Kentucky Marching Network

After a BOA Events Team call last night, BOA will be making a decision on their season by July 16th. Should be interesting to see what they decide! 

12 minutes ago, WGIFAN said:

After a BOA Events Team call last night, BOA will be making a decision on their season by July 16th. Should be interesting to see what they decide! 

The shows must go on. They will go as planned, so I’ve heard. I heard the decision has been made and they are adjusting show guidelines to help. 

25 minutes ago, therightstuff said:

The shows must go on. They will go as planned, so I’ve heard. I heard the decision has been made and they are adjusting show guidelines to help. 

It's July. It seems silly to say today that an event is going to go on as scheduled in November. I hope everything goes off as planned, but as things stand today, I can't imagine a single marching band contest taking place in the fall.

Instead of trying to figure out logistics for marching band, I wish all focus would be on how to get students back in buildings full time in the fall. I understand that you have to plan as if things are going to happen, but I have not seen anything that convinces me we can do marching band safely in the fall.

Z

The answer to every question is still " I don't know", and I'm okay with that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Fayette County just sent out a survey to parents today asking parents questions like, are you comfortable with putting your child on a bus? Are you comfortable with your child being in a classroom? Etc. FCPS is also starting school later than what was originally on the schedule.

Apparently July 12th is a big day for finding stuff out. 

I agree with MikeZ, finding out a way to get everyone back in the classroom needs to be priority. Without that, there’s no marching band.

42 minutes ago, therightstuff said:

I don’t know where you’ve heard this but no decisions have been officially made by KMEA or BOA. Everything is just hearsay right now. I believe you have been misinformed.

3 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Fayette County just sent out a survey to parents today asking parents questions like, are you comfortable with putting your child on a bus? Are you comfortable with your child being in a classroom? Etc. FCPS is also starting school later than what was originally on the schedule.

What an odd thing to do. Of course the Karens of the world aren't ready to let their children resume anything resembling normality. Perhaps the schools should base their decisions on the the advice of some type of scientific body. One that focuses on the health and well-being of children, perhaps? ... I don't know... The American Academy of Pediatrics, maybe?

"... the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of in-person learning is well-documented..." 

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

I don’t know where you’ve heard this but no decisions have been officially made by KMEA or BOA. Everything is just hearsay right now. I believe you have been misinformed.

11 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Just check the social media outlets for Music for All. 

1 hour ago, therightstuff said:

Just check the social media outlets for Music for All. 

As with the entire Covid situation, everything is fluid. I know what you’re referring to but WGIFan is correct, the BOA season is still up in the air right now and there is going to be a call in mid July to make some decisions. Anyone telling you that there definitely is going to be a season is speaking nonsense. KMEA and BOA/Music For All are still assessing.

Anderson County is apparently going to be giving parents a choice.  We can send our kids back to school full time, we can have them in school part of the time and at home part of the time, or we can keep them at home and do full time distance learning.  As long as it is REASONABLY safe, and I think it will be... my kids are going BACK.  Full time.

Also, as of now, Anderson County is having a normal marching band season.  Well, as close to normal as possible anyway.

• Upvote 1

Several school systems have already sent out the surveys, so it's odd to me that Fayette County, one of the leaders in the state, is as behind as they are in getting that ball rolling. 

As for their school year starting late, I believe the majority of the state is starting back around August 26th.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brass33 said:

As with the entire Covid situation, everything is fluid. I know what you’re referring to but WGIFan is correct, the BOA season is still up in the air right now and there is going to be a call in mid July to make some decisions. Anyone telling you that there definitely is going to be a season is speaking nonsense. KMEA and BOA/Music For All are still assessing.

It’s a done deal. Just use common sense.

It’s a done deal. Just use common sense.

I’m not here to argue. I’ll stick with what I know, which is the circuits don’t know. You literally had the most well known director in the state admit that he has no idea what’s going to happen this fall just yesterday. Everyone is just guessing and nothing is a “done deal” yet. I know some circuits made preliminary announcements but with the current trend of the virus, many are revisiting. Like I said, it’s a fluid situation. If BOA is going on as planned, why haven’t they announced lineups? They usually do that at the beginning of May every year. It’s almost like they’re not certain a season is feasible yet. Maybe I’m using too much common sense.

