Kentucky Marching Network

Could very well happen, as both high schools are old and in need of replacement. Makes sense from a financial aspect. I’ve heard the same thing about Danville and Boyle, although those are 2 separate districts with separate boards. 

It worked well for Muhlenberg (band-wise) the first few years, but they have fallen off the face of the earth lately. They do have nice facilities, which Christian and Hop are sorely lacking.

45 minutes ago, bdit said:

Could very well happen, as both high schools are old and in need of replacement. Makes sense from a financial aspect. I’ve heard the same thing about Danville and Boyle, although those are 2 separate districts with separate boards. 

It worked well for Muhlenberg (band-wise) the first few years, but they have fallen off the face of the earth lately. They do have nice facilities, which Christian and Hop are sorely lacking.

Yep. The only nice facility in the district is Christian County Middle School which was built about 10-12 years ago. They actually have an auditorium, but as you might expect, it was executed poorly. (No good stage access from within the school, no fly space, no pit, very little space in the wings.)

Hopkinsville high is very old and has been the subject of local public mockery for water leaking into the building, ceiling tiles molding, etc. CCHS was built in the early 70s and is likewise likely reaching the end of its usefulness.   

It would be a very large school if they housed it all on one campus.  The schools have shared a football stadium for a few decades and it shows that with the combined funding of the district, they are able to manage one of the nicest facilities of a high school in the state.  Better than some of the smaller colleges.

Good luck to them.  I just hope it doesn't mean anyone losing jobs over "redundancy".

1 hour ago, tbone06 said:

It would be a very large school if they housed it all on one campus.  The schools have shared a football stadium for a few decades and it shows that with the combined funding of the district, they are able to manage one of the nicest facilities of a high school in the state.  Better than some of the smaller colleges.

Good luck to them.  I just hope it doesn't mean anyone losing jobs over "redundancy".

It would be easily one of the largest schools in Kentucky. From what I gathered, you would see an enrollment of around 2300.  I think with that many students, more programs could be available to the students. 

I remember going through Muhlenberg when the merger was already set but not complete. Some in the community were not too happy. So far it has worked out. Redundancy did cause a really good band director to leave. Muhlenberg count be opening up in the next few years. Mr. Stovall has been there since 1995. 

Both directors at Hopkinsville and Christian County are both young. Co-Hop might be a really good product. 

Co-Hop just sucks.  It sounds like co-op.  So instead of a high school you go to school at a hippie grocery store?  Hard pass. 

Chris-Hop sucks too, but at least it makes a modicum of sense.  (Every county has county in the name, but not every county has "Chris" in the name.)

Christ-Hop I could get behind.  People would be getting pissed for so many different, hilarious reasons, yet the name would still make technical sense.

I would advise against naming after a person in our current social climate.  Nearly 100% chance they get cancelled unless they name the school after Martin Luther King, Jr., Harriet Tubman, or Tom Hanks.  Hell, even Hanks might get cancelled at some point. 

Perhaps "Hypothetical Perfect Person High School"?  

• Haha 1

I would think you would almost have to call is Christian Co or maybe Christian Central.

On a side note, how/why in the world did both schools have to combine bands with the size each school was/is? Then add in the recent success of both bands. Makes no sense, at least to me. And it’s allowed in BOA as long as you are the same district, but that’s a whole other story.

1 hour ago, bdit said:

I would think you would almost have to call is Christian Co or maybe Christian Central.

On a side note, how/why in the world did both schools have to combine bands with the size each school was/is? Then add in the recent success of both bands. Makes no sense, at least to me. And it’s allowed in BOA as long as you are the same district, but that’s a whole other story.

Because both programs at that time didn't have the numbers that they currently do. Honestly KMEA should allow it too. If BOA and ISSMA allow it, I don't see the issue as to why KMEA wouldn't allow it either as long as they're governed by the same school board. It would be different if it were programs like Grant County and Williamstown trying to do it with one being public and the other being independent. 

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Because both programs at that time didn't have the numbers that they currently do. Honestly KMEA should allow it too. If BOA and ISSMA allow it, I don't see the issue as to why KMEA wouldn't allow it either as long as they're governed by the same school board. It would be different if it were programs like Grant County and Williamstown trying to do it with one being public and the other being independent. 

I guess I was leaning more towards the “why” didn’t they have the numbers? 

Just now, bdit said:

I guess I was leaning more towards the “why” didn’t they have the numbers? 

Directors? They were both under different directors at that time. I don't remember there ever being a clear explanation as to why they merged. It was only for a single season. Honestly I'd still like to hear the reasons behind the decision. 

21 hours ago, bdit said:

Could also go to the Madisonville-North Hopkins route, and just call it Hopkinsville-Christian County High School.  

19 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Directors? They were both under different directors at that time. I don't remember there ever being a clear explanation as to why they merged. It was only for a single season. Honestly I'd still like to hear the reasons behind the decision. 

