Jump to content
Kentucky Marching Network

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I do believe this is the actual rule in BOA. You can combine within your district but not outside of it. 
schools that compete on the national stage in this way are:

O’Fallon 
PCEP (I think)

Lawrence township 

pretty much anyone with ‘township’ in the name does it. 

I’m not sure if Hopkinsville is a part of the Christian county school district or if it’s like a campbellsville situation but KMEA has a lot more restricting rules than BOA and surrounding state circuits do. 

Thats the thing though. Look through the rulebook and point out the rule that says schools within the same district can't combine forces. There isn't one, or at least last time I checked there wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

🤔 I wonder if that might just be the right decision: back to basics. A year with no props, no electronics. Just marching and music. It would certainly reduce funding issues and even the potential coronavirus 'lock down' of a band in the middle of the season - less stuff being handled by numerous people. 

We will see some programs go back to the basics or using homemade props again, I can almost lay money on that.

29 minutes ago, bdit said:

Many, many programs in this state don't get any type of funding from their BOE. Then they have to pay for transportation, etc, on top of other costs. I do agree with you on the fundraising part. You aren't going to be able to go out and get sponsorships, etc, like you once could. And it's a shame some bands need a pandemic to force them to "get back to basics."

I also wonder if a director chooses not to compete, if he/she will have to forfeit that part of their stipend? I can see a superintendent saying, "if you're not going to be competing on Saturdays during the Fall, then we'll just save that money." Yes, I know much more goes into it. But I also know how some administrators can be. Just a thought. 

This honestly sounds like an issue at the BOE level that needs to be sorted out. If it's in the contract of the director that they must have a competitive marching band then they need to be forking out some money to sustain such a program.

As for stipends, I'd say those will be revoked if they choose not to compete. Would make sense to me.

5 minutes ago, The Stig said:

That is a good question. 

I interviewed for job 10 years ago that had a non-competitive band and was paying the stipend to do so. They stressed wanting to enter the competitive arena and never did. 

I have heard about some stipends that won't be paid this year. 

Some of the larger programs might be hurt the most due to all of the staff they hire every year. You also might see an assistant director job go away for the time being. 

 

Just a thought.. Sports have been cleared to play. If football and basketball both get cancelled, you'll see a domino effect when it comes to funding other activities. 

The program I'm affiliated with is withholding stipends until a decision is made. If allowed to compete, stipends will be paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically, I think most directors will design shows like normal in regards to drill and spacing while enforcing social distance guidelines off the field.
 

If they’re going to let football teams play normally, they should let marching bands operate normally on field as well IMO. Don’t see the logic in letting the football players line up shoulder to shoulder and make physical contact on every play while the band kids have to maintain 3-step intervals while on field. Marching band is already way more socially distant than other activities. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brass33 said:

Realistically, I think most directors will design shows like normal in regards to drill and spacing while enforcing social distance guidelines off the field.
 

If they’re going to let football teams play normally, they should let marching bands operate normally on field as well IMO. Don’t see the logic in letting the football players line up shoulder to shoulder and make physical contact on every play while the band kids have to maintain 3-step intervals while on field. Marching band is already way more socially distant than other activities. 

I agree with this. The guidelines are well meaning and appreciated by me and also probably serve more as a legal protection for kmea in the event anything should happen and that's understandable to me. 1A-3A can probably follow them easily. 4A gets harder and it becomes almost impossible for 5A especially for Lafayette and the beast that is MC. How do you socially distance a group of 280 off the field? It would be worth going to a practice of theirs to see it in action. However, if you've ever seen where they practice there won't be room for anyone else but their band bc it will take the field and parking lot next to it to accommodate that😂 I wish all the groups the best of luck and will just say right now to the staffs of all programs the extra work they will be putting now due to all this is greatly appreciated! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I look at it is do ANYTHING to give these kids a season after the year we've had. Do whatever you have to do because the kids deserve something positive after the last 5 months.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m totally fine with the recommendation and it is, as BandGeeks stated, probably for legal purposes. But if you think our 200+ groups (NH, Lafayette, MC) are going to strictly follow it, I’m not buying it lol. They might make some modifications (I.e. visuals with no performer-on-performer contact, limit small interval sets) but the 3-step interval at all times is not realistic for groups like that, imo. All three of them are planning to compete nationally this next season and will design their shows accordingly. I could be wrong though. As Ben Dover mentioned, I’m just happy to have a season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are competitions going to be held online? If not, how are students supposed to be transported to/from each event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brassnuts said:

Are competitions going to be held online? If not, how are students supposed to be transported to/from each event?

By bus...with masks worn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

By bus...with masks worn.

With one student to a seat and minimum 6’ between students? Won’t that at least quadruple bus expenses (fuel, drivers, maintenance, etc.)?

