Kentucky Marching Network

Just now, Bandgeek25 said:

Ive said for years, 1A deserves the college, it makes more sense. Coming from a state finalist in class A, it makes more sense for us to be there instead of having to hurry and navigate traffic and such to get to the stadium on time.

To a point I agree. The issue is most high school stadiums arent large enough to host ten 5A bands...

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

To a point I agree. The issue is most high school stadiums arent large enough to host ten 5A bands...

Half of our 5A's don't even have 100 players, with some pretty much 3A and 4A size. GRC is a very nice stadium, and should be able to handle it (although there is an uproar locally about a board member and its construction/under the table stuff-which, if you know Winchester and the history of GRC, is no surprise. It's in the news). Winchester is old money and you better not be an outsider. One reason the band director gig was a carousel for a while.

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

I completely agree. With the point system, if they want to do it right, 1A should be the smallest in terms of allotted points. 

1A - 2 points

2A - 3 to 4 points

3A - 5 to 6 points

4A - 7 to 8 points

5A - 9 to 10 points

We're constantly not wanying to punish the little bands, but in doing so the ones who orchestrated this mess are getting by free in 5A. Why KMEA doesn't realize this...wait...they do, but they only care about 5A.

Bands like Anderson, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Christian who all have been at the top of the size in 4A should have the oportunity to move up to 5A, instead of bands like Washington who are going to flip flop between 1A with bands their size and 2A.

And on top of all you just said, what ticks me off more than anything is that several of the "ones" who pushed hard for these changes, wanted the changes to make the road to finals easier from a selfish perspective.  Then after lobbing the grenade over the fence to get the ball rolling, they then bailed.   I'm not a fan of "everybody deserves a participation trophy" mentality.  If you want the prize, you should be willing to work for it.  Don't just change the rules to make it easier. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, bdit said:

Half of our 5A's don't even have 100 players, with some pretty much 3A and 4A size. GRC is a very nice stadium, and should be able to handle it (although there is an uproar locally about a board member and its construction/under the table stuff-which, if you know Winchester and the history of GRC, is no surprise. It's in the news). Winchester is old money and you better not be an outsider. One reason the band director gig was a carousel for a while.

This year they'll be able to handle it, but in the years to come as bands start to grow again it could become an issue. 

And I know Winchester pretty well. Honestly it's a mess of a town. Nice, but a mess. So much politics...and the race issues at the high school a while back was a huge cause for concern.

8 minutes ago, bdit said:

The problem isn't the quality of the field or the size of the bands; it's stadium capacity. I'm old enough to remember when AAAAA semifinals were held at Barren County High School for the first 2 years of the school size system. That's not a small stadium, and it was completely saturated by fans and parents. AAAAA semis at GRC this year is going to be similar, to the point where it's dissuading me from attending because of my agoraphobia.

This isn't to say that it's not a GOOD idea to have Class A at the finals venue. But doing so raises its own set of other problems. I almost wish AAAAA could be held at EKU or something.

Edited by Tim
1 minute ago, Tim said:

The problem isn't the quality of the field or the size of the bands; it's stadium capacity. I'm old enough to remember when AAAAA semifinals were held at Barren County High School for the first 2 years of the school size system. That's not a small stadium, and it was completely saturated by fans and parents. AAAAA semis at GRC this year is going to be similar, to the point where it's dissuading me from attending AAAAA semifinals because of my agoraphobia.

5A in 2006 was at WKU because of the debacle of 2005. It was only the first year of the school size classification system.

7 minutes ago, Tim said:

The problem isn't the quality of the field or the size of the bands; it's stadium capacity. I'm old enough to remember when AAAAA semifinals were held at Barren County High School for the first 2 years of the school size system. That's not a small stadium, and it was completely saturated by fans and parents. AAAAA semis at GRC this year is going to be similar, to the point where it's dissuading me from attending because of my agoraphobia.

I guess I was thinking more smaller bands in 5A (meaning smaller parents/fans), now we're at 11 (hahahaha) and not 16, and most of the larger group's fans bail after they perform. It was one of the reasons we stopped doing the old rotation at finals. The 1A/2A guys got upset because the stands would basically empty out after 4A/5A. Now with it being a split retreat/awards ceremony, the same thing will basically  happen.