Kentucky Marching Network
Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeBandMan

The show must go on...

The governor and public health  will likely step in and say no. The KHSAA  punted to the governor’s office. 

• Upvote 2

I know some groups that started marching band have packed it up for the year. Madison Central, for example, ended marching band on Friday. 

3 hours ago, theblowtorch said:

I know some groups that started marching band have packed it up for the year. Madison Central, for example, ended marching band on Friday. 

Was just a matter of time.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:19 AM, theblowtorch said:

The governor and public health  will likely step in and say no. 

I think there's a better-than-average chance you're correct. Pandering to scary headlines is more valuable to some administrations than looking at the actual numbers:

"The Kentucky Football Coaches Association put out a graphic last week regarding COVID response and mitigation data.

Of 190 schools reporting with 10,962 football players in the programs, 96 tested positive (0.875 percent) and none were traced back to football workouts. There were 1,760 staff and support staff tested and 17 were positive (0.965 percent) and nine were traced back to football workouts.

The combined numbers are 12,722 players and staff, 113 positive tests (0.888 percent)...

What more do you want?"

https://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/athletics-governor-please-listen-to-your-constituents/article_0467029e-04d3-5930-8b8d-98295eb141a2.html

If you're willing to shut down when less than 1% test positive in a cohort, and where those few who did test positive have only a slightly smaller risk of dying by lightning than adverse COVID outcomes, you probably don't need to be in a position making policy decisions.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, LongTimeBandMan said:

I think there's a better-than-average chance you're correct. Pandering to scary headlines is more valuable to some administrations than looking at the actual numbers:

"The Kentucky Football Coaches Association put out a graphic last week regarding COVID response and mitigation data.

Of 190 schools reporting with 10,962 football players in the programs, 96 tested positive (0.875 percent) and none were traced back to football workouts. There were 1,760 staff and support staff tested and 17 were positive (0.965 percent) and nine were traced back to football workouts.

The combined numbers are 12,722 players and staff, 113 positive tests (0.888 percent)...

What more do you want?"

https://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/athletics-governor-please-listen-to-your-constituents/article_0467029e-04d3-5930-8b8d-98295eb141a2.html

If you're willing to shut down when less than 1% test positive in a cohort, and where those few who did test positive have only a slightly smaller risk of dying by lightning than adverse COVID outcomes, you probably don't need to be in a position making policy decisions.

Posts like these make me miss what we usually talk about. Instead of breaking down opening weekend lineups and reviewing preview shows, we get this.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

Posts like these make me miss what we usually talk about. Instead of breaking down opening weekend lineups and reviewing preview shows, we get this.

I thought you of all people would appreciate that post :D

On 8/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, Brass33 said:

Was just a matter of time.

As of today, 3 Indiana bands will be hosting competitions/evaluations this year. (Next month ) Avon, Brownsburg and Noblesville. Indiana is obviously on a different COVID plan than KY. Lol 

On 8/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, WGIFAN said:

As of today, 3 Indiana bands will be hosting competitions/evaluations this year. (Next month ) Avon, Brownsburg and Noblesville. Indiana is obviously on a different COVID plan than KY. Lol 

I know there's a few more contests sprinkled in and around the state. I also see where KY is still playing football......and cross-country..........and golf............and volleyball...............because KHSAA has a plan (and I understand the financial part). Sure would be nice to be having band............and not being expected to just have a "pep" band. Such a disservice to our students.

Edited by bdit

5 hours ago, bdit said:

I know there's a few more contests sprinkled in and around the state. I also see where KY is still playing football......and cross-country..........and golf............and volleyball...............because KHSAA has a plan (and I understand the financial part). Sure would be nice to be having band............and not being expected to just have a "pep" band. Such a disservice to our students.

Unbelievable that the KHSAA is proceeding with fall sports and yet there will be no band.

2 hours ago, DoctorProctor said:

Unbelievable that the KHSAA is proceeding with fall sports and yet there will be no band.

