Kentucky Marching Network

The KMEA Marching Band Committee held a meeting today to discuss their new guidelines for having a season due to Covid-19. Does anyone have any news on this? I know that there are three scenarios, but from my understanding we are currently facing scenario one, which includes 3 phases and schools returning to in-class school for the next school year. Just wondering what the guidelines for the season are.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

The KMEA Marching Band Committee held a meeting today to discuss their new guidelines for having a season due to Covid-19. Does anyone have any news on this? I know that there are three scenarios, but from my understanding we are currently facing scenario one, which includes 3 phases and schools returning to in-class school for the next school year. Just wondering what the guidelines for the season are.

*sound of my voice reverberating into a lonely, echoey, cave, waiting for help*
Hello? Anyone?

No but for real the lack of info scares me 😬 If it’s cancelled then it is what it is but the anticipation is gonna kill me haha

1 hour ago, trombobble said:

*sound of my voice reverberating into a lonely, echoey, cave, waiting for help*
Hello? Anyone?

No but for real the lack of info scares me 😬 If it’s cancelled then it is what it is but the anticipation is gonna kill me haha

Oh it's not cancelled, as a couple of bands have come out to announce the start of their season per the KMEA, KHSAA, and state guidelines. Christian County being one of them.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

I'm sure the new regulations will be reasonable and not impact their ability to practice and perform at all.

hazmat_5847100462392810.jpg

From my understanding during June groups will be able to meet with 10 people and staff at a time, and then July camps will be able to go about as usual, but with masks worn off the field and no more than 10 people to a group at a time off the field with proper distance between them. I know of one district that during transportation to competition the kids will be able to ride the bus as normal, but will have to wear masks.

Edited to add: I still don't have all the information though. It's trickling in at a drip.

Edited by Ben Dover

KMEA guidance parallels the public health documents (same for KHSAA).

Phase 1 starts June 15. Groups can practice with 10 or less participants at a time. Sports teams can do physical conditioning only. Any practice schedules/plans must be approved by the local board of education and  health department. 

Right now no phases of the guidance allows for football teams to practice with contact or equipment. I don’t think football season will start on time. 

kHSAA is not allowing school vs school competition at this time and will develop that timeline later. Currently transportation is challenging and schools can’t have crowds (can’t pay officials without gate revenue). 

Edited by theblowtorch
  • Confused 1

I have no inside information, but I would imagine things will mimic KHSAA. Blowtorch shared some of the guidelines they are adopting, and I have seen others as I have a daughter that is involved in athletics. I think things are going to be challenging, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that some type of scaled back season can happen. As it stands right now, I'm just waiting for a phone call telling me to show up for basics.

Z

This is the longest I have gone in 30 years without being inside or in front of a basics block.

I have heard that group size is limited to 10 as well. Also heard they have to remain 10 feet apart when playing and no sports or band activities will be allowed indoors until restrictions ease. 

According to word of mouth, "it is recommended that drill be kept at 3 step intervals, or 5.75 feet apart". Good luck Madison Central. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

According to word of mouth, "it is recommended that drill be kept at 3 step intervals, or 5.75 feet apart". Good luck Madison Central. 

At 6-feet of distance, they'd need a line about 1/3 of a mile long just walking to the field. 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

At 6-feet of distance, they'd need a line about 1/3 of a mile long just walking to the field. 🤔

Split them into 2 competing bands . Varsity and JV 😁

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bandgeeks1 said:

Split them into 2 competing bands . Varsity and JV 😁

I'm honestly down for that. Freshmen JV and Varsity. So down, but is it allowed for a school to have 2 bands? I've never heard of a rule stating that particularly, but never know. There isn't a rule against counties combining forces, but KMEA said no before.

• Upvote 1

Lassiter has had 2 bands make a BOA regional final before. I don’t know about KMEA, but both Avon and Broken Arrow have competitive and non competitive marching bands.

Z

More likely to see no marching bands than 1 school with 2 marching bands in 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

Lassiter has had 2 bands make a BOA regional final before. I don’t know about KMEA, but both Avon and Broken Arrow have competitive and non competitive marching bands.

Z

More likely to see no marching bands than 1 school with 2 marching bands in 2020.

I just wondered if it was possible. I remember hearing about the fiasco with the Christian County Outdoor Performance Ensemble or whatever it was called. I think it's BS, but I'm not the governing body...

6 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

I just wondered if it was possible. I remember hearing about the fiasco with the Christian County Outdoor Performance Ensemble or whatever it was called. I think it's BS, but I'm not the governing body...

CoHop was what it was called, that year they just combined the Christian County and Hopkinsville bands as one unit. KMEA didn't allow them to participate in SMBC, but I think if they had chose to do it, BOA would have allowed it, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Edited by Chase

Not looking promising for a Fall season. Lack of funding and being able to practice in a safe and healthy environment is the Hot Topics currently on the discussion table. Lack of participation is also a big concern. 

1 hour ago, WGIFAN said:

Not looking promising for a Fall season. Lack of funding and being able to practice in a safe and healthy environment is the Hot Topics currently on the discussion table. Lack of participation is also a big concern. 

Lack of funding isn't the problem, as programs will receive around their normal amount from their BOEs, it's lack of fundraising that is the issue. We just may see a return to the basics for a lot of programs. 

