able to get it. 2) it brings emotion into, a band with no emotion doesn’t go far. 3) a bands performance (not just color guard) adds to the effect of the show in its entirety. 

17 hours ago, Hereforthecomments said:

Explain your why u feel this way in an intelligent, mature and productive manner please. 

So are you on the visual staff, the music staff or both with Madison Central? My money is on visual staff based on this comment thread alone.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, Hereforthecomments said:

I’m on the fence about this prop controversy. I would like to ask if props don’t really matter then why do bands spend so much time and money on them?  I want to think that props add to the general visual effect and how the bands use them. Like Estill who actually uses their props to stage band members and the mello soloist. I totally get that Estill can still perform without props but would it have the same impact without the hydraulic lift and the stair steps?  I’m sure Estill could still put on a great show without the props but would the audience and judges be as WOWed?  Like I said, I’m on the fence so I asking an honest question. 

The lift isn’t hydraulic. 

On 10/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, Hereforthecomments said:

I’m on the fence about this prop controversy. I would like to ask if props don’t really matter then why do bands spend so much time and money on them?  I want to think that props add to the general visual effect and how the bands use them. Like Estill who actually uses their props to stage band members and the mello soloist. I totally get that Estill can still perform without props but would it have the same impact without the hydraulic lift and the stair steps?  I’m sure Estill could still put on a great show without the props but would the audience and judges be as WOWed?  Like I said, I’m on the fence so I asking an honest question. 

Your question above is the the basis of the point I have been trying to make in this entire argument.  They absolutely make a difference and play into the the effect captions.  If they didn't, no one would spend the money, time or effort on them.  I believe that unless your band performs musically and visually with absolute perfection, with the current BOA methodology/score sheets that are now in place, you better have the props and storyline to help capture as many of the effect points as possible.  Several have been all over me disagreeing, and in theory, I agree that a band can be good just playing and marching.  I actually would rather go back to the previous ways where those two things were king.  But in the recent world of KMEA and all the changes incorporated, and to prove a point, let's just look at the results of this  past weekend and then lets see what happens this coming weekend.  Let's just see how many bands in the competitive classes (in particular 3A and 4A) make the cut for finals without props etc.  I'll bet that all 8 bands in those two classes will have props etc.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Optimist said:

Let's just see how many bands in the competitive classes (in particular 3A and 4A) make the cut for finals without props etc.  I'll bet that all 8 bands in those two classes will have props etc. 

Generally speaking, I don't actually think it would change things around much.  I think the top 4-6 are there because they are clean and play amazingly well.  There could be some movement up or down a bit, but really I wouldn't expect that a band in 10th place would all-of-a-sudden make finals because they used props and for Anderson or Bourbon to drop out of finals just because they don't have props.  So the idea that you can look to this weekend and make any kind of guess about the effect of props isn't a valid experiment (correlation =/= causation). And while props do add to visual and story line, many times I see bands with LOTS of props and a more cohesive/literal story line lose to bands with fewer or more simplistic props...even this year and even at KMEA (also at BOA). So I guess what I'm saying is that without the rest of the parts in place, props alone won't guarantee a win and it's really hard to know how much they add to the score.

53 minutes ago, Optimist said:

I actually would rather go back to the previous ways where those two things were king.

I'm not sure when this was because I graduated almost 30 years ago in KY and we had a ton of props...maybe more than some bands have now.  It may not have been as common then, but it wasn't unheard of. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hereforthecomments said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong and yes. 

Ok man, you do you, but your posts reflex otherwise. I'm standing by my previous thought that you are vis staff at Madison Central but again, you do you man. 😉

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Ok man, you do you, but your posts reflex otherwise. I'm standing by my previous thought that you are vis staff at Madison Central but again, you do you man. 😉

Even if, I don’t get your point but I can guarantee you I’m not. I just had a legitimate question as a spectator and fan of marching bands.  I am an old WOMAN who still likes to go to shows and also support my hometown band. Nothing wrong with that I don’t think. I wouldn’t even begin to think I can do what any of the visual or music folks do. 

• Upvote 1