Kentucky Marching Network

4 hours ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I think this class can flip and go any number of ways but after what I’ve seen yesterday I think it currently stands like this 

Bourbon

Anderson

Harrison 

South Laurel 

There should be 6 bands in finals for each class if I’m not mistaken

Harrison/Bourbon

Bourbon/Harrison

Anderson

South Laurel

No idea about the other two. I haven't seen any videos from the west yet. If I had my guess though, the Beasts from the East will remain supreme in the top 4, but South Laurel could slip and become a bubble band for finals.

If I had to guess, I would fill out those other two spots with Eastern and Hopkinsville. It would also be no surprise to see Madisonville-North Hopkins, Bullitt East, Tates Creek, or even Christian County make it. This class is going to have a clear top 3 or 4, and then there will be a log jam for positions 5 through 10 or so.

Edited by Tim
I initially listed Barren County as a contender, but they're not competing in SMBC.
1 hour ago, Tim said:

If I had to guess, I would fill out those other two spots with Eastern and Hopkinsville. It would also be no surprise to see Madisonville-North Hopkins, Bullitt East, Tates Creek, or even Christian County make it. This class is going to have a clear top 3 or 4, and then there will be a log jam for positions 5 through 10 or so.

Hopkinsville? I'd have Madisonville in before Hopkinsville based on 2019. Another director change wont bode well for Bullitt East either. Id say Eastern and Tates Creek could round out the other two spots. We shall see what the West had to offer this year, but even with 6 the Beasts from the East may still reign supreme.

• Upvote 1

You're probably right. I haven't been following KMEA as closely over the last couple of years. I forgot about the director changes at Hopkinsville, so I agree that Tates Creek would probably take their place.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Id say Eastern and Tates Creek could round out the other two spots. We shall see what the West had to offer this year, but even with 6 the Beasts from the East may still reign supreme.

How in the world 2 schools with over 1500 students each aren't in 5A is almost laughable....................yet another glaring issue with this class system. jmo

52 minutes ago, bdit said:

How in the world 2 schools with over 1500 students each aren't in 5A is almost laughable....................yet another glaring issue with this class system. jmo

The fact that no school outside of a 5A school size can move up to 5A but 5A can send down all their smaller bands is laughable to me. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I’m going ahead and making the bold prediction that Madisonville North Hopkins will not make finals in 2021 

I'd say there's about a 60/80ish percent chance that you're prediction is right. Haven't seen them yet this year, so I'll judge them after I do. Who knows. There's a lot of competition in 4A this year...

Edited by Ghetsis
Forgot words

Bourbon/Harrison

Harrison/Bourbon

Anderson

South Laurel

Madville

Hopkinsville

The Beasts of the East will remain in power and honestly it will just come down to who has the hotter performance and peaks at the right time. I think Harrison has the effect, Bourbon has the visual, and music can be split between any of the top four.

Madville and Hopville will round out the six.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Doug Polk Poker said:

Bourbon/Harrison

Harrison/Bourbon

Anderson

South Laurel

Madville

Hopkinsville

The Beasts of the East will remain in power and honestly it will just come down to who has the hotter performance and peaks at the right time. I think Harrison has the effect, Bourbon has the visual, and music can be split between any of the top four.

Madville and Hopville will round out the six.

This class is tough to predict because they are all so similar. As of now I see

bourbon/Harrison 1st/2nd swap 

it’s really early, so much can change

• Upvote 2
On 9/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, Ben Dover said:

The fact that no school outside of a 5A school size can move up to 5A but 5A can send down all their smaller bands is laughable to me. 

Totally agree.  I'm not a fan of the latest system changes.  I think there were too many politics at play behind the changes. 

3 hours ago, ANUBIS said:

Totally agree.  I'm not a fan of the latest system changes.  I think there were too many politics at play behind the changes. 

I completely agree. With the point system, if they want to do it right, 1A should be the smallest in terms of allotted points. 

1A - 2 points

2A - 3 to 4 points

3A - 5 to 6 points

4A - 7 to 8 points

5A - 9 to 10 points

We're constantly not wanying to punish the little bands, but in doing so the ones who orchestrated this mess are getting by free in 5A. Why KMEA doesn't realize this...wait...they do, but they only care about 5A.

Bands like Anderson, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Christian who all have been at the top of the size in 4A should have the oportunity to move up to 5A, instead of bands like Washington who are going to flip flop between 1A with bands their size and 2A.

7 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I completely agree. With the point system, if they want to do it right, 1A should be the smallest in terms of allotted points. 

1A - 2 points

2A - 3 to 4 points

3A - 5 to 6 points

4A - 7 to 8 points

5A - 9 to 10 points

We're constantly not wanying to punish the little bands, but in doing so the ones who orchestrated this mess are getting by free in 5A. Why KMEA doesn't realize this...wait...they do, but they only care about 5A.

Bands like Anderson, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Christian who all have been at the top of the size in 4A should have the oportunity to move up to 5A, instead of bands like Washington who are going to flip flop between 1A with bands their size and 2A.

I 100% agree, if you're name isn't Lafayette, Madison Central or North Hardin (pretty much any 5A band) then you don't matter in KMEA's eyes. If we're being really honest if you're in 2A or 1A you might as well get over the thought of being talked about or in the spotlight, it disgust me how people, cause, let's be honest, it's not just KMEA the band world people do not care about small bands (2A and 1A) they only care about the big band (3A-5A). Okay, that's all for my rant

1 minute ago, Bandgeek25 said:

I 100% agree, if you're name isn't Lafayette, Madison Central or North Hardin (pretty much any 5A band) then you don't matter in KMEA's eyes. If we're being really honest if you're in 2A or 1A you might as well get over the thought of being talked about or in the spotlight, it disgust me how people, cause, let's be honest, it's not just KMEA the band world people do not care about small bands (2A and 1A) they only care about the big band (3A-5A). Okay, that's all for my rant

I think the issue is less exposure to the smaller classes as well. Most folks dont show up until their class and then stay through the rest of the competition. This is why Im a big fan of going back to a finals class rotation every year. 

Just now, Ben Dover said:

I think the issue is less exposure to the smaller classes as well. Most folks dont show up until their class and then stay through the rest of the competition. This is why Im a big fan of going back to a finals class rotation every year. 

I agree, although I'm not sure what rotation you're talking about LOL, but yes, if you look during finals there isn't a crowd in the stadium like there is when 3A starts, although I feel like with six bands this year it could maybe have an impact on the audience size. I doubt it though.

4 minutes ago, Bandgeek25 said:

I agree, although I'm not sure what rotation you're talking about LOL, but yes, if you look during finals there isn't a crowd in the stadium like there is when 3A starts, although I feel like with six bands this year it could maybe have an impact on the audience size. I doubt it though.

Rotation as in what they did between 1996 and 2000. Say this...

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

2A

3A

4A

5A

1A

3A

4A

5A

1A

2A

Etc etc etc.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

Rotation as in what they did between 1996 and 2000. Say this...

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

2A

3A

4A

5A

1A

3A

4A

5A

1A

2A

Etc etc etc.

You know. That's actually a really good idea. I like it.

13 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Atleast 1A gets UK this year. Thats a start.

Ive said for years, 1A deserves the college, it makes more sense. Coming from a state finalist in class A, it makes more sense for us to be there instead of having to hurry and navigate traffic and such to get to the stadium on time.