Kentucky Marching Network

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could you please share these wonderful mystery sources on Adair’s hire? Whoever told you this is way out of touch with what happened. There was one right choice for the job and that was Jordan Humphre

I’m typically always my own source because I’m involved closely with the group. I know how the process went so when details were provided that are contrary to what I know to be true then I asked for t

You're not even worth the time to argue over LOL

If we go by conventional wisdom, then the list of contenders would probably look something like this (in alphabetical order):

Adair County
Boyle County
Estill County
Murray
Russell County
Taylor County

However, conventional wisdom may be a bit obsolete. Madison Southern just beat Taylor County, so there may be some shifting around in the bottom half of the finals list. (Yes, I know, it's literally the beginning of the marching band season.) With the limited info we have right now, I'd say that Estill County and Murray are both locks, with Russell County and Adair County probably also locks and solidifying that status over the next few weeks. That leaves 2 more spots to be claimed from a group consisting of Calloway County, Garrard County, Muhlenberg County, Taylor County, Boyle County, Madison Southern, Russell Independent, and possibly a couple of other bands who we haven't seen or who will improve into contenders over the course of the season. This is going to be one of the most crowded semifinals we've seen.

9 hours ago, Tim said:

If we go by conventional wisdom, then the list of contenders would probably look something like this (in alphabetical order):

Adair County
Boyle County
Estill County
Murray
Russell County
Taylor County

I'd have Russell Ind, Muhlenberg, Garrard, and M Southern with the other 5 before I'd have Boyle. 

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, bdit said:

I'd have Russell Ind, Muhlenberg, Garrard, and M Southern with the other 5 before I'd have Boyle. 

And based on what I've been hearing from Russell County, I'm not sure I'd have them in just yet either...

36 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

And based on what I've been hearing from Russell County, I'm not sure I'd have them in just yet either...

I think Covid definitely has had an impact on Russell County to this point. I have confidence in their team to get them to their normal standard by finals but I'm not shocked if they don't come out of the gate like they normally do in these circumstances. 

Also anyone who doesn't have Garrard in the finals conversation either doesn't know their history and track record of slow starts, is ignoring that history, or is a hater. Finals isn't a sure thing but they will definitely make some noise at the right time. I made the mistake of writing them off one time and I will never do that again. 

• Upvote 1

I would say the current ranking is

Estill 

Murray 

Adair

Mad South 

Russell ind 

Taylor

the top 3 I’m confident will be in finals. Estill and Murray are out of the gate smoking hot and Adair is probably playing the long game as usual… I feel I see a lot more potential in this Adair show than I have the last 2 which I’m very excited for. Estill seems to be improving in areas that held them back from the 2019 title by that infamous .1… Murray has steadily improved over the last 2 years so the 3 of them in the same class makes for a good time… the bottom 3 and even groups I don’t have listed could also do some damage and sneak into a top 3 spot although I don’t really picture any of them taking home the cup 

I predict we see a lot of flip flopping in placements and close scores right up to the very end 

1 hour ago, Saxophone2494 said:

Also a dark horse in this class that could make a splash is E town… I’m not sure if count them out of the conversation altogether.

Unless they've improved immensely from what they showed in 2019 & 2020, they aren't in my mix. I'd love to be proven wrong though. 

I will bold and say that Estill County is the only group that I think is a “lock” in this class.  There are many groups who could round out the top 6.

One would have to think that Adair and Murray will be in the mix.  After that,  it could lots of groups including the previously mentioned Taylor, Russell Co, and Russell Independent.  Pulaski is off to a another strong start as well and deserves to be in the conversation.  They narrowly missed finals in 2019, beating Russell County in the process and finished within tenths of a point from Taylor and Adair at Semifinals.  They were also one of a handful of groups to field a band in 2020 winning the USBands National Title and Commonwealth Pageantry Circuit titles.  

There are others who could come out of the mix as well

This class is stacked.  It may very well come down to which groups are able to manage the challenges presented by COVID.  This could be the most competitive class this year.

Edited by kybandfan1
15 hours ago, kybandfan1 said:

I will bold and say that Estill County is the only group that I think is a “lock” in this class.  There are many groups who could round out the top 6.

One would have to think that Adair and Murray will be in the mix.  After that,  it could lots of groups including the previously mentioned Taylor, Russell Co, and Russell Independent.  Pulaski is off to a another strong start as well and deserves to be in the conversation.  They narrowly missed finals in 2019, beating Russell County in the process and finished within tenths of a point from Taylor and Adair at Semifinals.  They were also one of a handful of groups to field a band in 2020 winning the USBands National Title and Commonwealth Pageantry Circuit titles.  

There are others who could come out of the mix as well

This class is stacked.  It may very well come down to which groups are able to manage the challenges presented by COVID.  This could be the most competitive class this year.

