Kentucky Marching Network

My optimism for a season has reached a new low. Hope I’m wrong. Don’t feel at liberty to state why, but I believe we will have a clearer picture by this time next week.

Edited by Brass33
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

My optimism for a season has reached a new low. Hope I’m wrong. Don’t feel at liberty to state why, but I believe we will have a clearer picture by this time next week.

We read the 1st post. Any schools going to go non competitive are the minority. They better hold off a few days before jumping off the deep end. You’re about to hear why.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, therightstuff said:

We read the 1st post. Any schools going to go non competitive are the minority. They better hold off a few days before jumping off the deep end. You’re about to hear why.

Can’t wait for you to enlighten us. No one knows anything right now, so excuse me for not believing you know more than the directors do. Big meetings happening within the next week or so for both KMEA and BOA to make some decisions. Will be hard to be competitive if there isn’t a circuit to compete in.

Edited by Brass33
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Can’t wait for you to enlighten us. You obviously know more than the directors I know.

I know the directors you know and more info

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Can’t wait for you to enlighten us. No one knows anything right now, so excuse me for believing you know more than the directors do. Big meetings happening within the next week or so for both KMEA and BOA to make some decisions. Will be hard to be competitive if there isn’t a circuit to compete in.

From what I've heard, from directors and staff members across the state, only one of them have expected KMEA to cancel their season and that director has already canceled their season due to funding. I very well could be wrong, but I believe KMEA will move forward in some form. BOA is a different beast all together due to the national number of Covid cases being reported daily, but Kentucky has plateaued the graph line. Lets also not forget we haven't heard anything from MSBA. 

Edited to add...

In my opinion, if UIL can continue I see no reason why we can't.

Edited by Ben Dover

Executive committee meets Saturday after KHSAA; will know lots more then. Anything else is pure speculation.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, therightstuff said:

I know the directors you know and more info

Then, by all means, share with us. 

The guidelines for the return to marching band activities were revised on July 4th. I honestly didn't see much that had changed since the guidelines were released last month. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, bdit said:

Executive committee meets Saturday after KHSAA; will know lots more then. Anything else is pure speculation.

Yup. This meeting was what I was referencing. Should know more after the meeting. Directors/administrators are waiting on the outcome of this meeting when determining how to proceed with their programs. Anyone saying they definitively know what’s going to happen is just guessing.

Edited by Brass33

KHSAA posted just 4 hours ago that they are planning to have fall sports, so I would assume that KMEA will follow suit. This meeting usually happens around this time of the year for KMEA doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

KHSAA posted just 4 hours ago that they are planning to have fall sports, so I would assume that KMEA will follow suit. This meeting usually happens around this time of the year for KMEA doesn't it?

The commissioner is planning on proceeding with fall sports in some capacity. What that looks like will be determined by the KHSAA board of control at Friday’s meeting. 

1 hour ago, theblowtorch said:

The commissioner is planning on proceeding with fall sports in some capacity. What that looks like will be determined by the KHSAA board of control at Friday’s meeting. 

As long as KHSAA continues in some capacity, I'm sure KMEA will follow in the same form since their guidelines are coinciding with KHSAA.

5 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

As long as KHSAA continues in some capacity, I'm sure KMEA will follow in the same form since their guidelines are coinciding with KHSAA.

What if KHSAA limits fans to parents of athletes only or no fans at all? Who is going to host a KMEA show and lose revenue? For KMEA the two challenges are bus transportation (ex. Band A has to take 4 buses this year instead of 2 to dilute capacity)and fans. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AMAC said:

What if KHSAA limits fans to parents of athletes only or no fans at all? Who is going to host a KMEA show and lose revenue? For KMEA the two challenges are bus transportation (ex. Band A has to take 4 buses this year instead of 2 to dilute capacity)and fans. 

KMEA has been clearing the stands between regionals for years, so why not implement this between each class or each band? This keeps contact down to a minimum in the stands, fans will be able to properly socially distance, and schools who rely on competitions for funding will still make their buck.

