Kentucky Marching Network

I would love to see Muhlenberg County rise up. 

It was such a fun thing to see North in the 90's and 2000's with all that talent and getting so close so many times. South made a couple of runs before the schools consolidated. 

What would it take for Muhlenberg to get back to prominence?

54 minutes ago, The Stig said:

It was such a fun thing to see North in the 90's and 2000's with all that talent and getting so close so many times. South made a couple of runs before the schools consolidated. 

A new director.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, LMHSClarinetAlum said:

White shoes!   I remember wondering not too long ago, why bands weren't wearing them anymore and why they used to wear them.  I can remember having to wear them back in the late 80s.  We had to keep them polished in fact, keep them nurse-white.  We had white pants too.  Before that though, we had purple pants with gold stripes down the sides, LOL.

1 hour ago, KMEA Commenter said:

The reason I always heard given was that most bands preferred not to wear white shoes or pants because it was easier for judges to pick out marching errors and visual mistakes.  Probably truth to that.  

That, cleaning costs, and with dark shows taking over its hard to do with white pants.

3 hours ago, KMEA Commenter said:

The reason I always heard given was that most bands preferred not to wear white shoes or pants because it was easier for judges to pick out marching errors and visual mistakes.  Probably truth to that.  

Black on a dark green background isn't going to stand out as much as bright white on a dark green background.  Makes sense.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

Black on a dark green background isn't going to stand out as much as bright white on a dark green background.  Makes sense.

Truth.  But man, the white pants and shoes against that green grass always looked so good.  

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

A new director.

This is almost always the correct answer.  You can usually trace the decline and fall of a program to the retirement or transfer of a great director.  Not always, but I'd say 90% of the time.

A new director.

I was thinking something of a philosophical change in some ways. They sound like they are bitter about anything classification and KMEA. 

There is a lot that would need to change to get that program back up to where they were. The concert program is still strong however the number of All-state musicians has been on a decline for the better part of a decade. 

I do think the bitterness toward KMEA with classification has had its part with what goes on there. They lacked something the years they were in the top 10. Sometimes it was color guard, visual effect, show design, and/or drumline. They could execute with the best of them but when everyone executes close to the same level, design gets in the way. 

43 minutes ago, The Stig said:

I was thinking something of a philosophical change in some ways. They sound like they are bitter about anything classification and KMEA. 

There is a lot that would need to change to get that program back up to where they were. The concert program is still strong however the number of All-state musicians has been on a decline for the better part of a decade. 

I do think the bitterness toward KMEA with classification has had its part with what goes on there. They lacked something the years they were in the top 10. Sometimes it was color guard, visual effect, show design, and/or drumline. They could execute with the best of them but when everyone executes close to the same level, design gets in the way. 

They COULD be bitter over 2010 results, not sure. It was the second year of the new school and they were 5th at State. They were almost 2 points off 4th, which is not really that close. Apparently had strong visual effect, placing 2nd in that caption.

51 minutes ago, The Stig said:

According to the new classification system they'd be 4A, so I'm not sure that's the reason. 

Also, being bitter over two 5th place placements just seems petty. Especially during years when a true, and obvious, top 4 had been developed in 5A with Lafayette, Dunbar, North Hardin, and Madison Central.

17 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

We have one band that I know of that still marches white pants, shoes, and gloves. That's Grant County. Not sure who else still wears them in the state. Might be some western bands still for all I know. My heart broke when Lafayette hung them up...

I think Daviess was the last of the western bands. Union Co had them back in 2009 but changed uniforms since then. Thats the only group I can think of. Calloway back in 2013 maybe? I loved seeing Hazard though.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, East Carter '87 said:

They COULD be bitter over 2010 results, not sure. It was the second year of the new school and they were 5th at State. They were almost 2 points off 4th, which is not really that close. Apparently had strong visual effect, placing 2nd in that caption.

I was at Semis that year. There was a clear gap between the top 4 and the rest of the bands that day. However, MN finished 5th 4 years in a row at the end of that school's history. So basically, they finished 5th place 5 out of 6 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlexanderTheGreat said:

I think Daviess was the last of the western bands. Union Co had them back in 2009 but changed uniforms since then. Thats the only group I can think of. Calloway back in 2013 maybe? I loved seeing Hazard though.

I think Calloways last year in white was 2012 or 2013. I honestly can't remember. I'll ask a friend from there. Daviess I do believe was the last one to switch. White pants were an identity for a lot of bands and I miss seeing them greatly. Daviess, Hazard, Lafayette, Grant, Williamstown, Harrison, Caldwell (?)...

4 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Khakis are superior 

That may be, but white is omnipotent. 

I feel the best way for a band to show off how good they are visually and really let the judges see EVERYTHING is dark green pants on a dark green background 🙃

25 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I feel the best way for a band to show off how good they are visually and really let the judges see EVERYTHING is dark green pants on a dark green background 🙃

So basically marching band camouflage. Lol.

58 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

So basically marching band camouflage. Lol.

