Jump to content
Kentucky Marching Network

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

This is good news. So far I've seen several bands already starting up. Keep up the social distancing and wear your masks, kids! Don't give them a reason to take your season away!

It amuses me that folks consider keeping people safe as "taking your season away". There may not be another person on this board that cares more about the marching arts than me. That said, I will gladly sacrifice the 2020 season to keep humans safe.

 

The #1 priority should be getting students back in buildings for education. If learning is being done remotely, there is no band period...indoors or outdoors. I would much rather focus on getting kids safely in class than learning the opening set of the 2020 marching band show. Can both things be done safely? That's the big question...and right now I have not seen an answer that I'm comfortable with.

 

Z

Loves marching band, but loves my health more.

Edited by MikeZ
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

It amuses me that folks consider keeping people safe as "taking your season away". There may not be another person on this board that cares more about the marching arts than me. That said, I will gladly sacrifice the 2020 season to keep humans safe.

 

The #1 priority should be getting students back in buildings for education. If learning is being done remotely, there is no band period...indoors or outdoors. I would much rather focus on getting kids safely in class than learning the opening set of the 2020 marching band show. Can both things be done safely? That's the big question...and right now I have not seen an answer that I'm comfortable with.

 

Z

Loves marching band, but loves my health more.

 

**Sends out the Ben Dover Signal**

(You don't want to know what that signal looks like.)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

It amuses me that folks consider keeping people safe as "taking your season away". There may not be another person on this board that cares more about the marching arts than me. That said, I will gladly sacrifice the 2020 season to keep humans safe.

 

The #1 priority should be getting students back in buildings for education. If learning is being done remotely, there is no band period...indoors or outdoors. I would much rather focus on getting kids safely in class than learning the opening set of the 2020 marching band show. Can both things be done safely? That's the big question...and right now I have not seen an answer that I'm comfortable with.

 

Z

Loves marching band, but loves my health more.

Oh look, he crawled out of his hole to comment on another one of my posts. I must REALLY trigger you. 😂

  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

 

**Sends out the Ben Dover Signal**

(You don't want to know what that signal looks like.)

Nobody wants to know. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard of this happening across the state, school districts are mandating that bands follow KHSAA guidelines and limit rehearsal time. No band camps for some schools. I assume this runs through Aug 3rd

20200710_185805.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AMAC said:

I've heard of this happening across the state, school districts are mandating that bands follow KHSAA guidelines and limit rehearsal time. No band camps for some schools. I assume this runs through Aug 3rd

20200710_185805.jpg

I know my band is doing limited time for the first week but after that, the next two weeks will be the normal

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, theblowtorch said:

West Virginia issued guidance today that prohibits band camps. 

Looks like WV bands can still rehearse, just a bit differently. March On!

Edited by therightstuff
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ben Dover said:

Bands that have been cleared to have a season...

- Barren County

- Christian County

- Grayson County

- Green County

- Hopkinsville

 

Bands that are taking a year off due to Covid-19...

- Mayfield

- Owensboro

- Eastern

- Bourbon

- Murray

 

I will update this list as bands announce.

Murray has been added to the list. Zeiss sent out a message to the parents and kids this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Murray has been added to the list. Zeiss sent out a message to the parents and kids this morning. 

Will there still be a competing season if a large number of bands drop out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BandKid004 said:

Will there still be a competing season if a large number of bands drop out? 

Nope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BandKid004 said:

Will there still be a competing season if a large number of bands drop out? 

Maybe not KMEA, but as long as the BOA regionals continue on (because that's plan B if nationals falls through) and MSBA will still be an option as long as both circuits continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone hear how the meeting went today? Curious to find out how we are proceeding for the Fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, bdit said:

Anyone hear how the meeting went today? Curious to find out how we are proceeding for the Fall.

I was wondering the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bdit said:

Anyone hear how the meeting went today? Curious to find out how we are proceeding for the Fall.

A few bands sent out info today cutting their practice schedules for next week either completely or down to just a couple days. I assume kmea is mirroring khsaa from yesterday in some ways possibly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bandgeeks1 said:

A few bands sent out info today cutting their practice schedules for next week either completely or down to just a couple days. I assume kmea is mirroring khsaa from yesterday in some ways possibly. 

No word on this, officially. It’s up to the districts.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, therightstuff said:

No word on this, officially. It’s up to the districts.

Yup, up to the district. Dixie has camp starting next Thursday. 5-9pm every night for a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KMEA is meeting on the 15th, and will be releasing more information on guidance after that meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

KMEA is meeting on the 15th, and will be releasing more information on guidance after that meeting.

My newest information is that we will be receiving a poll to proceed w state championships or cancel it for this year. Has no bearing on the regular season is what I’ve been told. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bdit said:

My newest information is that we will be receiving a poll to proceed w state championships or cancel it for this year. Has no bearing on the regular season is what I’ve been told. 

I was also just informed that MSBA has cancelled, but hasn't went public officially. We should expect something sometime next week. We should see the bands who compete only in MSBA possibly return to KMEA to give their kids a season, which I believe will help alleviate some of the pain from having bands cancel their seasons.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to point out that Bourbon County did not choose to cancel their season, the school district decided it. Micheal Stone confirmed it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BandKid004 said:

I would like to point out that Bourbon County did not choose to cancel their season, the school district decided it. Micheal Stone confirmed it.

I've heard otherwise from people who talk to their staff almost daily, but okay. 

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I've heard otherwise from people who talk to their staff almost daily, but okay. 

Micheal Stone confirmed it in the Committee Video today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I was also just informed that MSBA has cancelled, but hasn't went public officially. We should expect something sometime next week. We should see the bands who compete only in MSBA possibly return to KMEA to give their kids a season, which I believe will help alleviate some of the pain from having bands cancel their seasons.

I would hold off on making any rumors public. Decisions are changing daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×