Also from my understanding, the challenge of bus transportation is being left up to each district for extra curricular activities, which marching band is. Most districts I've heard from are reporting that transportation will be close to normal, just limiting numbers on buses as to not hit the max number of 72 passengers and masks will be required. So really, the challenge for KMEA is fans in the stands, and I believe they will work that out. As I said before, if UIL can do it then there's no reason we can't.

17 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

KMEA has been clearing the stands between regionals for years, so why not implement this between each class or each band? This keeps contact down to a minimum in the stands, fans will be able to properly socially distance, and schools who rely on competitions for funding will still make their buck.

Also from my understanding, the challenge of bus transportation is being left up to each district for extra curricular activities, which marching band is. Most districts I've heard from are reporting that transportation will be close to normal, just limiting numbers on buses as to not hit the max number of 72 passengers and masks will be required. So really, the challenge for KMEA is fans in the stands, and I believe they will work that out. As I said before, if UIL can do it then there's no reason we can't.

Exactly. As I keep stating, just stay tuned. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

So with a prelims finals competition, generally no class has more than 5 or 6 bands per class. So clearing after each class is feasible. When do you clear the stands during a 10 band finals performance? Top half, bottom half? Good luck with that. I guess it's also worth mentioning that no bands will be permitted to stay and watch other bands after they perform

14 minutes ago, AMAC said:

So with a prelims finals competition, generally no class has more than 5 or 6 bands per class. So clearing after each class is feasible. When do you clear the stands during a 10 band finals performance? Top half, bottom half? Good luck with that. I guess it's also worth mentioning that no bands will be permitted to stay and watch other bands after they perform

Why do you always have to be so damn rude to people? Every time you post it's always to be so snide. If you ask me, a director shouldn't conduct themselves in a public setting/forum like that, but what do I know, right? I was SO wrong about Harrison being a sure bet for state finals last year. *Sarcasm*

Anyways, to answer your question, maybe due to current events competitions should move to a "one and done" system until the situation goes back to normal. That would make competitions feasible. 

22 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Why do you always have to be so damn rude to people? Every time you post it's always to be so snide. If you ask me, a director shouldn't conduct themselves in a public setting/forum like that, but what do I know, right? I was SO wrong about Harrison being a sure bet for state finals last year. *Sarcasm*

Anyways, to answer your question, maybe due to current events competitions should move to a "one and done" system until the situation goes back to normal. That would make competitions feasible. 

One and done could be feasible but it's a risk for any band program signed up to host a show. There are just a lot of upfront costs: judges, concessions, custodial costs, trophies, etc.

Edited by AMAC
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AMAC said:

One and done could be feasible but it's a risk for any band program signed up to host a show. There are just a lot of upfront costs: judges, concessions, custodial costs, trophies, etc.

Why would a "one and done" season be a risk for any band hosting? Ticket money will still be made, which is where the majority of the money comes in to pay judges. Concessions will still be bought by fans, as long as concessions will be open, allowing for the bands to make their part of profit. Trophies are generally sponsored, because lord knows we've all sat through the explanation of each trophy sponsor at every competition since the beginning of time. Custodial is generally taken care of by the students or parent volunteers. 

21 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Why would a "one and done" season be a risk for any band hosting? 50% Ticket money will still be made, which is where the majority of the money comes in to pay judges. 50% Concessions will still be bought by fans, as long as concessions will be open, allowing for the bands to make their part of profit. Trophies are generally sponsored, because lord knows we've all sat through the explanation of each trophy sponsor at every competition since the beginning of time. Custodial is generally taken care of by the students or parent volunteers- this varies by district.

Edited by AMAC

On 7/1/2020 at 11:02 PM, bdit said:

Word is some BOA regionals will be cancelled, esp those with low enrollment. On a side note, I saw where Texas is going to be doing video auditions for their all-state groups.

I predict this happens here as well.

20 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

In my opinion, if UIL can continue I see no reason why we can't.

Because the pandemic situation in Texas and Kentucky are identical right? 🙄

Bourbon Co has just announced on FB they will be going non competitive this season 

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 4

There are enough votes on the MB board of control to cancel the KMEA season. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Because the pandemic situation in Texas and Kentucky are identical right? 🙄

They aren't, and that's what I'm saying. Texas is much worse off than we are, so if UIL can do it then why can't we?