Kentucky Marching Network

7 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Per Facebook, Christian County will be non-competitive 

Dixie Heights also announced non-competitive today. Will start a shorter version of band camp Aug. 3 to field a shorter 3-5min show. 

On the national level Blue Springs announced they will not field a competitive band in 2020. 

Really hope directors are keeping a close eye on rules & regulations needed in rehearsal... Already saw a video on social media of kids on break not distancing, and one wasn’t wearing a mask. Not naming names because honestly this isn’t a “call out post”, just voicing a possible concern that’s going to become more and more present in the coming weeks.

(Before anyone asks why I was following a kid in the first place, I was in high school just last year lol)

Edit: And now, photos from a band fundraiser where some kids were not wearing masks while being right next to each other. This kind of stuff is exactly why I don’t think it’s safe to have a season.

Edited by trombobble

Anyone know how the MidStates call went this afternoon? 

20 hours ago, trombobble said:

Really hope directors are keeping a close eye on rules & regulations needed in rehearsal... Already saw a video on social media of kids on break not distancing, and one wasn’t wearing a mask. Not naming names because honestly this isn’t a “call out post”, just voicing a possible concern that’s going to become more and more present in the coming weeks.

(Before anyone asks why I was following a kid in the first place, I was in high school just last year lol)

Edit: And now, photos from a band fundraiser where some kids were not wearing masks while being right next to each other. This kind of stuff is exactly why I don’t think it’s safe to have a season.

Watch “The View” much?? 😎

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

All these doctors keep saying that sending kids back to school is the right thing to do. That they are *clutches pearls* looking forward to sending their own children back ASAP. 

Stupid doctors. What do they know?? 

https://www.westernjournal.com/look-msnbc-hosts-face-priceless-experts-unanimously-agree-us-reopen-schools/

Edited by LongTimeBandMan
Autocorrect
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

For the sake of this thread, can we not post articles from websites with obvious political leanings? Let’s not open that can of worms. 

Editted to add that I don’t care where you get your news from, that’s your prerogative. I just see this thread potentially getting messy about politics rather than what’s actually going on in the marching band world.

Edited by Brass33
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brass33 said:

For the sake of this thread, can we not post articles from websites with obvious political leanings? Let’s not open that can of worms. 

Editted to add that I don’t care where you get your news from, that’s your prerogative. I just see this thread potentially getting messy about politics rather than what’s actually going on in the marching band world.

For the sake of common sense, can we evaluate the information presented regardless of the source? Can we harness those neurons which enable the wondrous human brain to engage in critical thinking and evaluate life with logical thought? Argue the items presented by the source, not the source itself. Yes, this particular site is 'Right'. The video it shows comes directly from a 'Left' news source. The bottom line remains: every one of the doctors interviewed said the same thing. Doesn't matter if it came from Fox or MSNBC. 

I have no intention of making this any type of political post. I can get more than enough of that on Facebook 🤣. But goodlawd, people. Don't turn your nose up at something because it doesn't come from the 'correct people'. Look at the argument /information. Do some investigating. On all sides of the isle. The world will be a better place. 👍

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

Back on topic, I have a buddy that works for a group that was planning to go to Macy’s. They’ve received several indicators that Macy’s will be a no-go this year. Talk about a bummer for those kids. I know they’ll be invited back for 2021, but still. 

Nothing official yet but it’s gotten to the point where the staff would be shocked if they went.

Edited by Brass33

55 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

For the sake of common sense, can we evaluate the information presented regardless of the source? Can we harness those neurons which enable the wondrous human brain to engage in critical thinking and evaluate life with logical thought? Argue the items presented by the source, not the source itself. Yes, this particular site is 'Right'. The video it shows comes directly from a 'Left' news source. The bottom line remains: every one of the doctors interviewed said the same thing. Doesn't matter if it came from Fox or MSNBC. 

I have no intention of making this any type of political post. I can get more than enough of that on Facebook 🤣. But goodlawd, people. Don't turn your nose up at something because it doesn't come from the 'correct people'. Look at the argument /information. Do some investigating. On all sides of the isle. The world will be a better place. 👍

👍🏻

Edited by Brass33
I’m not going down that path

17 hours ago, WGIFAN said:

Bump. Anybody know anything? 

