Jump to content
Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
Noot-Noot2022

Corona Talk

Recommended Posts

OMEA (Ohio) has canceled their all state and district  concert  events. However they are still planning on having a marching band season which is odd imo. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saxophone2494 said:

OMEA (Ohio) has canceled their all state and district  concert  events. However they are still planning on having a marching band season which is odd imo. 

OMEA is just weird period

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From OMEA Executive Director Roger Hall:

It is with great regret that we announce the cancellation of the 2021 All-State ensembles, including the Children’s Chorus, Band, Choir, Jazz Ensemble, and Orchestra. Region Orchestras have also been canceled for the 2020-21 school year. Applications for performing ensembles and clinicians are still being accepted for the 2021 Professional Development Conference.

The COVID-19 situation posed new challenges, both in terms of safety and logistics, to our 2021 All-State ensembles, and the decision to cancel was made after great deliberation by the OMEA Board of Trustees. Our ability to guarantee a healthy environment for our students throughout the experience was of primary importance in this decision. Even though the actual events are months away and the landscape is still very uncertain, the safety issues of hotel housing, buffet meals, rehearsal spaces, and live performances indicate cancellation as the wisest course for this year.

Participation in the All-State ensembles is a musical and educational experience that cannot be replaced, and we are saddened that we cannot provide that opportunity for our students this year. Plans are already being made for All-State 2022, and we look forward to returning to the stage in Cleveland to make music with world-class teachers and conductors once again.

For students who completed their application using Acceptd, a credit will be processed on your credit card in 5-10 business days.

If you have any questions, please email omeaallstatecoordinator@gmail.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

Ohio is resuming "low contact sports" on May 26th. No sure how that will impact marching band, exactly. But bands usually don't involve a lot of head locks and full-body tackles. 

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/state-working-with-oshaa-for-school-sports-training-protocol/

 

I’m ready for 6ft apart drill. It’s about time some of y’all left the 30s (I say this with love) 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

(I say this with love) 

 

 

Just a pinch and no more. Lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this means less "band members dancing weirdly with each other drill," leading to more (distanced) straightforward badass marching, that's a win.  If it just leads to "band members dancing solo and more spread out" drill, then it's a huge missed opportunity.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

Ohio is resuming "low contact sports" on May 26th. No sure how that will impact marching band, exactly. But bands usually don't involve a lot of head locks and full-body tackles. 

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/state-working-with-oshaa-for-school-sports-training-protocol/

 

Actually I'm working on a WWE inspired show concept 🤣

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Go on...

I've already sad too much 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

June 15th ????  "Youth Sports (low touch and outdoors)"

 

https://govstatus.egov.com/ky-healthy-at-work#MinimumRequirements

Interesting... still not sure how I personally feel about having a season, but there it is. My only question is if marching band will even get included since it’s not a part of KHSAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trombobble said:

Interesting... still not sure how I personally feel about having a season, but there it is. My only question is if marching band will even get included since it’s not a part of KHSAA.

We fall under "low touch and outdoor". From what I understand restrictions on youth activities overall will be lifted on June 15th, not just sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My belief is the season will happen but there will be spectator restrictions/guidelines to adhere to social distancing. 
 

I think it’s highly unlikely that the season will be canceled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas UIL has posted their guidelines for summer marching band practices.  I realize these are for the summer in another state, but I wonder how many of these will make it into Kentucky bands' plans for the fall?

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-summer-practices-rehearsals-2020

Edited by OldLowBrassGuy
Edited for better clarity (hopefully)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OldLowBrassGuy said:

Texas UIL has posted their guidelines for summer marching band practices.  I realize these are for the summer in another state, but I wonder how many of these will make it into Kentucky bands' plans for the fall?

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-summer-practices-rehearsals-2020

Wow! Ten feet apart on all sides when actively practicing. Limit groups to 15.

Oh Hazard, where are you when we need you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas is much worse off than we are and some of their programs are much larger. I highly doubt any of these rules about 10 feet between will make it here. Maybe 6 feet, but I doubt that ad well. Is football about to become flag football? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Texas is much worse off than we are and some of their programs are much larger. I highly doubt any of these rules about 10 feet between will make it here. Maybe 6 feet, but I doubt that ad well. Is football about to become flag football? Lol.

Streamer football. Has to be long enough that you can grab the streamer and still be at least 6ft away. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×