Kentucky Marching Network

1 hour ago, trombobble said:

Radical individualism and the American obsession with appearing strong and on top of it no matter what is going to kill us. Self isolating with digital learning isn’t living fearfully, it’s doing what every other country in the world did to lower numbers successfully. We ended quarantine far too early and we’re paying the price. 

Also, while younger people are less at risk, they can still spread it to all of their family. Opening schools back up and allowing marching band is essentially interconnecting every single household in an area’s diagnosis. If one person has it, they’re going to spread it to everyone else. That’s why it’s not safe.

Please back away from the cliff. 

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, trombobble said:

Radical individualism and the American obsession with appearing strong and on top of it no matter what is going to kill us. Self isolating with digital learning isn’t living fearfully, it’s doing what every other country in the world did to lower numbers successfully. We ended quarantine far too early and we’re paying the price. 

Also, while younger people are less at risk, they can still spread it to all of their family. Opening schools back up and allowing marching band is essentially interconnecting every single household in an area’s diagnosis. If one person has it, they’re going to spread it to everyone else. That’s why it’s not safe.

Rachel Maddow much??

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Obviously I hope I’m wrong and everything that’s currently in progress will go without kids and their families dying, but nothing I’m saying is hyperbole or incorrect.

35 minutes ago, trombobble said:

Obviously I hope I’m wrong and everything that’s currently in progress will go without kids and their families dying, but nothing I’m saying is hyperbole or incorrect.

Ah yes, because we are all experts on all things Covid-19 online. Lol.

Fact of the matter is we are much more ahead of the rest of the United States. Boarders may be put on lockdown after the spikes this weekend, but regardless as long as high school football continues in the state so will marching band. Bands are taking every precaution possible per the requests of KHSAA, KMEA, and their local Board of Education. Water fountains are not to be used, 6 foot distances while not on the field and 3 foot distance while on the field, masks are to be worn off the field and in transport to and from competitions, student, staff, and volunteer temperatures are to be taken when they arrive, after lunch, and after supper and anyone with a temperature of 100.4 or higher is to be sent home immediately. Hand sanitizer is passed out regularly, and hand washing is mandatory. As everyone who is actually a professional in the healthcare field has been saying, wash our hands, wear masks, and we will be fine. So with that said, I will be stepping down off the soap box.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bandgeek25 said:

you see the thing is why should kentucky do what the other states are doing, when our cases aren't near as bad as theirs. like yes we have an increase but we need to look at our state and then decide not make the decision off what school across the country are doing.

Opening up too early and easing restrictions is the reason why these states are seeing cases skyrocket. If we follow in their footsteps, then we will see the same results. 

Also, there are not magical barriers between the states to stop the spread of disease. The US is one land. Saying we can open up and do things because COVID isn't as rampant within one imaginary border as it is within a different imaginary border is exactly the mistake that Texas, Florida, and Arizona made. 

Edited by mulandarnthorn27
Apparently I wasn't clear enough
  • Upvote 1

The question is really this: What will a school's policy on quarantine after a positive case? 

If the policy is that everyone in that class/team/ensemble (including teachers) must stay home for 14 days, there won't be anything going on.  With that policy, schools will be at 50% attendance by mid-September.  Once those policies start getting released, everything will be understood.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mulandarnthorn27 said:

Opening up too early and easing restrictions is the reason why these states are seeing cases skyrocket. If we follow in their footsteps, then we will see the same results. 

Also, there are not magical barriers between the states to stop the spread of disease. The US is one land. Saying we can do things because COVID isn't as rampant within one imaginary border as it is within a different imaginary border is exactly the mistake that Texas, Florida, and Arizona made. 

No, the mistake that Texas, Florida, and Arizona made was not taking action quicker and returning to normal too damn quick, but sure, we'll go with that.

Edited by Ben Dover
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, JuliusKorngold said:

The question is really this: What will a school's policy on quarantine after a positive case? 

If the policy is that everyone in that class/team/ensemble (including teachers) must stay home for 14 days, there won't be anything going on.  With that policy, schools will be at 50% attendance by mid-September.  Once those policies start getting released, everything will be understood.

Let me give some perspective from someone living in another country. I live overseas, and the country I'm in is able to function somewhat normally now. We have been able to go to work and go around cities, with masks, for a few months now. Schools reopened last month. If someone in a school or a company has two or more symptoms, everyone stays home for the day while test results occur. If it's negative, back to normal the following day. Positive, then you are at home for two weeks. You get your temperature scanned before entering your office or school each morning, and we have an app that shows based on your GPS history that you've not been to any cities that are hot spots that is color-coded - you must show a green code representing that you've been in only "safe" cities for at least 14 days. We show that code a lot, even for entering malls and some restaurants. 

