Kentucky Marching Network
wolfgang.

Woodwinds in DCI?

I personally think it's silly to not at least allow it in the pit. Everything else is allowed, but flutes are the devil.

Piccolos I agree with being banned, permanently and under blood oath. But I'll never understand not allowing the rest to at least be in the pit for features.

But I'm also going to enjoy now getting a second round of meltdowns one day in the future, so at least there's that to look forward to!

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

By adding woodwinds you are completely bastardizing the whole idea of a drum and bugle corps. Some groups from an instrumentation standpoint do not need to be corrupted by other instruments which have no reason of being there. 

You aren't adding them to a British style Brass Band. Why would you do the same in a drum and bugle corps--which was never meant to be marching band??

Sorry to sound like an old man but seriously. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, The Stig said:

By adding woodwinds you are completely bastardizing the whole idea of a drum and bugle corps. Some groups from an instrumentation standpoint do not need to be corrupted by other instruments which have no reason of being there. 

You aren't adding them to a British style Brass Band. Why would you do the same in a drum and bugle corps--which was never meant to be marching band??

Sorry to sound like an old man but seriously. 

This is humor. Woodwinds bastardize the idea of drum Corp. I almost fell from my chair. Where was this complaint when everyone’s favorite Corp had a vocalist for over half the show... where is it now when corps literally have entire choirs? An electric violin and an electric guitar are still string instruments... Not brass not percussion. It’s just silly. This whole idea that adding a group of instruments would ruin the activity when literally all families of instruments have already infiltrated it. The activity isn’t what it was 40 years ago it’s not what it was 10 years ago. If you want to keep drum corps at its roots then shave away everything that’s not brass and percussion. And I’m all for that. But until that happens there’s no reason every instrument shouldn’t be included. 

I’m fine with woodwinds for solos. 

However, I don’t want an entire woodwind section on the field. Call me old school but the whole appeal of DCI is the power an 80 member hornline can provide. 90% of people go to DCI shows to have their face melted off with a beautiful brass sound. I have never once thought to myself while watching a DCI show “You know what this sound needs? Saxophones” 

I might sound like a crotchety old man but leave DCI instrumentation the way it is. I’m okay with allowing all kinds of instruments for solos. However, you’ll lose me if DCI evolves into full woodwind sections in each corps. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

I’m fine with woodwinds for solos. 

However, I don’t want an entire woodwind section on the field. Call me old school but the whole appeal of DCI is the power an 80 member hornline can provide. 90% of people go to DCI shows to have their face melted off with a beautiful brass sound. I have never once thought to myself while watching a DCI show “You know what this sound needs? Saxophones” 

I might sound like a crotchety old man but leave DCI instrumentation the way it is. I’m okay with allowing all kinds of instruments for solos. However, you’ll lose me if DCI evolves into full woodwind sections in each corps. 

This is where the 2 sides merge. I’m not all for a whole out woodwind section either. There are however a lot of shows where I felt a woodwind feature or solo would add flavor or authenticity. I always think of that synthesized flute from relentless. How cool would it have been if an actual flute was used for that. Metamorph has one of my all time favorite ballads. And I can’t help but to think a saxophone solo would’ve done nothing but elevate it even higher. I think they should be allowed and used in the same manner vocalist and electronic strings are used. 

7 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

This is humor. Woodwinds bastardize the idea of drum Corp. I almost fell from my chair. Where was this complaint when everyone’s favorite Corp had a vocalist for over half the show... where is it now when corps literally have entire choirs? An electric violin and an electric guitar are still string instruments... Not brass not percussion. It’s just silly. This whole idea that adding a group of instruments would ruin the activity when literally all families of instruments have already infiltrated it. The activity isn’t what it was 40 years ago it’s not what it was 10 years ago. If you want to keep drum corps at its roots then shave away everything that’s not brass and percussion. And I’m all for that. But until that happens there’s no reason every instrument shouldn’t be included. 

The outrage was there, you're just not going to see it when only 40 people at the most post here. Basically you're on the wrong forum to read the outrage that each of those brought.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Here's the thing.. I don't see that as an improvement to the activity. 

B-flats were an improvement because you could recruit more players and it opened up the market for other manufacturers to produce instruments. However, Kanstul made a great bugle and now most of their business is gone. 

Amplification helped with world percussion. 

Narration can and typically does take away from the music. 

The extra instrumentation is a bit excessive. 

Sorry for the old man rant but it has to stop somewhere..  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1