Kentucky Marching Network

4 minutes ago, bigbandfan said:

I cannot find this on the ISSMA website.  Maybe I don't know where to click, but I clicked on Marching Band.

They will officially announce it tomorrow. 

Midstates has said they will have a season as long as bands are willing to host and attend contests. That was from an email last week. However, all of their championships are held in Ohio with the exception of Class A. If current restrictions continue, schools can’t travel out of state so only Class A would even be an option for KY groups. So unless Midstates is going to have sites in all states that participate for a region or state winner in each class, KY bands will not attend their championships either. 

The KMEA Band Council voted 11-1 to cancel the 2020 SMBC (confirming the  motion of the marching band committee to not proceed with a smbc). 

• Upvote 2

I know the article has already been posted but Lafayette just made it official on their Facebook page. They will not field a marching band this fall. Very sad. 

1 hour ago, Brass33 said:

Also heard BOA is trending in the wrong way as well

Please define what you mean by wrong, because if your definition of wrong is canceling large-scale regional and NATIONWIDE competition, then I have to sorely disagree lol

34 minutes ago, trombobble said:

Please define what you mean by wrong, because if your definition of wrong is canceling large-scale regional and NATIONWIDE competition, then I have to sorely disagree lol

Don’t take my statement so literal. I agree nationwide competition is not the best idea right now. Interpret “wrong direction” as it doesn’t look good for having a season. When it comes down to it, BOA is in the business of making money. Not as many groups competing = not as much money to be made (if any). 

1 hour ago, Brass33 said:

Don’t take my statement so literal. I agree nationwide competition is not the best idea right now. Interpret “wrong direction” as it doesn’t look good for having a season. When it comes down to it, BOA is in the business of making money. Not as many groups competing = not as much money to be made (if any). 

I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Add another national group to the non-competitive list: Homestead HS (IN) 

Would not be shocked to see the other major Indiana programs announce the same after ISSMA officially cancels tomorrow. 

Edited to add Vandegrift HS (TX) is expected to announce going non competitive on Monday.

Edited by Brass33

ISSMA will announce today that they are canceling. It is believed that this will be the final nail in the BOA coffin. There are groups dropping out of BOA regional lineups left and right. Call me Negative Nancy all you want, I’m just relaying what I’m hearing. Not a ton of positivity/optimism within the activity right now in terms on 2020.

Edited by Brass33
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

ISSMA will announce today that they are canceling. It is believed that this will be the final nail in the BOA coffin. There are groups dropping out of BOA regional lineups left and right. Call me Negative Nancy all you want, I’m just relaying what I’m hearing. Not a ton of positivity/optimism within the activity right now in terms on 2020.

Not much talk from the Ohio bands. 🧐 Mid-States will have a big meeting tomorrow afternoon. Expect an announcement from them within the coming days. 

Is Contest of Champions still happening?  If so, it may become the de facto Kentucky State Championship (i.e., the Kentucky Governor's Cup presented at COC).  

I mean, assuming KOMA doesn't take off like it should, of course.  

13 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Is Contest of Champions still happening?  If so, it may become the de facto Kentucky State Championship (i.e., the Kentucky Governor's Cup presented at COC).  

Highly doubt groups will be allowed to travel out of state. 

12 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Highly doubt groups will be allowed to travel out of state. 

If that's true of Kentucky, it's probably true of other states.  Which would then be the ultimate death knell for BOA, right?  

29 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

As of right now, nothing has been said. Tennessee is still in phase 2 and the Murfreesboro area has been hit real hard with Covid. 

9 minutes ago, The Stig said:

As of right now, nothing has been said. Tennessee is still in phase 2 and the Murfreesboro area has been hit real hard with Covid. 

Zero mandates of any kind in TN. 

17 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

If that's true of Kentucky, it's probably true of other states.  Which would then be the ultimate death knell for BOA, right?  

Correct. You’re already seeing groups dropping out of regionals. Hence my skepticism of BOA moving forward with anything this fall. 

10 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Correct. You’re already seeing groups dropping out of regionals. Hence my skepticism of BOA moving forward with anything this fall. 

BOA will announce options. Coming soon to a message board near you

12 minutes ago, theblowtorch said:

Here’s an example of why there will not be competitive marching band this fall (or any school activity) https://www.adairprogress.com/2020/07/16/positive-covid-19-case-in-the-adair-band-raises-concerns/

If protocol is to pause all activity for 2 weeks for one positive test, I don’t see the risk/reward for trying to having a season.  Instances like this are bound to happen. 

1 hour ago, theblowtorch said:

Here’s an example of why there will not be competitive marching band this fall (or any school activity) https://www.adairprogress.com/2020/07/16/positive-covid-19-case-in-the-adair-band-raises-concerns/

59 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

If protocol is to pause all activity for 2 weeks for one positive test, I don’t see the risk/reward for trying to having a season.  Instances like this are bound to happen. 

“Their suggestion is that once you have two cases, but not in the same classroom,” she gave the example of a case in the kindergarten and one in second grade, “At that point they want you to start considering closing that school. I don’t know that’s the way ours will go. That’s our guidance at this point.”

If this is the breaking point for shutting down a school, then why even bother going back? Having two unrelated cases at the same time in a school with hundreds of students is almost inevitable. Reasonable precautions - including but not limited to masks - make sense. But shutting everything down at one or two cases is absurd. How did society become so fragile? At this point, I'm not convinced there are enough grown-ups in charge that we'll have a normal 2021 season. 

• Upvote 1