Jump to content
Kentucky Marching Network
bandman

Jobs OPEN in 2020//

Recommended Posts

On 6/15/2020 at 12:05 AM, theblowtorch said:

Here are the current job postings (within the last 30 days)

 

Robertson County

GRC HS

North Bullitt HS

Martin Co HS

Martin Co MS

Great Crossing HS

Corbin MS

Edmonson Co

 

If some of these have been filled please fill in the blanks. 
 The big jobs are GRC HS and Corbin MS. Both of those could be premier programs. Great Crossing has potential if they can get their act together as a school. 

Iroquois HS and Fern Creek HS in Louisville as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marion County has a ms/hs job opening for integrated music. Not too clear on it being band or something else.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Stig said:

Marion County has a ms/hs job opening for integrated music. Not too clear on it being band or something else.  

Definitely not band, at least for high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harrison’s high school director has left for a position that better suits his family. Harrison’s job is open, and the administration is looking at options this week

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, John Merz has left Harrison County and has taken the job at Great Crossing.

Edited by Chase
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chase said:

Yes, John Metz has left Harrison County and has taken the job at Great Crossing.

I believe his name is John Merz, but he has decided to take the job at Great Crossing, yes. Lol.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I believe his name is John Merz, but he has decided to take the job at Great Crossing, yes. Lol.

 

0EC1E24E-E636-4582-B759-346554BABC3D.gif

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Stig said:

 

0EC1E24E-E636-4582-B759-346554BABC3D.gif

I was just pointing out the misspelling of his name. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

I believe his name is John Merz, but he has decided to take the job at Great Crossing, yes. Lol.

I swear it was spelled right when I originally typed it. Happens to me all the time, I think something is spelled right, come back later and it is way off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Post-it Notes said:

Guys, I posted this to bring attention to an opening to give my program the best chance of finding a really good replacement, not to bring shame on someone I very much respect, and still care for as a person. I reiterate- he took the job for personal reasons, because it’s what’s best for him at this time. I’ll appeal to your sense of empathy. Let’s not try to make a hard situation more painful, please. John Merz is a good man, and if he’s taking this for personal reasons at the possible expense of career success, I think it speaks very much to his character, and to the quality of person he is. With that said, it’s time for a little positivity all around. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, on and off the boards. I hope it’s a good one for all of you 💙

No one was trying to bring shame on anyone. Don't know why you would have thought that. Just confirming facts. Don't see how that would be seen as shaming anyone.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merz will be greatly missed. He loves each and every one of the kids and the program.  Great Crossing will be blessed with Merz leading their band program.

Edited by MELLOHORN
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 3:17 AM, Ben Dover said:

I was just pointing out the misspelling of his name. Lol. 

You're good!

 

Leaving for personal reasons is one thing but Great Crossings just sounds like a trap. 

 

Just saying.. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Stig said:

Leaving for personal reasons is one thing but Great Crossings just sounds like a trap. 

Totally agree; pretty well known that the administration basically wasn’t up front w the previous director. Add to that the disasters that are the feeders, and it could be miserable for anyone.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, Ben Dover said:

KMEA

Class 1A - 23 bands
Bellevue
Somerset
Cumberland County
Danville
Lloyd Memorial
Nicholas County
Paris
Washington County
Harlan
Campbellsville
Williamstown
Powell County
McLean County
Monroe County
Owensboro Catholic
Hancock County
Lyon County
Metcalfe County
Union County
Crittenden County
Mayfield
Green County
Edmonson County

Class 2A - 18 bands
Rockcastle County
Russell Independent
Owen County
Beechwood
Mercer County
Henry County
Harlan County
Lewis County
Perry County Central
Paducah Tilghman
Casey County
Caldwell County
Murray
Lincoln County
Russellville
Trigg County
Warren East
Hart County

Class 3A - 23 bands
Russell County
Highlands
Marion County
East Jessamine
West Jessamine
Garrard County
Wayne County
Pulaski County
Rowan County
Boyle County
Estill County
Taylor County
Apollo
Logan County
Glasgow
Larue County
Adair County
Allen County-Scottsville
Breckinridge County
John Hardin
Warren Central
Franklin Simpson
Calloway County

