Jump to content
Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
Noot-Noot2022

Corona Talk

Recommended Posts

So, I've not really seen a whole lot on whether or not we'll have a marching season this year. I pray we do 🙏🏼. My band didn't go to festival, and I'm not sure about our spring concert. I heard that if and when students go back to school that we wouldn't be required to take end of the year testing. I'd like to know what you guys have been doing since the quarantine started. And your opinions! Please keep everything positive, we really need it in todays society. 🙂

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that we've hit the peak of it, but the reason the numbers continue to climb is because more tests are being distributed. I'd say come the end of May or the beginning of June we will see things start to go back to normal. This is just based on numbers that I've seen coming out and not listening to mainstream media, since they tend to be trying to scare everyone and use it as a political stance. I don't care who anyone voted for, we need to stick together, social distance, wash our hands, and let this thing die out for the season so that when it comes around again in December there will be vaccines ready. Canada, the UK, and several companies in the US are close to or are beginning animal trials. The end of this is near, we just have to continue to do what we are told and not have the mentality of "It'll never happen to me". 

  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I think that we've hit the peak of it, but the reason the numbers continue to climb is because more tests are being distributed. I'd say come the end of May or the beginning of June we will see things start to go back to normal. This is just based on numbers that I've seen coming out and not listening to mainstream media, since they tend to be trying to scare everyone and use it as a political stance. I don't care who anyone voted for, we need to stick together, social distance, wash our hands, and let this thing die out for the season so that when it comes around again in December there will be vaccines ready. Canada, the UK, and several companies in the US are close to or are beginning animal trials. The end of this is near, we just have to continue to do what we are told and not have the mentality of "It'll never happen to me". 

So true! Thank you for speaking out!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is truly in our hands right now. Yes more cases are popping up because of more tests but this is still extremely dangerous and highly contagious. I know Ben Dover wasn’t trying to give a false sense of security I’m just reiterating that the end may be in site but it’s not here yet. and this could last longer than we would want if we don’t make wise choices. Stay in. Binge some marching band. If you show symptoms isolate and get tested. Do your part and take this seriously. I’m sure many reading this can relate and know that this has taken a lot from us. Wether it be your senior season of winter guard or your job, we are all impacted by this and we need to do our part to help stop the spread. Stay safe band world! 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us also keep in mind the senior classes period, regardless of their involvement in the marching arts, who are missing out on their "lasts" with their friends. Those of us who have graduated know what it's like the last couple of months of the school year, and I'm sure it's taking it's toll on them not being able to share these last moments with their friends.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the dire economic consequences, and the destruction and death that would result from a self-imposed "Great Depression Part II," along with the dire social consequences of prolonged human separation, it is likely this quarantine will end sooner than some may expect relative to what we are hearing.  Whether that's because the federal and/or state governments decide to end it, or the people decide to end it...it will end.  It's not sustainable.  

Edited by KMEA Commenter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, KMEA Commenter said:

Whether that's because the federal and/or state governments decide to end it, or the people decide to end it...it will end.  It's not sustainable.  

Not to get political, but that’s what happens when your economic system is based around running at the lowest possible power to maximize profits for people at the top to sit on and not cycle back into the economy. Capitalism is unsustainable. If this gets really really bad and a lot of people perish, it’ll be because of capitalism.

  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Stig said:

I'm still working. 

 

Each state is different. 

What state are you in if I may ask?

 

i recently moved back to Kentucky from Wisconsin after losing my job due to this and can attest that it is certainly different state to state. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, trombobble said:

Not to get political, but that’s what happens when your economic system is based around running at the lowest possible power to maximize profits for people at the top to sit on and not cycle back into the economy. Capitalism is unsustainable. If this gets really really bad and a lot of people perish, it’ll be because of capitalism.

From what I am seeing, this disease seems to care not at all about your net worth.  

As for me, I would much rather be encountering the pandemic (at its peak) here than in Venezuela, North Korea, and other such nations that have overtly rejected capitalism.  (Although they have so little engagement with the outside world, they might fare ok after all.  I guess that's a tradeoff you can make...as for me, I will pass.)      

That said, if you are looking for a moment in time where capitalism is at its nadir in the United States, this may well be that time.  The market economy has been largely frozen, save for certain sectors.  Massive amounts of public funds at the federal, state, and local level across the entire country are being injected to sustain the population in substitution of the normally functioning mixed market economy.  It's as close to an experiment with pure socialism as the U.S. has been in position to implement in my lifetime.  Hell, we might even see some good old fashioned industry nationalization, just for good measure.

So, we'll see how all of that goes.  

Edited by KMEA Commenter
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Saxophone2494 said:

What state are you in if I may ask?

 

i recently moved back to Kentucky from Wisconsin after losing my job due to this and can attest that it is certainly different state to state. 

I am in Tennessee. There are many child care facilities that are still open as well. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I work in child care and I’m surprised to hear that. 

My wife is an assistant director at one. Their company is nationwide and they voluntarily shut down. The place she previously worked is still open. 

The place she works at now probably had 40% attendance last week. They shut down last Friday. To me it looks like the well-being of the families is more important than money. 

For where I work, we were made essential. Kentucky closed the new car showrooms (from what I read). I had to do an in-home delivery the other day--paperwork and all. Plus, 120 days deferment on payments with most lenders and an offer for 0% for 84 has been too good to pass up. 

 

I really don't understand the childcare thing at all.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×