Word is some BOA regionals will be cancelled, esp those with low enrollment. On a side note, I saw where Texas is going to be doing video auditions for their all-state groups.

55 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

I’m not here to argue. I’ll stick with what I know, which is the circuits don’t know. You literally had the most well known director in the state admit that he has no idea what’s going to happen this fall just yesterday. Everyone is just guessing and nothing is a “done deal” yet. I know some circuits made preliminary announcements but with the current trend of the virus, many are revisiting. Like I said, it’s a fluid situation. If BOA is going on as planned, why haven’t they announced lineups? They usually do that at the beginning of May every year. It’s almost like they’re not certain a season is feasible yet. Maybe I’m using too much common sense.

As soon as schools announce start dates, you’ll get your lineups. Everyone is waiting on everyone else. Just hang on tight. 

As soon as schools announce start dates, you’ll get your lineups. Everyone is waiting on everyone else. Just hang on tight. 

Okay but how are you so confident in that? 

I Don’t watch Lafayette’s Facebook page. I don’t have a kid in a program but I trust people on here aren’t just making all that up for the heck of it... I’ve seen BOA’s posts and what not but it still seems to me that it is up in the air and could go either way. I mean, I hope you’re right... but you’re giving a really definitive vibe and you’re not showing anything to back it other than a few social media posts... 

I hope we do have a season, but nothing is a “done deal” right now. Probably won’t know anything for a couple of weeks. Everyone I know is hopeful but we literally have directors coming out and saying they don’t know anything when they are communicating with their kids and parents. If there were definite plans in place from BOA and KMEA, they would have already been communicated. Clarity will come soon. But nothing is definite right now.

Edited by Brass33
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, therightstuff said:

Warren County starts school on August 5th, guidelines can be found on the Warren County Public Schools website.

34 minutes ago, Chase said:

Warren County starts school on August 5th, guidelines can be found on the Warren County Public Schools website.

Are the guidelines up for what the day will look like for the students? 

7 hours ago, Brass33 said:

I hope we do have a season, but nothing is a “done deal” right now. Probably won’t know anything for a couple of weeks. Everyone I know is hopeful but we literally have directors coming out and saying they don’t know anything when they are communicating with their kids and parents. If there were definite plans in place from BOA and KMEA, they would have already been communicated. Clarity will come soon. But nothing is definite right now.

At least nothing definite that you know.

I know everyone hates speculation, and I don’t want to be a debby downer, but we’ve surpassed 50k new cases a day. What’s it going to be like in two weeks as guard and percussion camps start up? Four weeks as camps are ending?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, trombobble said:

I know everyone hates speculation, and I don’t want to be a debby downer, but we’ve surpassed 50k new cases a day. What’s it going to be like in two weeks as guard and percussion camps start up? Four weeks as camps are ending?

Honestly I think it's a waste of time to be planning for marching band right now. We just passed 50,000 cases in a single day. How do people expect things will be in the fall or going into winter? Do people really think its safe to bring large groups of kids together multiple times a week and then send them home to their family and relatives? To grandma and grandpa? Can you safely pack 50 students into a bus? Is the drill supposed to be written so that everyone stands 6ft apart the whole show? I think the only reason BOA and KMEA haven't canceled the season is because they're not sure how they can survive without a season financially. I don't think the kid's lives or their family members lives are worth risking. Hell, the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if DCI has to cancel the 2021 season too. 

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, therightstuff said:

At least nothing definite that you know.

You are correct. If there are definite plans in place, then I don’t know. Hard to believe that if they had a definite plan, they would not have at least let the directors know. If they’ve communicated a plan to the directors, we would know. But I’m going to believe the directors coming out and saying they don’t know what’s going to happen, why would they lie? 

On 6/30/2020 at 7:00 PM, Bandgeeks1 said:

I hate to hear this but understand. Staying positive though!

In the age of COVID, it's better to be negative.  

Edited by KMEA Commenter
I thought of a marginally funnier thing to say. It still kind of sucks, though.
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, therightstuff said:

Are the guidelines up for what the day will look like for the students? 

Not that I am aware of, but I'm sure I have an email somewhere with something since I work for the school system here. If I can find it, I will share.