But at least we're able to safely enter malls and restaurants and have peace when sending kids to school. Restrictions have eased up slowly and in my city of 25 million we now very rarely even have cases. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Unknown said:

Let me give some perspective from someone living in another country. I live overseas, and the country I'm in is able to function somewhat normally now. We have been able to go to work and go around cities, with masks, for a few months now. Schools reopened last month. If someone in a school or a company has two or more symptoms, everyone stays home for the day while test results occur. If it's negative, back to normal the following day. Positive, then you are at home for two weeks. You get your temperature scanned before entering your office or school each morning, and we have an app that shows based on your GPS history that you've not been to any cities that are hot spots that is color-coded - you must show a green code representing that you've been in only "safe" cities for at least 14 days. We show that code a lot, even for entering malls and some restaurants. 

But at least we're able to safely enter malls and restaurants and have peace when sending kids to school. Restrictions have eased up slowly and in my city of 25 million we now very rarely even have cases. 

Inb4 someone says your opinion is invalid because you don’t live in America

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, trombobble said:

Inb4 someone says your opinion is invalid because you don’t live in America

Pretty sure no forum member would say that, at least I hope they wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Pretty sure no forum member would say that, at least I hope they wouldn't.

Agreed, really think most wouldn't do this. 

Plus, all of my family is still there in KY so I'm keeping up with how it's going as well as I can. I just want to see the US get back to at least the point that we are here in my current country, and the US is a long ways away from taking the steps needed to do that. Marching band will put so many kids and their families at risk. A long and strong concert season can lead to an amazing, and safe, 2021 marching season. If things are calmer in the winter, maybe we can see more winter groups pop up. 

1 minute ago, Unknown said:

Agreed, really think most wouldn't do this. 

Plus, all of my family is still there in KY so I'm keeping up with how it's going as well as I can. I just want to see the US get back to at least the point that we are here in my current country, and the US is a long ways away from taking the steps needed to do that. Marching band will put so many kids and their families at risk. A long and strong concert season can lead to an amazing, and safe, 2021 marching season. If things are calmer in the winter, maybe we can see more winter groups pop up. 

The way I look at it is concert band will be much more volatile. Enclosed space, closer distance between each student, etc. I would be more worried about school itself than marching band. Lol.

10 minutes ago, AMAC said:

Here is your domino

Please keep in mind this is in a  state where on average there about 6,000 cases per day right now.  We are at 350 per day over the last week. 

Edited by The Boxer
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Unknown said:

Your opinion is invalid because you don't live in America.  

Kidding, of course.  The only real issue I would have with the policies and procedures you describe is the (apparently mandatory) tracking of GPS history.  If that's government-mandated (not clear on that from your post), that gives me pause.  Obviously it probably helps from a health perspective.  But that's a difficult trade-off to make, giving that much surveillance power to the state (even knowing how much they already have now).  China has evidently done a great job controlling the virus (after the initial outbreak), but the measures they took to do so, while effective, would be very difficult to get comfortable with here (forcing people to quarantine outside their homes, nailing others shut into their homes, etc.).  But...it's a trade-off.  

Edited by KMEA Commenter

4 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Kidding, of course.  The only real issue I would have with the policies and procedures you describe is the (apparently mandatory) tracking of GPS history.  If that's government-mandated (not clear on that from your post), that gives me pause.  Obviously it probably helps from a health perspective.  But that's a difficult trade-off to make, giving that much surveillance power to the state (even knowing how much they already have now).  China has evidently done a great job controlling the virus (after the initial outbreak), but the measures they took to do so, while effective, would be very difficult to get comfortable with here (forcing people to quarantine outside their homes, nailing others shut into their homes, etc.).  But...it's a trade-off.  

Because the Government doesn't work with Apple and Google already to obtain the GPS locations from our phones. 

They do. 

18 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

According to the Eagles, every form of refuge has it's price.

19 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

So essentially, KHSAA will continue this fall.

No decision on football for another 2 weeks according to a sportswriter I know. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

So essentially, KHSAA will continue this fall.

Not necessarily. If cases keep going up schools will have to move start dates later and possibly go online. You can’t justify having in person sports/activities  if school is online. The governor will also put a halt to activities if this upward trend continues or if his mask order gets knocked down by the courts. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, theblowtorch said:

Not necessarily. If cases keep going up schools will have to move start dates later and possibly go online. You can’t justify having in person sports/activities  if school is online. The governor will also put a halt to activities if this upward trend continues or if his mask order gets knocked down by the courts. 

The Kenton County Board has just approved Dixie Heights to begin Rookie Camp on July 14th! The rest of Band Camp is yet to be approved. (Depending the safety/health plans they submitted) 

1 minute ago, WGIFAN said:

The Kenton County Board has just approved Dixie Heights to begin Rookie Camp on July 14th! The rest of Band Camp is yet to be approved. (Depending the safety/health plans they submitted) 

This is good news. So far I've seen several bands already starting up. Keep up the social distancing and wear your masks, kids! Don't give them a reason to take your season away!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2