Kentucky Marching Network
wolfgang.

Woodwinds in DCI?

There is (allegedly) a proposal on the table to be voted on that would allow woodwinds to be used in DCI competition, though I do not know to what extent.

What is your opinion on whether DCI should allow woodwinds?

1 hour ago, wolfgang. said:

There is (allegedly) a proposal on the table to be voted on that would allow woodwinds to be used in DCI competition, though I do not know to what extent.

What is your opinion on whether DCI should allow woodwinds?

We have seen violins and a slew of other untraditional instruments used in DCI. It is just plain dumb that there are rules against using woodwinds.  

This gets brought up every year, and every year it stays the same. Highly doubt it’ll change anytime soon.

I'd be ok with woodwinds being allowed in the pit as solo instruments, but marching full woodwind sections, I don't know how I would feel about it. I'm a brass guy, so I am biased towards brass, but we won't know until it's tried.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:30 AM, Chase said:

I'd be ok with woodwinds being allowed in the pit as solo instruments, but marching full woodwind sections, I don't know how I would feel about it. I'm a brass guy, so I am biased towards brass, but we won't know until it's tried.

I agree. I don’t think we should get rid of all brass ensemble dominating the field and being the prime instrumentation. But if somebody is gonna say no to woodwinds for features and solos while literally every other type of instrument is used then I don’t understand where they’re coming from. If you’re that old school you should have something against violins and vocalists and everything else not strictly brass and drum line. I just don’t understand the issue with it. 

Well, once it's tried then it will be near impossible for them to revert unless there happened to be a change up top. Otherwise it would look really bad to let them in, then cut them out.

I 100% think they should be allowed to at least be in the pit or as stationary small ensembles. Strings are allowed, but not woodwinds? A koto or qanun is fine... but a Clarinet is the devil? Ok boss.

As far as on the field, I can see it helping in groups that are participating in Soundsport and wish to move to Open Class. They can now retain members and their original missions. Along with Soundsport groups now having more of a reason to go to Open Class, current smaller Open Class corps would have more talent to pull in to help grow their groups as well - which results in more ticket sales at some of the smaller OC events. More members participating and a larger audience.

Edited by Unknown

15 hours ago, Unknown said:

Well, once it's tried then it will be near impossible for them to revert unless there happened to be a change up top. Otherwise it would look really bad to let them in, then cut them out.

I 100% think they should be allowed to at least be in the pit or as stationary small ensembles. Strings are allowed, but not woodwinds? A koto or qanun is fine... but a Clarinet is the devil? Ok boss.

As far as on the field, I can see it helping in groups that are participating in Soundsport and wish to move to Open Class. They can now retain members and their original missions. Along with Soundsport groups now having more of a reason to go to Open Class, current smaller Open Class corps would have more talent to pull in to help grow their groups as well - which results in more ticket sales at some of the smaller OC events. More members participating and a larger audience.

Well contrasty, we’ve seen corps like the mandarins attempt to field a permanent trombone line and that got reverted. Musically I could only see a saxophone line make it on to the field. If corps seriously wanted to waste space by fielding woodwinds, they’d lose that sound that all brass corps have. Personally I think it should stay the same but I also believe there should be a more specific rule that also bans stringed instruments. I believe the ensemble should be restricted to all brass instrumentation, and any percussion they can think of. I believe the real discussion we should be having is more so about electronic instruments and the overall use of electronics and how they play into show design. 

• Upvote 2

This would be the end of drum corps.  Just like curvy-artsy drill.  And 3 valve bugles.  And b-flat horns.  And trombones and french horns.  And putting the guard into the visual focus.  And integrating the battery into the drill.  And electronics in the pit.  And using scoresheets that reward content. 

No one will go see shows anymore.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, Saxophone2494 said:

I agree. I don’t think we should get rid of all brass ensemble dominating the field and being the prime instrumentation. But if somebody is gonna say no to woodwinds for features and solos while literally every other type of instrument is used then I don’t understand where they’re coming from. If you’re that old school you should have something against violins and vocalists and everything else not strictly brass and drum line. I just don’t understand the issue with it. 

The people most up in arms about it are the old timers that are still mad that everything isn't still piston/rotor horns in the key of G

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Let the woodwinds march! I would have loved the opportunity to march in DCI when I was younger but as a saxophone player I would have had to learn a whole new instrument once I found out DCI was a thing. They don’t tell you that in 6th grade when you are picking your instrument. Let’s be more inclusive people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/27/2019 at 12:28 PM, Fan in the Stands said:

Let the woodwinds march! I would have loved the opportunity to march in DCI when I was younger but as a saxophone player I would have had to learn a whole new instrument once I found out DCI was a thing. They don’t tell you that in 6th grade when you are picking your instrument. Let’s be more inclusive people. 

Honestly, the whole "I have to learn a whole new instrument just to be able to march DCI" argument/complaint/whatever you want to call it scenario isn't really that big of a deal to those that are truly committed to doing it. I know plenty of woodwinds who picked up other instruments in order to march and had no issue. If you plan on going into music education, you have to learn how to play them all anyway, so it would be a good head start on it. If I wanted to do indoor drumline or winterguard, I would have to learn a new instrument or learn how to spin, which I currently don't, but I would definitely learn something if I had ever desired to participate in such groups.

Edited by Chase
  • Upvote 3

Whatever DCI decides to do, they will still be successful and still draw crowds and still have high caliber marching ensembles. What I would like to see, even though it more than likely won't happen given this passes, is to keep the drum corps circuit it's own thing still but give SoundSport the same platform. Basically give Soundsport groups a division that gives them the field the way DCI does for the drum corps, same rules on membership and instrumentation, just let that have woodwinds. That would be the "everyone can be happy" solution that I can come up with, but I realistically don't see it happening.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I would like to see DCI not have finals in Indianapolis every year. I miss finals being in Madison and other locations. 

as much as I’m all about woodwinds in DCI I think DCI needs to shift some focus on what they’re establishing right now. They could start with ensuring basic fair treatment of members and holding Corps accountable in doing so 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

as much as I’m all about woodwinds in DCI I think DCI needs to shift some focus on what they’re establishing right now. They could start with ensuring basic fair treatment of members and holding Corps accountable in doing so 

Yeah.. about that.. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Until there's a change in leadership in Indianapolis, you might as well give up that notion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1