I’m aware that will be the protocol for August in Kenton County for standard curriculum student transport. Not sure how tightly that lines up with KDE protocols. But if Kenton County applies the same transportation standards to extracurricular events as it does to required instruction, we’re going to have an expensive season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brassnuts said:

Are competitions going to be held online? If not, how are students supposed to be transported to/from each event?

How in the world would competitions be held online? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, brassnuts said:

With one student to a seat and minimum 6’ between students? Won’t that at least quadruple bus expenses (fuel, drivers, maintenance, etc.)?

I’m aware that will be the protocol for August in Kenton County for standard curriculum student transport. Not sure how tightly that lines up with KDE protocols. But if Kenton County applies the same transportation standards to extracurricular events as it does to required instruction, we’re going to have an expensive season.

 

From my understanding it's not going to be 1 student per seat, just masks worn by that time.

30 minutes ago, Chase said:

How in the world would competitions be held online? lol

Live streaming? It was part of the discussion at a meeting a while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

From my understanding it's not going to be 1 student per seat, just masks worn by that time.

Thanks. Any idea if that part of the plan was cleared by KDE? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brassnuts said:

Thanks. Any idea if that part of the plan was cleared by KDE? 

Pretty sure KDE is leaving it up to the local school boards on how to move forward as long as they abide by the CDC recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Live streaming? It was part of the discussion at a meeting a while back.

Maybe if this state wasn't such a rural place that would be more plausible, but considering the areas some schools that host competitions in, the broadcasting a live stream from the show site or of each band streaming live from their home fields for competitions, there's just absolutely no way everyone would be on an even playing field with that. That idea would be dead in the water before it would ever be attempted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe many schools will not participate in KMEA even if allowed to. Going to take off a year and stay safe and healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be interesting to see how color guards pan out, I know a good majority were unable to have auditions/spring practices due to school being out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chase said:

Maybe if this state wasn't such a rural place that would be more plausible, but considering the areas some schools that host competitions in, the broadcasting a live stream from the show site or of each band streaming live from their home fields for competitions, there's just absolutely no way everyone would be on an even playing field with that. That idea would be dead in the water before it would ever be attempted.

Funny, because it was discussed at multiple meetings, so obviously they thought it was a viable option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

Funny, because it was discussed at multiple meetings, so obviously they thought it was a viable option.

Please tell me you are joking.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bdit said:

Please tell me you are joking.........

It was discussed that bands would live stream their performance to a central base for the competition, and judges would be judging from home while watching the stream. Yes, this was a viable option because it would give the kids some sort of season. This isn't about us, as spectators, but the kids. They are what is most important right now because it is on their shoulders for the continuance of the activity after this. If they don't have a season this year a lot of programs will see dips in numbers, so to repeat what I said a few posts up, do anything to give these kids a season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently a live audience is not allowed and if groups are not allowed to travel the only option other than cancellation is to use live streaming and virtual alternatives. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

It was discussed that bands would live stream their performance to a central base for the competition, and judges would be judging from home while watching the stream. Yes, this was a viable option because it would give the kids some sort of season. This isn't about us, as spectators, but the kids. They are what is most important right now because it is on their shoulders for the continuance of the activity after this. If they don't have a season this year a lot of programs will see dips in numbers, so to repeat what I said a few posts up, do anything to give these kids a season.

Not a viable option at all. Jmo

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdit said:

Not a viable option at all. Jmo

Same. There are just too many issues that come into play with it. And it’s still a season I guess but is it really? I think if i was a student and I was told that every competition would be a glorified practice run I’d probably opt out to take pottery or something... not to mention there would be a total lack of accountability on all ends. And I guess we expect the weather to be the same across the state for 3 months? Horrible idea. I agree with chase. It had to be dead the minute it was suggested. 
 

it’s funny to me that y’all want to complain about the judges and then think they can be trusted to judge a livestream from their home. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Same. There are just too many issues that come into play with it. And it’s still a season I guess but is it really? I think if i was a student and I was told that every competition would be a glorified practice run I’d probably opt out to take pottery or something... not to mention there would be a total lack of accountability on all ends. And I guess we expect the weather to be the same across the state for 3 months? Horrible idea. I agree with chase. It had to be dead the minute it was suggested. 
 

it’s funny to me that y’all want to complain about the judges and then think they can be trusted to judge a livestream from their home. 

Or just have a competition without fans then. I don’t like the livestream option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, WGIFAN said:

Or just have a competition without fans then. I don’t like the livestream option 

That is not financially viable. Hosts must make $$$$ to pay judges.
 

The goal with the restart of school is the continuation of music education. Virtual learning and events will likely have to be a part of the process all year. 
 

Do not plan on or expect 20-21 being normal. This year will be about keeping things  afloat and providing adapted music education experiences in a covid 19 world. 
 

In a post covid 19 world many things will eventually return to normal. Local HS band will look like it did before. Nationally things may be different. I’m not sure Music for All (BOA) and DCI can survive a year (or longer) without events. 

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm wrong in thinking we have to do anything we can to give these kids any sort of season. Shame on me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×