A safe and healthy environment is exactly what these guidelines are trying to create, no worries there with temperature checks, masks, etc.

Lack of participation might be the bigger issue here, but who knows. I know my affiliation will be bigger this year. 

2 hours ago, Chase said:

CoHop was what it was called, that year they just combined the Christian County and Hopkinsville bands as one unit. KMEA didn't allow them to participate in SMBC, but I think if they had chose to do it, BOA would have allowed it, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Exactly. KMEA didn't allow them to comoete in SMBC, even though there's no rule against it. Makes no sense what-so-ever. BOA would have let them, because lord knows there's enough townships. Lol.

18 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Exactly. KMEA didn't allow them to comoete in SMBC, even though there's no rule against it. Makes no sense what-so-ever. BOA would have let them, because lord knows there's enough townships. Lol.

My opinion on it, if it's the same school district there shouldn't be an issue with combining if directors want to. I wouldn't let different school districts combine though. Like Barren County couldn't combine with Glasgow, Bowling Green couldn't combine with Warren County schools, CAL couldn't combine with Jefferson County schools, and so on. But, if it's the same district, it should be ok, like East and West Jessamine, or North and South Laurel, or even combining Warren Central, Warren East, South Warren, and Greenwood. At least if I was going to be the one to make actual rules on it, that would be what I would do. 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Chase said:

My opinion on it, if it's the same school district there shouldn't be an issue with combining if directors want to. I wouldn't let different school districts combine though. Like Barren County couldn't combine with Glasgow, Bowling Green couldn't combine with Warren County schools, CAL couldn't combine with Jefferson County schools, and so on. But, if it's the same district, it should be ok, like East and West Jessamine, or North and South Laurel, or even combining Warren Central, Warren East, South Warren, and Greenwood. At least if I was going to be the one to make actual rules on it, that would be what I would do. 🤷‍♂️

You would certainly have the potential to create some beasts combining everyone in some districts. I'm not sure that's what I would choose, but it would be interesting. 

Besides the ones you mentioned, think about a combined NH, CH, JH. You're probably in the 350 range there. Then look at Fayette County: Lafayette, HC, Tates Creek, PLD, Bryan Station, Frederick Douglas.

Biggest obstacle = director egos. Someone ultimately has to be "The Man/Woman" in charge of the rest. Most directors aren't wired to be second fiddle for very long. That's not arguing whether that's a good trait or not... That's just an observation. 

1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

Lack of funding isn't the problem, as programs will receive around their normal amount from their BOEs, it's lack of fundraising that is the issue. We just may see a return to the basics for a lot of programs

🤔 I wonder if that might just be the right decision: back to basics. A year with no props, no electronics. Just marching and music. It would certainly reduce funding issues and even the potential coronavirus 'lock down' of a band in the middle of the season - less stuff being handled by numerous people. 

2 hours ago, Chase said:

I do believe this is the actual rule in BOA. You can combine within your district but not outside of it. 
schools that compete on the national stage in this way are:

O’Fallon 
PCEP (I think)

Lawrence township 

pretty much anyone with ‘township’ in the name does it. 

I’m not sure if Hopkinsville is a part of the Christian county school district or if it’s like a campbellsville situation but KMEA has a lot more restricting rules than BOA and surrounding state circuits do. 

Edited by Saxophone2494

4 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I do believe this is the actual rule in BOA. You can combine within your district but not outside of it. 
schools that compete on the national stage in this way are:

O’Fallon 
PCEP (I think)

Lawrence township 

pretty much anyone with ‘township’ in the name does it. 

I’m not sure if Hopkinsville is a part of the Christian county school district or if it’s like a campbellsville situation but KMEA has a lot more restricting rules than BOA and surrounding state circuits do. 

Hopkinsville is a part of the Christian County School District.

4 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Lack of funding isn't the problem, as programs will receive around their normal amount from their BOEs

Many, many programs in this state don't get any type of funding from their BOE. Then they have to pay for transportation, etc, on top of other costs. I do agree with you on the fundraising part. You aren't going to be able to go out and get sponsorships, etc, like you once could. And it's a shame some bands need a pandemic to force them to "get back to basics."

I also wonder if a director chooses not to compete, if he/she will have to forfeit that part of their stipend? I can see a superintendent saying, "if you're not going to be competing on Saturdays during the Fall, then we'll just save that money." Yes, I know much more goes into it. But I also know how some administrators can be. Just a thought. 

17 minutes ago, bdit said:

I also wonder if a director chooses not to compete, if he/she will have to forfeit that part of their stipend? I can see a superintendent saying, "if you're not going to be competing on Saturdays during the Fall, then we'll just save that money." Yes, I know much more goes into it. But I also know how some administrators can be. Just a thought. 

That is a good question. 

I interviewed for job 10 years ago that had a non-competitive band and was paying the stipend to do so. They stressed wanting to enter the competitive arena and never did. 

I have heard about some stipends that won't be paid this year. 

Some of the larger programs might be hurt the most due to all of the staff they hire every year. You also might see an assistant director job go away for the time being. 

Just a thought.. Sports have been cleared to play. If football and basketball both get cancelled, you'll see a domino effect when it comes to funding other activities.