Who said there’s no band? Competitive marching band is only a spoke on the band wheel. The membership of the Kentucky Music Educators Association made the correct decision along with almost every circuit in the country. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 5

9 hours ago, theblowtorch said:

Who said there’s no band? Competitive marching band is only a spoke on the band wheel. The membership of the Kentucky Music Educators Association made the correct decision along with almost every circuit in the country. 

Plus KY bands can still host competitions if they want to. But highly unlikely. 

10 hours ago, theblowtorch said:

Not the "correct" decision..................the "easy" decision.....................

Kind of funny how the best bands in the nation (IN and TX) are still having camps and providing their students with the best experience possible.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

We’re in a pandemic. Accept that fact and get. over. it.

KHSAA shouldn’t be running sports seasons. The fact they are doesn’t mean KMEA made a bad choice or that directors not willing to pump resources into making a modern marching show that requires custom arrangements, drill, costuming, props, flags, etc. are doing a disservice to their students.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, bdit said:

Not the "correct" decision..................the "easy" decision.....................

Kind of funny how the best bands in the nation (IN and TX) are still having camps and providing their students with the best experience possible.

I understand you are not happy. Each location is different. I live in Nashville. The number of active cases is dropping by the day. 

However, most of the decisions were made during the worst times of this pandemic. 

If anything, it takes more hours to put together a show than it does field a football team or anything else. If you were putting on the same show every year, we would not be having this discussion. Football teams run basically the same types of plays. Unless you are going from spread option to more of a wing-based offense, there is no real change--just make sure you can have a great relationship between the qb and the skilled position players. You can do that with having basic 7-on-7 drills. 

Band is a completely different animal. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

I just don’t understand how there can be band camps but yet kids can’t go to school in person until later this month. Lol

On 9/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, WGIFAN said:

Plus KY bands can still host competitions if they want to. But highly unlikely. 

I know of 5 schools still hosting, and I'm sure there are more or will be more come October from what I've heard.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, trombobble said:

We’re in a pandemic. Accept that fact and get. over. it.

KHSAA shouldn’t be running sports seasons. The fact they are doesn’t mean KMEA made a bad choice or that directors not willing to pump resources into making a modern marching show that requires custom arrangements, drill, costuming, props, flags, etc. are doing a disservice to their students.

Because it doesn't take money to have football attire, 10 to 15 coaches, health officials on staff, the cost of travel, the cost of electricity for the stadium at each home game, etc. That just doesn't cost a thing.

23 hours ago, The Stig said:

I understand you are not happy. Each location is different. I live in Nashville. The number of active cases is dropping by the day. 

However, most of the decisions were made during the worst times of this pandemic. 

If anything, it takes more hours to put together a show than it does field a football team or anything else. If you were putting on the same show every year, we would not be having this discussion. Football teams run basically the same types of plays. Unless you are going from spread option to more of a wing-based offense, there is no real change--just make sure you can have a great relationship between the qb and the skilled position players. You can do that with having basic 7-on-7 drills. 

Exactly. Decisions were made too early on, and Stroube and Boulden even said that during the meeting, but they directors on the board (most of which had already cancelled their season) went on and decided to vote anyways.

18 hours ago, WGIFAN said:

I just don’t understand how there can be band camps but yet kids can’t go to school in person until later this month. Lol

I don't understand how there can still be contact sports but no marching band. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Covid World is a strange place. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

I know of 5 schools still hosting, and I'm sure there are more or will be more come October from what I've heard.

Because it doesn't take money to have football attire, 10 to 15 coaches, health officials on staff, the cost of travel, the cost of electricity for the stadium at each home game, etc. That just doesn't cost a thing.

Exactly. Decisions were made too early on, and Stroube and Boulden even said that during the meeting, but they directors on the board (most of which had already cancelled their season) went on and decided to vote anyways.

I don't understand how there can still be contact sports but no marching band. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Covid World is a strange place. 

There is still marching bands going on. Just no competitions.  

6 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Not the point I was making at all, but okay.

• Upvote 2

On 9/4/2020 at 12:10 PM, The Stig said:

This is exactly right!!!

• Upvote 2

Mason (OH) is still hosting a competition on October 10th and Beechwood is planning to host a showcase of bands on October 17th.  

• Upvote 2