Class 4A - 18 bands
Woodford County
Bourbon County
Anderson County
North Oldham
South Laurel
Madison Southern
Southwestern
Grant County
Harrison County
Hopkinsville
Owensboro
Barren County
Greenwood
South Warren
Bullitt East
Madisonville-North Hopkins
duPont Manual
Christian County

Class 5A - 11 bands
Paul Laurence Dunbar
Daviess County
McCracken County
Lafayette
Meade County
Henderson County
George Rogers Clark
Larry A. Ryle
Campbell County
Eastern
Madison Central

Total = 93 bands
 


MSBA

Class 1A - 6 bands 
Simon Kenton
Mason County
Thomas Nelson
Holmes
Dayton
Southern

Class 2A - 8 bands
Corbin
Christian Academy of Louisville
Ohio County
Pleasure Ridge Park
Pike County Central
Martha Layne Collins
Hopkins County Central
Seneca

Class 3A - 6 bands
South Oldham
Elizabethtown
North Laurel
Conner
Ballard
Butler Traditional

Class 4A - 2 bands
Tates Creek
Dixie Heights

Open Class - 0 bands

Total = 22 bands
 


I can't find the results for the 2019 Tri-State Marching Festival hosted by Marshall University, but as of 2017 Raceland-Worthington and Johnson Central competed. So we will say 2 total for this competition.
 


Muhlenberg was the only band who didn't compete in KMEA at MTSU Contest of Champions in 2019, so the total is 1 here.
 


Bands of America - 4 bands
Grand Nationals
Indy Super Regional
Grayson County
Henry Clay
Central Hardin
North Hardin
 


Grand total of bands that competed in 2019 from Kentucky is...
Drumroll please...

Animal-drumroll.gif?resize=720,400

 

122 bands.
#FactsAreNotOptional

Dixie is expected to return to KMEA this season if there is one. It’s on their tentative contest schedule for the season . Signed up for MidStates and KMEA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Harrison County job is officially posted. It says grades 5-12. I'm going to assume it's some sort of recorder situation for the 5th grade? I don't think the middle school director has left. Any word?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harrison County: It looks like the middle school director remains, but part of the high school director's job is to teach 5th grade classes. If you look at Mr. Merz's website at the school, he is teaching 5th grade recorders. Recorder Karate, which was a method I used when I taught elementary music for a couple of years. It's a great method to get kids started on instruments. First year I taught Recorder Karate, when the middle school director came over to test students for band, I had two students score perfect scores - the first time that happened at my school in many, many years - and from kids that truly disliked going to school.

So anyone who is interested in that position, take as much quality time with the 5th grade class as you would your high school marching band. It will majorly improve your program over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BabyHueyCavalier9092 said:

Harrison County: It looks like the middle school director remains, but part of the high school director's job is to teach 5th grade classes. If you look at Mr. Merz's website at the school, he is teaching 5th grade recorders. Recorder Karate, which was a method I used when I taught elementary music for a couple of years. It's a great method to get kids started on instruments. First year I taught Recorder Karate, when the middle school director came over to test students for band, I had two students score perfect scores - the first time that happened at my school in many, many years - and from kids that truly disliked going to school.

So anyone who is interested in that position, take as much quality time with the 5th grade class as you would your high school marching band. It will majorly improve your program over time.

Thanks for the clarification! From what I've known the middle school and high school were always 2 separate program, so it kind of threw me that it was listed as a 5-12 position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julie Lucky is the MS director, and will be heavily involved in the process.

I know GRC has interviewed (5 candidates, with a few from out-of-state). 

Has Caldwell hired?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bdit said:

Julie Lucky is the MS director, and will be heavily involved in the process.

I know GRC has interviewed (5 candidates, with a few from out-of-state). 

Has Caldwell hired?

This is good news for the first two mentioned! Hopefully all programs open will receive directors that will help these programs continue to grow in both numbers and quality!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BabyHueyCavalier9092 said:

Russellville is now open. Listed as District Arts and Humanities Coordinator / Band Director.

Requesting at least three years successful teaching experience.

Define “successful”.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BabyHueyCavalier9092 said:

Russellville is now open. Listed as District Arts and Humanities Coordinator / Band Director.

Requesting at least three years successful teaching experience.

Where did Mr Brown go? 
 

I wonder if successful means clean nose.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Stig said:

Where did Mr Brown go? 
 

I wonder if successful means clean nose.. 

He is moving to Houston, Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×