Kentucky Marching Network

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please link the MusicForAll website when posting BOA contest information. Same with KyBand and the Houston Chronicle. We want to give those sites traffic.

I clicked this 27 times.  I may do it again just for good measure.

Lord willing and the creek don't rise.  

Posted Images

Lafayette was on fire today. 

Manual had a good sound. You can tell they have kids with great musicianship. 

Anderson’s show will be a force to be reckoned with by October. 

Woodford had some good moments and were visually pleasing. 

We all know September Adair is not their final form, and while they were good, Estill were the ones that threw down the gauntlet. 

Missed a few of the smaller bands, unfortunately. 

Post script: They should rename the Bourbon County contest, the Contest of Champions. 

1 minute ago, ObjectiveObserver said:

Lafayette was on fire today. 

Manual had a good sound. You can tell they have kids with great musicianship. 

Anderson’s show will be a force to be reckoned with by October. 

Woodford had some good moments and were visually pleasing. 

We all know September Adair is not their final form, and while they were good, Estill were the ones that threw down the gauntlet. 

Missed a few of the smaller bands, unfortunately. 

Post script: They should rename the Bourbon County contest, the Contest of Champions. 

Do you have the prelims results? 

Really like the color of the flags! Honest question...at around the 5:15 mark what happens there? Im assuming the arrangement of the music there translates better in person but on the video it almost sounds like they fell apart. Like the music so far.  Good job kids!

It’s definitely a sign of the times on here when it’s the first weekend of the season, at a show that features Lafayette, Adair, Estill, Anderson Co., etc. and there hasn’t been any word about results/scores. 

I remember when threads like this one would be 7+ pages. 

11 minutes ago, Brass33 said:

It’s definitely a sign of the times on here when it’s the first weekend of the season, at a show that features Lafayette, Adair, Estill, Anderson Co., etc. and there hasn’t been any word about results/scores. 

Most of the discussion has moved to another location. 

9 hours ago, Brass33 said:

This one turned out how I pretty much expected it to. I'm just tickled we have been able to  have some comps so far. Idk about anyone else but this last year and a half has worn me out on arguing and butting heads in everyday life especially since i work in health care lol.  I've decided for this season I just want to enjoy some normalcy in my life and support all the groups bc lord knows they've been through enough. Next season though,  the gloves come off 😂

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Bandgeeks1 said:

Idk about anyone else but this last year and a half has worn me out on arguing and butting heads in everyday life especially since i work in health care lol.  I've decided for this season I just want to enjoy some normalcy in my life and support all the groups bc lord knows they've been through enough. Next season though,  the gloves come off 😂

I can’t say enough how much I feel this. The only time I feel remotely as impassioned about needing to say something is when I think something went over a line. Otherwise, I’m just happy for every program and kid to be playing and competing. Maybe it’s a good thing the boards are a little quieter rn lol

Edited by trombobble
I forgor
  • Upvote 2

Some reviews 

Nicholas- sounds really good for only 8 winds… this could be the smallest band in history to win a state title. 

Woodford- very pretty show. I love the props and the uniforms a great deal. Needs a lot of cleaning but they’re a solid band that could do some damage with the right momentum 

Adair- early season is never kind to them but I can see what they’re trying for and I love it. The drum break dance is SICK! The show has a very high ceiling however,  they have a lot of ground to cover but if there’s a band that can do it it’s them. 

South Laurel- I don’t think the title matches the show. When I hear “Dark Horse” I think dark show about vengeance… this felt more PLD 2014… but I like it a lot. They had the best use of props and some pretty cool drill. Not very clean but I could see this taking home the cup again. 

Anderson- Beautiful colors and amazing sound… I would’ve actually had them 2nd but it was close. The show is very pretty and musically very clean… they’re down quite a few numbers but they wear it well 

Estill- this show is a step in a better direction for sure. The props work really well and they sell the theme. Musically I thought Anderson was just slightly cleaner better. Visually pretty solid… I think this has a solid chance at taking home the national 1A title 

Lafayette- it’s good… it’s real good 

Bourbon- probably the front runner of their class right now. Visually it needs a lot of work. I don’t love the show it’s just not my thing… 

I had 0 service all day yesterday in Paris, which gave me more time to think about the competition. 

Initial thoughts: This was a stacked competition and any one of these bands could’ve swept at a competition by themselves. Each and every band improved from their first performance of the day - some bands looking like they had put in weeks of work in between shows (here’s looking at you, duPont Manual and South Laurel). That’s understandable though. A lot of these bands are having a rebuilding year and there haven’t been any consistent competitions in almost 2 years. You have sophomores who had their first performance yesterday, I am so glad that marching band is back.

Hot take: Estill should’ve won overall visual. They had prop changes/uniform improvement in between shows, one change being the addition of these haunting masks on the back of their heads. Really added to everything and made me uncomfortable, which was the point. Lafayette is Lafayette and of course did wonderfully, but I would’ve liked to see that category go to Estill. 

Anderson has a really good show but their energy dipped a bit between shows. They came out hot during prelims and I would like to see that consistently throughout the year. 