On 7/18/2020 at 7:29 PM, WGIFAN said:

image.png.0a17a8dc6b4a5993966d8d4243463894.png

2 hours ago, GEVisual said:

image.png.0a17a8dc6b4a5993966d8d4243463894.png

"The Mid-States Band Association will suspend all 2020 sanctioned marching competitive live performances that involve multiple bands."  

Ummm...are there any marching band competitions that don't "involve multiple bands?"  

Does this mean a band could hold a competition with itself?  

New Kentucky Public Health guidelines

Social gatherings limited to 10 or less, but does not include "organized activities". Will be interested in reading that order to see how that impacts bands. Beshear was crystal clear that this trend is not good for schools. At this point the season is basically shot but it's interesting that some schools are still holding onto a thread of hope that they can compete. I don't see it happening but that's just me

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

Social gatherings limited to 10 or less, but does not include "organized activities". Will be interested in reading that order to see how that impacts bands. Beshear was crystal clear that this trend is not good for schools. At this point the season is basically shot but it's interesting that some schools are still holding onto a thread of hope that they can compete. I don't see it happening but that's just me

Agreed. While I do think marching band can still be worthwhile and provide learning experiences and entertainment to students and the community, it’s genuinely bizarre to see directors stating their intent to continue hosting a competition. Either they desperately need the money and they’re hoping it’ll work, or they’re far detached from current events.

In my opinion, focus should be on education right now. Beef up those show books, and spend more time on fundamentals rather than a clean show, since you probably won’t be competing any.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

"Organized activities" is meant, I suspect, to exclude mass protests from the ban on mass gatherings.  

Of course, if I throw a backyard BBQ, odds are I have specifically taken the time to organize that activity, so by that standard it should be exempt as well.  

Not the most artful approach, to put it politely.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, trombobble said:

Agreed. While I do think marching band can still be worthwhile and provide learning experiences and entertainment to students and the community, it’s genuinely bizarre to see directors stating their intent to continue hosting a competition. Either they desperately need the money and they’re hoping it’ll work, or they’re far detached from current events.

In my opinion, focus should be on education right now. Beef up those show books, and spend more time on fundamentals rather than a clean show, since you probably won’t be competing any.

Some of these directors are trying to keep their programs visible and viable. If they don’t keep active they may feel like their job gets cut or they may lose extended days/extra service pay. Those directors may have a point. At the end of this year schools will likely know the 21-22 fiscal budget (the outlook is very bleak) and may have to make some tough staffing decisions. Some of these folks are fighting for their livelihood. 

Some directors just want to see their kids and give them some in person instruction. Band camp may be the only face to face instruction some kids get this year. 

Those directors thinking they can host a contest  this year are either ignoring or not processing the reality of the situation. 

My hometown school has changed the band schedule to accommodate small groups/split classes, etc. and focusing on chamber type ensembles. Instead of a traditional band camp they are doing a small ensembles camp.  The color guard is also meeting to do fundamentals, etc. and are planning to do some sort of stage production (either indoors on the stage or outdoors on the football field). The school was not going to allow any type of large concert band classes or performances at least the first semester. The small ensembles was a compromise to continue instrumental music instruction during the school day and give the kids some type of performance opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

I think programs that are still attempting to have marching band have various motives for doing so. I think most are doing it to keep their programs visible and viable, as stated by theblowtorch. Some directors are fighting to show that their programs are essential and them fighting to have marching band is the most visible way to show decision makers that music education is important and should be treated as such.

If there are directors that are moving forward with the idea that they’re actually going to compete and travel, it makes me wonder how in-touch with reality they are.

• Upvote 1

Also, word on the street is that BOA is cancelling all events 

Don’t quote me on it but that’s what’s going around on HornRank right now.

Edited by Brass33

34 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Also, word on the street is that BOA is cancelling all events 

Don’t quote me on it but that’s what’s going around on HornRank right now.

Yup, plus most bands who normally attend BOA have already announced they’ll be non-competitive this season.