I'm guessing that Estill and Murray will be in  the top two spots come finals.  And since there will be 6 in each class making the finals cut, no doubt Adair will be in the mix.  We'll see how Adair does with the change in directors, but historically speaking based on 2018 & 19, I think it will be a tall order for them to beat Estill and Murray given the transition hurdles.    Still scratching my head over the flip flops in placements from quarterfinals, semifinals vs finals in 2019.   IMO, I personally didn't see that much of a change in performance from semi-finals to finals amongst the top 3 (3A) 2019 finalists to justify the placement changes, but that's just my opinion.  I felt Estill was the clear winner.  This year, Estill and Murray show no signs of taking their foot off the pedal, so Adair has a big mountain to climb I think.  It will be exciting to see how everything pans out this year.

Murray

Estill

Adair

Russell Ind.

Mad South

Taylor

I’m definitely not sold on the bottom three spots. I think Adair is a lock but could end up fourth or fifth depending on how the season rides.

Right now the battle is between Estill and Murray and I think Murray currently, and will continue to, edge out Estill. Would be super happy to see either of them win finals this year though.

Just now, Sorge The Walrus said:

The title this year is Estill’s to lose… jmo

Estill must be on fire this year! 🔥 I haven’t had the chance to see them yet. from this comment we should see big things from them this weekend at Madison southern. I’ll get to see them there

I think Estill is the clear front runner as of right now and I think Murray is quite a ways behind them. Adair is probably sitting in 3rd a point or less behind Murray… the rest of the class I haven’t seen so I can’t speak on them.

this could and probably will change… even if the placement remains, I don’t see these 3 groups bowing to the other which will make for a fun recap. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Saxophone2494 said:

I think Estill is the clear front runner as of right now and I think Murray is quite a ways behind them. Adair is probably sitting in 3rd a point or less behind Murray

This is how I'm seeing it right now. Adair could very well shock us at the very last minute during finals but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

• Upvote 1

Adair is further than a point behind Murray. I'd say at least 3.

Estill County

GAP

Murray

GAP

Adair

Madison Southern

Taylor County

Garrard County

Adair has a lot of work ahead of them this year. Thats not to say they can't do it, but personally I believe this is the weaker Adair first showing I've seen since I've been around.

• Upvote 2
42 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Adair is further than a point behind Murray. I'd say at least 3.

Estill County

GAP

Murray

GAP

Adair

Madison Southern

Taylor County

Garrard County

Adair has a lot of work ahead of them this year. Thats not to say they can't do it, but personally I believe this is the weaker Adair first showing I've seen since I've been around.

From what I can tell from watching Adair, they have a good base product. There’s good sounds and sights underneath the dirt. Whether they’ll be able to clean the amount of dirt they have to push very far is yet to be seen. Right now, just to be completely honest, there’s several bands I could see slipping in the 3rd or 4th spot over them. Props to Adair’s staff and kids however it goes. I can tell they’ve been hammering at fundamentals.

Edited by trombobble
It wouldn’t be a post from me without a few crucial words missing.
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, trombobble said:

From what I can tell from watching Adair, they have a good base product. There’s good sounds and sights underneath the dirt. Whether they’ll be able to clean the amount of dirt they have to push very far is yet to be seen. Right now, just to be completely honest, there’s several bands I could see slipping in the 3rd or 4th spot over them. Props to Adair’s staff and kids however it goes. I can tell they’ve been hammering at fundamentals.

I agree that the base is there, and I rather enjoy the show, but I'm not sure if this itteration of the Adair program can get it there. Might just be a young group, and in time over the next couple of years they will develope into a true force in true Adair fashion. Director changes are hard, even if they are hired from within.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

I agree that the base is there, and I rather enjoy the show, but I'm not sure if this itteration of the Adair program can get it there. Might just be a young group, and in time over the next couple of years they will develope into a true force in true Adair fashion. Director changes are hard, even if they are hired from within.

I agree.  Director changes are tough and it seems it takes a year or two for the program to adapt.  When hiring from within, the adaptation curve should be shorter, but still it  is a change.  I'm a bit shocked that they decided hired from within instead looking for a director with head band director experience and a proven track record for such a storied program.  Having said that, I do like seeing organizations willing to promote from within and giving their own a chance to advance and succeed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ANUBIS said:

I agree.  Director changes are tough and it seems it takes a year or two for the program to adapt.  When hiring from within, the adaptation curve should be shorter, but still it  is a change.  I'm a bit shocked that they decided hired from within instead looking for a director with head band director experience and a proven track record for such a storied program.  Having said that, I do like seeing organizations willing to promote from within and giving their own a chance to advance and succeed.  

I was shocked when they announced the hire as well. There were two candidates, one backed by Tom Case and the other backed by Tim Allen. Tom Case won out. 

The issue I've noticed as of lately is that most schools have been waiting so long to post to KEPS that it screws themselves out of more qualified candidates.

• Upvote 2