South Laurel’s show is confusing in comparison to their title, however they do well with it. I’m hoping to see more of an emphasis on the “dark” part of it later in the season.

Of all the 4A bands there yesterday, Bourbon County is leagues ahead. That being said, I do not understand their show concept. They went hard when performing but there’s a lot going on concept wise. I know that show will be phenomenal at the end. 

Congrats to all bands! Here’s hoping the season will continue smoothly.

Edited by justafan16
10 years of covid is not accurate
3 minutes ago, justafan16 said:

I had 0 service all day yesterday in Paris, which gave me more time to think about the competition. 

Initial thoughts: This was a stacked competition and any one of these bands could’ve swept at a competition by themselves. Each and every band improved from their first performance of the day - some bands looking like they had put in weeks of work in between shows (here’s looking at you, duPont Manual and South Laurel). That’s understandable though. A lot of these bands are having a rebuilding year and there haven’t been any consistent competitions in almost 10 years. You have sophomores who had their first performance yesterday, I am so glad that marching band is back.

Hot take: Estill should’ve won overall visual. They had prop changes/uniform improvement in between shows, one change being the addition of these haunting masks on the back of their heads. Really added to everything and made me uncomfortable, which was the point. Lafayette is Lafayette and of course did wonderfully, but I would’ve liked to see that category go to Estill. 

Anderson has a really good show but their energy dipped a bit between shows. They came out hot during prelims and I would like to see that consistently throughout the year. 

South Laurel’s show is confusing in comparison to their title, however they do well with it. I’m hoping to see more of an emphasis on the “dark” part of it later in the season.

Of all the 4A bands there yesterday, Bourbon County is leagues ahead. That being said, I do not understand their show concept. They went hard when performing but there’s a lot going on concept wise. I know that show will be phenomenal at the end. 

Congrats to all bands! Here’s hoping the season will continue smoothly.

I mean 2 years. 10 years of covid is a world I don’t want to think about. 

I was able to see most of finals yesterday! Here are my thoughts: 

Williamstown- I don’t see how they won’t make finals later this season! They had a lot of difficult visuals and an interesting design and set up. I think they will clean up nicely

Nicholas- They are extremely clean and the fact that they have like 8 winds and they all sound so good is very impressive. However, I don’t really see them winning at the end of the season like other people have said. They don’t have as much content. 

Woodford- They had a really interesting concept and it was visually very beautiful. Once they clean everything up it will do well. I just think difficulty will hold them back later on, a lot of people in there class are attempting harder things. 

Adair- They also had a very visually appealing show design. It’s not as ambitious as their shows usually are but that’s to be expected with circumstances. I’m not really sure what will happen late season… they could be in the bottom half of 3A finals or the top. It just depends on everyone else. 

South Laurel- Visually they were doing by far the hardest show there. The movement vocabulary was off the charts. I think they will clean up nicely and with more developments they might win again. I’m not a huge fan of the show but what they’re doing is admirable and difficult. 

Anderson- This show was really fun! I’m not sure what it was about at all but I loved the color scheme and uniforms! I think they were the cleanest yesterday but they aren’t doing as many challenging things as South Laurel and some other groups. 

Estill- This was so fun to watch. It was really good from start to finished and so polished, while also doing very challenging things. 

Lafayette- I don’t see how anyone will beat this, this year tbh. 

Bourbon- like others have said, I have no idea what this show was about and it might be my least favorite show from them in many years this is not an insult, it’s just not for me. That being said you can’t deny that the kids have such high energy and are performing the heck out of it. I think they’ll clear a lot of the design things up and they will obviously be a winner contender. 

Edited by boafan
4 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

South Laurel- I don’t think the title matches the show. When I hear “Dark Horse” I think dark show about vengeance… this felt more PLD 2014… but I like it a lot. They had the best use of props and some pretty cool drill. Not very clean but I could see this taking home the cup again. 

A dark horse is a previously less known person or thing that emerges to prominence in a situation, especially in a competition involving multiple rivals, or a contestant that on paper should be unlikely to succeed but yet still might.

I’m assuming this is what they are going for this season. 

10 minutes ago, theblowtorch said:

A dark horse is a previously less known person or thing that emerges to prominence in a situation, especially in a competition involving multiple rivals, or a contestant that on paper should be unlikely to succeed but yet still might.

I’m assuming this is what they are going for this season. 

I mean I see what they’re going for with the title I just kind of cognitively relate “Dark Horse” to a more darker in nature show… 

im not mad at the show at all and I do love it…

• Upvote 1

I was very impressed, but not surprised with how strong Estill County was at this show.  Adair is definitely off to a slow start.  It is a visually interesting show, but musically just doesn't seem to be what we normally see from Adair County.  I am sure that they will improve vastly as the season progresses, but it will be interesting to see how they finish in a very stacked AAA class.  I also really enjoyed Anderson County's show.  Lafayette was every bit as good as you would expect them to be.  

On 9/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, kybandfan1 said:

Adair is definitely off to a slow start.  It is a visually interesting show, but musically just doesn't seem to be what we normally see from Adair County.

Don't you mean "hear"?

Had to do it. 😆