Yes, directors.  The quality of the programs were very different at that moment in time.  Neither group was going to be competitive in the KMEA regionals independently.  It was a gutsy move to give the kids a broader program to be a part of.  They did it for the kids.  I support it.

For what it's worth, I thought for the band that year, Co-Hop was the perfect name, because it was indeed a cooperative (Co-Hoperative?) endeavor.  Something that town of Hopkinsville needs.  But that's another topic.

3 hours ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Could also go to the Madisonville-North Hopkins route, and just call it Hopkinsville-Christian County High School.  

Or the Allen County-Scottsville route, which I think would make more sense in this situation. Christian County-Hopkinsville High School has a better ring to it in my opinion, and it helps my OCD with it being in Alphabetical order. 

The new school could be named after a notable person with ties to the county such as William Christian High School or Adlai  Stevenson High School. 

• Confused 1
On 6/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, theblowtorch said:

The new school could be named after a notable person with ties to the county such as William Christian High School or Adlai  Stevenson High School. 

Col. William Christian was born in 1743, was relatively successful in life, fought in a war involving Native Americans (not on the Native American side), and lived in a southern state (Virginia).  So I'm pretty sure he would get cancelled almost immediately if the school was named after him.

I'm pretty sure if you gave me 15 minutes I could find some reason Adlai Stevenson would get cancelled, since he was born in 1900.  

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, KMEA Commenter said:

Col. William Christian was born in 1743, was relatively successful in life, fought in a war involving Native Americans (not on the Native American side), and lived in a southern state (Virginia).  So I'm pretty sure he would get cancelled almost immediately if the school was named after him.

I'm pretty sure if you gave me 15 minutes I could find some reason Adlai Stevenson would get cancelled, since he was born in 1900.  

If we had a day to day recollection of every person who's ever lived, I'm sure we would all be cancelled at some point. Even the most PC person gets mad when they can't understand the customer service rep on the phone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

If we had a day to day recollection of every person who's ever lived, I'm sure we would all be cancelled at some point. Even the most PC person gets mad when they can't understand the customer service rep on the phone.

This is true.  Hence why if I were naming a school, no chance I would name it after a person.  Name it after whatever geographic feature was dug up or destroyed to build the new school, like people do with subdivisions.  

9 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Yeah, I mean every now and then I stub my toe and then destroy Overhill Cherokee villages or slaughter some Wabash Indian tribes. Just a big 'ol whoops on my part. We've all been there!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Unknown said:

Yeah, I mean every now and then I stub my toe and then destroy Overhill Cherokee villages or slaughter some Wabash Indian tribes. Just a big 'ol whoops on my part. We've all been there!

There's always that one person who takes everything to the extreme. You must be SO much fun to hang out with.

10 hours ago, KMEA Commenter said:

This is true.  Hence why if I were naming a school, no chance I would name it after a person.  Name it after whatever geographic feature was dug up or destroyed to build the new school, like people do with subdivisions.  

Or the geographical area that the new school is built, like what Scott County did with Great Crossing.

3 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

There's always that one person who takes everything to the extreme. You must be SO much fun to hang out with.

I mean, you did downplay his history in equating it to getting mad at customer service. If you view what I said as extreme, then you should look up his full history. 

9 hours ago, Unknown said:

I mean, you did downplay his history in equating it to getting mad at customer service. If you view what I said as extreme, then you should look up his full history. 

You're the only person who thought I was downplaying it. I never once was, but thank you for assuming rather than asking me. I was simply implying that with cancel culture that literally everyone can and would be cancelled because we have all been guilty of doing something that has gotten someone cancelled already. So please kindly take your condescending comments elsewhere, because they're unwarranted here. You decided to take it to the extreme when you applied the history of William Christian to yourself, which was ridiculous to do. Instead of acting that way, if you believed that someone was so uneducated as to not know who William Christian (or any person in history for that matter) was, I would honestly hope you would educate them rather than talk down to them or try to ridicule them. Full history.

56 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

You're the only person who thought I was downplaying it. I never once was, but thank you for assuming rather than asking me. I was simply implying that with cancel culture that literally everyone can and would be cancelled because we have all been guilty of doing something that has gotten someone cancelled already. So please kindly take your condescending comments elsewhere, because they're unwarranted here. You decided to take it to the extreme when you applied the history of William Christian to yourself, which was ridiculous to do. Instead of acting that way, if you believed that someone was so uneducated as to not know who William Christian (or any person in history for that matter) was, I would honestly hope you would educate them rather than talk down to them or try to ridicule them. Full history.

Please relax, you're taking this way more seriously than I meant it. People joke of how often "cancel culture" goes too far, and I sometimes agree. Your post was in relation to that, and I was just posting for others to see the reality of what he actually did and how it's not the same as the "mistakes" you and I make. I had no intention of educating you, that's not my job. It wasn't posted with as serious of a tone as you're taking it to be.

Also, just a fun thing I noticed. You talk of cancel culture and then literally in the next sentence tell take my comments elsewhere. 

Edited by Unknown