Kentucky Marching Network

On 8/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, musicislife said:

There always seems to be confusion with the rest of the state on this topic. The following Louisville Bands are competitive:

Southern, PRP, Seneca - Mid-states only

duPont Manual, Ballard, Male, Butler Traditional, Eastern - a combination of circuits (mostly KMEA or Mid-states). In recent years, Eastern and duPont Manual are the only two JCPS bands that have participated in KMEA state competition. Eastern has also started doing some BOA regionals. 

That was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  But after seeing the actual list, I'm kind of amazed how many schools in Jefferson County do not field competitive marching bands.  More than I realized.  

Of course, the Louisville area has bands in contiguous counties that are competitive, such as Meade County, the Bullitt County schools, and Oldham County Schools, and Shelby County schools, all in easy driving distance.  

Any bands still planning to host a smaller competition later this year? Highly doubt it. Just curious.  

3 minutes ago, WGIFAN said:

Any bands still planning to host a smaller competition later this year? Highly doubt it. Just curious.  

I would honestly advise against it. 

The pool is shallow for one. Also, if you were to host a competition, money would be lost. 

Honestly, are there any bands still doing something competitive? Every circuit that would be a feasible option has already closed up for the season. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

As of 8-2-2020,

Only only 16 contests have either decided to keep planning or not have an announcement for a contest. 

An update will be available tomorrow--8-4-2020. 

7 hours ago, The Stig said:

I would honestly advise against it. 

The pool is shallow for one. Also, if you were to host a competition, money would be lost. 

Honestly, are there any bands still doing something competitive? Every circuit that would be a feasible option has already closed up for the season. 

Some might still try to put out a competitive style product, depends on how the director for that program would want to go about things. I'd take the year and just do a non-competitive college band type show. Give the kids something different to do and can still be fun. Also, probably subject to what the school districts decide about sporting events and such.

*I haven't been keeping up with any news of such things other than what friends tell me so I apologize if I miss anything.

Yeah it seems most that are still trying to do something have tabled their actual competitive show they had planned and are doing much different shows to fit the constraints of this year.  I beleive most programs still moving forward know that football games or a community/slash parent performance may be all they get to do. If a few schools can figure out how to host a small event I don't have any issues with that. Everyone has a choice on whether to participate. 

2 hours ago, Bandgeeks1 said:

If a few schools can figure out how to host a small event I don't have any issues with that. Everyone has a choice on whether to participate. 

This is all I've been saying, along with the fact that KMEA does not have a monopoly (even if it seems that way).  Totally understand schools/bands that decide not to try to compete.  But I don't think one size necessarily fits all.  And if a group decides to come together to try to make it work, I say more power to them.  And if not, that's cool too.    

• Upvote 1

US Bands has released their plans for events.

https://yea.org/sites/default/files/u8917/USBands%202020-21%20Plan%20Web.pdf

There will not be KMEA all state ensembles this school year. I understand the decision was made this past week by the KMEA board. The KMEA conference held in February will move to a virtual format for 2021. 

• Sad 1