Kentucky Marching Network

1 minute ago, theblowtorch said:

I know there was a lot of drama today. 

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like when KMEA meets they don't take 1A into consideration.

42 minutes ago, theblowtorch said:

I know there was a lot of drama today. 

I know some people talk waaaaaayyyyy too much during those meetings. And not in a positive way.......

2 hours ago, bdit said:

My newest information is that we will be receiving a poll to proceed w state championships or cancel it for this year. Has no bearing on the regular season is what I’ve been told. 

will this be open to the public or only directors?

1 hour ago, BandKid004 said:

will this be open to the public or only directors?

I’m assuming the polling will only be open to directors, because honestly, the responses from them, parents, administrators, and health officials are the only things that matter in determining if there’ll be a season.

14 minutes ago, trombobble said:

I’m assuming the polling will only be open to directors, because honestly, the responses from them, parents, administrators, and health officials are the only things that matter in determining if there’ll be a season.

It is only open to the directors I just figured it out.

6 hours ago, BandKid004 said:

Micheal Stone confirmed it in the Committee Video today.

Okay, we will see when the announcement is made. Then you'll understand.

5 hours ago, therightstuff said:

I would hold off on making any rumors public. Decisions are changing daily.

It's not a rumor, it's been told to the directors who were considering competing or those who signed up already. Have you wondered why their site was supposed to be updated in May, yet their list of classes still remains empty?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Okay, we will see when the announcement is made. Then you'll understand.

It's not a rumor, it's been told to the directors who were considering competing or those who signed up already. Have you wondered why their site was supposed to be updated in May, yet their list of classes still remains empty?

No director I talked to has been told MSBA is cancelling. 

6 hours ago, therightstuff said:

No director I talked to has been told MSBA is cancelling. 

Yes, it appears that the assistant that I had heard from was wrong. I will take full responsibility for that one. 

Cue the "fake news" posts. :violin:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Yes, it appears that the assistant that I had heard from was wrong. I will take full responsibility for that one. 

Cue the "fake news" posts. :violin:

Fake News strikes again. 

• Upvote 1

Some people just can't help themselves. 

BOA is moving forward.

MSBA is moving forward.

KMEA has a meeting this week to discuss the move forward.

Has anyone heard about MTSU COC or US Bands?

1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

Some people just can't help themselves. 

BOA is moving forward.

MSBA is moving forward.

KMEA has a meeting this week to discuss the move forward.

Has anyone heard about MTSU COC or US Bands?

Nothing from COC or US Bands as of yet.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:41 PM, bdit said:

I know some people talk waaaaaayyyyy too much during those meetings. And not in a positive way.......

You don’t say.. 

KMEA votes Wednesday on whether or not to cancel the season. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theblowtorch said:

You can watch the whole meeting on YouTube.

Or you can stick bamboo shoots in your corneas. Hard to say which is more productive and less painful. 

38 minutes ago, WGIFAN said:

Yup. And while I personally believe that a competitive season - with a few reasonable compromises - is both safe and reasonable, the decision-making bodies above KMEA are making it almost impossible. When you can't plan week-to-week, let alone for an entire season, how do you function? What happens if you put in lots of hours and resources, only to find out your season is canceled after week one? Talk about major let-down for your students. How do you manage travel with social distancing? How do you balance competing state-wide when each district may have different restrictions? What venues will be willing to host events where crowds may be limited to 50 or even forbidden altogether? Or canceled at the last minute? 

Season or no season, your list of bands going 'non-competative' is about to grow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WGIFAN said:

Not true. Only voting to cancel regionals/semis/state championships.

Edited by bdit
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bdit said:

Not true. Only voting to cancel regionals/semis/state championships.

So basically canceled....BYE

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, WGIFAN said:

So basically canceled....BYE

All the competitions leading up to that are still competition, no? The competitive season is not about some arbitrary end class placement. A few bands every year compete during normal competitions but choose not to go to championships. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, trombobble said:

All the competitions leading up to that are still competition, no? The competitive season is not about some arbitrary end class placement. A few bands every year compete during normal competitions but choose not to go to championships. 

I can’t see KMEA saying no to Regionals/State but yes to regular competitions if safety/health is their #1 priority as should be. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, trombobble said:

You said the key phrase- “a few bands”. I would say the arbitrary end class placement matters to the majority of groups in the state.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

You said the key phrase- “a few bands”. I would say the arbitrary end class placement matters to the majority of groups in the state.

I think if they do cancel championships, a ton of bands will go non-competitive. I interpreted “basically cancelled” as saying it wasn’t worth having a season without it. If they meant “basically cancelled” as in the season will end up being sparse or non-existent without championships, I agree. IMO, I think it’s highly highly likely that championships will be cancelled. If they have to book UK while also doing social distancing, KMEA will lose a LOT of money.

• Thanks 1

It's great to be back on the boards. Just popping by to put in my two cents, just like everybody else seems to want to do.

I would obviously love to have a season, but when you watch the state of things in this state, and around the country, it doesn't pass the smell test. I know that the bands that are currently planning to compete have contingency plans, such as Zoom rehearsals, for a potential positive case, but there isn't a good substitute for in person, outdoors rehearsal. Attendance to in person school and rehearsal will be spotty at best, and some schools are going to have no excuse, opt-in virtual learning, as they have where I live in Daviess Co.

Obviously, KMEA has a financial incentive to keep things going as smoothly as possible. I totally understand that and respect that. It is worth noting that participation from groups is ultimately going to be way down. From what I've heard (no names, just numbers), KMEA district 2 is looking pretty bare. Less schools marching also means that less bands show up at local competitions, and I feel like a pretty good percentage of the ones currently listed will not be viable. The shows in my area have been on the decline lately anyway, and get weaker every year (Ohio Co, Owensboro Catholic, McLean Co, Murray FOC) and this will undoubtedly put a large strain on the groups that still plan on hosting. If you don't know that you can earn money by pulling in a certain number of groups and their fanbases, what's the point in putting the logistics together and running the risk of seeding an outbreak?

I would also point out that for many groups, BOA or state is the ultimate end goal of the season... If they were to cancel, most, if not all groups would follow suit. I'm optimistic by our low case numbers, even our recent spike pales in comparison to other states. That being said, the Governor has been strongly on the side of public health, and I don't expect that to change. He's been lenient on school activities but that all depends on where we keep trending.

• Upvote 3

I would like to assume, and I know I’d be wrong, that KHSAA would have to cancel their football season for KMEA to cancel. Meaning, I don’t understand the logic behind having football but then being told by my admin that I couldn’t have a competitive marching band. But, then the admin expects the band to be there (at games) for pep band. No way. Guess I’m old-school. Jmo

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bdit said:

I would like to assume, and I know I’d be wrong, that KHSAA would have to cancel their football season for KMEA to cancel. Meaning, I don’t understand the logic behind having football but then being told by my admin that I couldn’t have a competitive marching band. But, then the admin expects the band to be there (at games) for pep band. No way. Guess I’m old-school. Jmo

You’re a hundred percent right. If it’s an admin decision then it shows very biased choice making. They’d either somehow be trying to say band is less safe than football or that they know neither is safe but they care enough about football to let it happen. Really hope this isn’t happening anywhere in the state...

Now if a director chooses to not compete due to circumstances such as band camp being banned by administration, that’s another thing.