Kentucky Marching Network

I've intentionally isolated myself from band for a few months, but 2 months of quarantine has me a little bored, so here goes. Any bands that you guys ever root for to make a comeback? I know the talk of expanded finals (at the expense of more exclusive semis if I'm not mistaken) has some upset for bands previously on the cusp of getting back into state, or bands that have just started cracking the top 8 at regionals, but which bands would you guys most like to see push through this season or in years to come?

Tates Creek

Louisville Male

GRC

Grant Co

Williamstown

Dixie Heights

Scott HS

Daviess Co

Boyle Co

Hazard

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bandgeeks1 said:

Central Hardin and GRC are my top 2. Also wouldn't mind seeing Russel County get it back together a little bit. 

In my eyes Russell hasn’t really dipped hard yet. It’s okay to have an off year or two and they just happened to have an off year in one of the most competitive classes. Every season they’ve had since 2013 to 2018 would’ve probably won or been very close to winning 3A last season. I think this season will tell us what the future holds for them. 

• Upvote 3

I want all the bands returning to KMEA to kick some butt. Having “fresh faces” for the new generation is really exciting, especially when it’s known they have the potential to be highly competitive.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:10 PM, theblowtorch said:

Tates Creek

Louisville Male

GRC

Grant Co

Williamstown

Dixie Heights

Scott HS

Daviess Co

Boyle Co

Hazard

Though Male is my alma mater (of course!), I'm ashamed to say I don't really follow them very closely and I'm kinda lost as to what they have been up to.  I know they don't do KMEA, I don't think they do BOA, I don't think they do the Murray contest, and I don't think they went to Murfreesboro last year.   Surely they are competing.  Anyone know?

26 minutes ago, LMHSClarinetAlum said:

Though Male is my alma mater (of course!), I'm ashamed to say I don't really follow them very closely and I'm kinda lost as to what they have been up to.  I know they don't do KMEA, I don't think they do BOA, I don't think they do the Murray contest, and I don't think they went to Murfreesboro last year.   Surely they are competing.  Anyone know?

They've gone pretty quiet the past couple of seasons especially. Still putting out something good though from what can be seen, but for me it's really a confusing program - though I get the concert world is their home. I believe last year they did Butler Traditional and Floyd Central/Indiana. Not sure if they did anything else.

Would love to see them push more into the marching side of things. I loved their Planets show - I can't remember which year it was, wanting to say 2005/2006  - and have wanted to see them do so much more ever since then. I think they did BOA with that show and did pretty well there as well.

I always enjoy Louisville Male whenever I see them. A quality program that produces some great musicians.

Etown.. 

It was amazing to watch in the 90’s and early 2000’s. It was absolutely disappointing to see what an administration can do to such a great, avant-garde program. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Stig said:

Etown.. 

It was amazing to watch in the 90’s and early 2000’s. It was absolutely disappointing to see what an administration can do to such a great, avant-garde program. 

I saw a video of Etown playing at a home game from last year and it was honestly pretty impressive. It wasn’t shock and awe-automatic-champion impressive but it was much better than I expected 

• Upvote 1

I also would add Mad South. I've enjoyed them the last couple of years and would like to see them continue to find themselves and develope their sound. 

Apollo.. 

What has happened there in the last several years has been unfortunate. This is one program that was so close in the 90's and in the 2000's on has been sad to see. 

As an alum and someone who digs deep, I cannot place blame on one person but several unfortunate and miscalculated decisions throughout the whole school system. It also baffles me to see DCHS thrive during that time with quite possibly as many different directors. 

I would love to see them grow into something great but a lot of things need to change. 

Hazard - I miss the crisp white pants, the precision marching, and above all the atmosphere this little band brought with them everywhere they went.

Boone County - Bring them back, make them what they once were in the 90s. Please. 

Daviess County - 2006 and 2007 had me on board...love both of those shows.

Honorable mentions...

GRC - They appear to be well on their way back. Just need more numbers on their side

Meade County - whats happening there? So much potential...

Dixie Heights - 2016 showed a LOT of promise but that's gone now.

Campbellsville - what a great band in the 90s...

Apollo - showed promise in 1998 but thats just a mere glimpse of the past now.

Elizabethtown - not the size they once were, but was pleasantly surprised by a football game video I saw last season.

Male - their 2000 show was one of my favorites, especially with Duel of the Fates reprised throughout the show.

Tates Creek - they just need to grow.

Paul Laurence Dunbar - yes they made finals last year, but I YEARN for the Dunbar of the mid to late 2000s. 

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

228944_173950682678412_4055989_n.jpg

If GRC brings back the Queens Guard uniforms, they get 10 extra points at every competition. 

It's in the bylaws. 

Honestly the only traditional uniforms I truly miss are the crossbelts and the bands who wore white pants.

Edited by Ben Dover
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Honestly the only traditional uniforms I truly miss are the crossbelts and the bands who wore white pants.

You and me both--at least have them for concert band and parades. 

1 minute ago, The Stig said:

I know most bands still use their traditional uniforms for parades, but I think the crossbelts have long since left us. Now the white pants, I say we start a "light" movement with lighter designs and have bands dust off the white pants, shoes, and gloves. I can dream I guess. Lol.

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

I know most bands still use their traditional uniforms for parades, but I think the crossbelts have long since left us. Now the white pants, I say we start a "light" movement with lighter designs and have bands dust off the white pants, shoes, and gloves. I can dream I guess. Lol.

White pants. White shoes. White gloves.  Not really 'due for a comeback', though.

2 hours ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

White pants. White shoes. White gloves.  Not really 'due for a comeback', though.

We have one band that I know of that still marches white pants, shoes, and gloves. That's Grant County. Not sure who else still wears them in the state. Might be some western bands still for all I know. My heart broke when Lafayette hung them up...

White shoes!   I remember wondering not too long ago, why bands weren't wearing them anymore and why they used to wear them.  I can remember having to wear them back in the late 80s.  We had to keep them polished in fact, keep them nurse-white.  We had white pants too.  Before that though, we had purple pants with gold stripes down the sides, LOL.

Edited by LMHSClarinetAlum

17 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Amen.  

5 hours ago, LMHSClarinetAlum said:

White shoes!   I remember wondering not too long ago, why bands weren't wearing them anymore and why they used to wear them.  I can remember having to wear them back in the late 80s.  We had to keep them polished in fact, keep them nurse-white.  We had white pants too.  Before that though, we had purple pants with gold stripes down the sides, LOL.

The reason I always heard given was that most bands preferred not to wear white shoes or pants because it was easier for judges to pick out marching errors and visual mistakes.  Probably truth to that.