Haha yes 

I was joking of course. My real take on white pants is that it doesn’t really matter that much and there are some visually legendary bands (like Avon) that have worn black for a long time and I don’t really think wearing black pants to hide the dirt is what sent them over. If ya dirty, ya dirty... I do think one issue you run into with white is tailoring. If you see Flower Mound you can tell those white uniforms are very well tailored. And of course we in Kentucky don’t have the resources  of bands from  big cities down in Texas. So, of course, it gives a more slim and refined look to wear black pants not tailored amazingly than white pants not tailored amazingly. (I’m not coming after any band that wears white currently I’m just saying that could be a reason... 

also Marching band took a “Dark” turn in the mid 2000s- late 2010s. Overly Dark, mysterious, and sometimes vague shows were brought on the scene by the top bands like Avon, LD Bell, and broken arrow. Tarpon did a haunting show that 10 bands have replicated since. There’s been a million witch and Halloween shows in this state alone. And considering the trends in those days it probably made it more enjoyable for the students. And with that: more focus on design came into play,  and some bands might’ve hung up their white pants to match the trends. Who knows... 

I do think though that band is evolving away from that. We’ve seen some really cool light hearted, up front, “just for fun” type shows. Even the dark shows from last season at GN finals weren’t very “dark” imo. At least not how it use to be. And we’re also seeing more and more uniform altercations or just changing the uniforms completely year after year.  so we could possibly see shows with white pants popping up here and there. Maybe only for a year or 2, rotating them in and out for show design and so on. Some groups have already been doing full top and bottom show specific uniforms (John Hardin) and we could see that go wide spread... then we’ll get to see all kinds of colored pants. Can’t wait. 

Edited by Saxophone2494

5 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Haha yes 

I was joking of course. My real take on white pants is that it doesn’t really matter that much and there are some visually legendary bands (like Avon) that have worn black for a long time and I don’t really think wearing black pants to hide the dirt is what sent them over. If ya dirty, ya dirty... I do think one issue you run into with white is tailoring. If you see Flower Mound you can tell those white uniforms are very well tailored. And of course we in Kentucky don’t have the recourses of bands from big cities down in Texas. So, of course, it gives a more slim and refined look to wear black pants not tailored amazingly than white pants not tailored amazingly. (I’m not coming after any band that wears white currently I’m just saying that could be a reason... 

also Marching band took a “Dark” turn in the mid 2000s- late 2010s. Overly Dark, mysterious, and sometimes vague shows were brought on the scene by the top bands like Avon, LD Bell, and broken arrow. Tarpon did a haunting show that 10 bands have replicated since. There’s been a million witch and Halloween shows in this state alone. And considering the trends in those days it probably made it more enjoyable for the students. And with that: more focus on design came into play,  and some bands might’ve hung up their white pants to match the trends. Who knows... 

I do think though that band is evolving away from that. We’ve seen some really cool light hearted, up front, “just for fun” type shows. Even the dark shows from last season at GN finals weren’t very “dark” imo. At least not how it use to be. And we’re also seeing more and more uniform altercations or just changing the uniforms completely year after year.  so we could possibly see shows with white pants popping up here and there. Maybe only for a year or 2, rotating them in and out for show design and so on. Some groups have already been doing full top and bottom show specific uniforms (John Hardin) and we could see that go wide spread... then we’ll get to see all kinds of colored pants. Can’t wait. 

I personally just miss the white in contrast to all the dark. White pants were the "minority" so to speak. I'm down for a band to come out with some bright orange pants as long as they have the shoes to match. Lol.

I personally just miss the white in contrast to all the dark. White pants were the "minority" so to speak. I'm down for a band to come out with some bright orange pants as long as they have the shoes to match. Lol.

NO 

I am surprised orange pants haven't happened yet. I would say Marshall County could pull them off.. 

23 hours ago, The Stig said:

Muhlenberg started going down after Burris left, and I believe that they have some pretty serious feeder/admin issues. Agreed on Campbellsville, and I think Johnson is the man to get them back (if they can hang on to him).  And would love to see Dunbar back to where it was, but they also have significant feeder issues (I think one feeder MS director even works with Lafayette and not them......try to figure that one out). Plus, Douglass and the redistricting has hurt their numbers. 

If you can, try to go back and find some old Bowling Green vids from when Brant Karrick was there. Good lord, they were smoking.......but Bowling Green as a community has definitely changed since that time. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

I am surprised orange pants haven't happened yet. I would say Marshall County could pull them off.. 

Hopkinsville in the 80s. Lol.

42 minutes ago, bdit said:

And would love to see Dunbar back to where it was, but they also have significant feeder issues (I think one feeder MS director even works with Lafayette and not them......try to figure that one out). Plus, Douglass and the redistricting has hurt their numbers.

2 director changes in 4 years doesn't exactly help either.

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

I want to get orange gloves to match the end of the arms on Grayson's uniform

4 hours ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Damn, Ben Dover, read the room...

Oh...oh...I just realized how that could sound. Thank God I quoted Saxophone, so that it can't be taken out of context. 😬

• Haha 1