Kentucky Marching Network

20 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I was shocked when they announced the hire as well. There were two candidates, one backed by Tom Case and the other backed by Tim Allen. Tom Case won out. 

The issue I've noticed as of lately is that most schools have been waiting so long to post to KEPS that it screws themselves out of more qualified candidates.

It's essentially the same thing that happened with a school in 1A, the job wasn't even posted anywhere, the day after the director resigned, they hired the assistant. It's unfair IMO, why not give these other directors who have had experience the chance?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could you please share these wonderful mystery sources on Adair’s hire? Whoever told you this is way out of touch with what happened. There was one right choice for the job and that was Jordan Humphre

I’m typically always my own source because I’m involved closely with the group. I know how the process went so when details were provided that are contrary to what I know to be true then I asked for t

You're not even worth the time to argue over LOL

Just now, Bandgeek25 said:

It's essentially the same thing that happened with a school in 1A, the job wasn't even posted anywhere, the day after the director resigned, they hired the assistant. It's unfair IMO, why not give these other directors who have had experience the chance?

I agree with giving new blood a chance. Otherwise they spent tens of thousands on a degree that they will never fully be able to out to use until theyre close to retirement age. I just want every school to give every person with the degree and capability a chance to apply. Some directors don't announce theyre leaving until June or July, and thats an issue too. 

16 minutes ago, Bandgeek25 said:

This is not correct information. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

I was shocked when they announced the hire as well. There were two candidates, one backed by Tom Case and the other backed by Tim Allen. Tom Case won out. 

The issue I've noticed as of lately is that most schools have been waiting so long to post to KEPS that it screws themselves out of more qualified candidates.

Well, as with anything these days, there are allot of politics at play.  If I were the administration at Adair, I would have wanted to do everything possible to ensure the continuation of the success of the program, and take the least amount of chances.   For such a storied program, I would have wanted to hire director with head director experience and a proven track record,  and it would have been hard to not take Tim Allen's recommendation (assuming what you heard was true) given his notoriety in the band world.   I felt the same way for example about Duke's basketball's choice to promote their assistant to follow in coach K's footsteps.  Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way, shape or form saying anything negative about the new director choice, or insinuating negativity towards him.  I hope he and the program continues to be successful.  I'm just shocked that they made that decision given what's at stake.

Edited by ANUBIS
spelling
2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Incorrect; one director that was "backed" didn't even get an interview, which shouldn't come as a surprise for most.

This was basically a lateral transfer and everything else (interviews, etc) was just procedural. 

1 minute ago, bdit said:

Incorrect; one director that was "backed" didn't even get an interview, which shouldn't come as a surprise for most.

This was basically a lateral transfer and everything else (interviews, etc) was just procedural. 

Just relaying what I was told by a few folks tied to the program. Doesn't matter now though. Whats done is done. Im honestly glad they didn't go with the other person, but Im not sure the right decision was made by the school board to not hold out and just go through the motions as a formality.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

Just relaying what I was told by a few folks tied to the program. Doesn't matter now though. Whats done is done. Im honestly glad they didn't go with the other person, but Im not sure the right decision was made by the school board to not hold out and just go through the motions as a formality.

Understood; Superintendent pretty much called the shots on the hire, which she can do because it's an itinerant position.

14 minutes ago, bdit said:

Understood; Superintendent pretty much called the shots on the hire, which she can do because it's an itinerant position.

I just think the program deserved better in their search for the next director. 

18 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

I just think the program deserved better in their search for the next director. 

I totally agree.  Again, given such a high profile storied program.  To not give interviews to outside capable candidates is a little short sighted IMO.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, bdit said:

Just curious, can you elaborate what you mean regarding the "backed" candidate not getting an interview should not come as a surprise?

11 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Just curious, can you elaborate what you mean regarding the "backed" candidate not getting an interview should not come as a surprise?

It was already a done deal..............

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, bdit said:

It was already a done deal..............

Oh I see.  It amazes me that they didn't give honest consideration to both internal and external.  Not for this program anyway.  SMH

• Upvote 1
Just now, ANUBIS said:

Oh I see.  It amazes me that they didn't give honest consideration to both internal and external.  Not for this program anyway.  SMH

I am honestly not surprised one bit. If principals and SBDM councils actually vetted their candidates better there would be several people without a job. However, the resources and the know-how isn't readily available. 

One reason why I stopped looking for a job in music education was because of some blatant nepotism in the school system I subbed for a few years back. One kid of the assistant superintendent and the spouse of an assistant principal all in the same summer were hired on to be assistant band directors. To this day I have never been so disappointed in my life about something. 

I doubt I'll ever be over it. 

Anyway... 

It is the middle of September. Some of these bands will peak early. I don't doubt that will happen. 

• Upvote 1

Could you please share these wonderful mystery sources on Adair’s hire? Whoever told you this is way out of touch with what happened. There was one right choice for the job and that was Jordan Humphress. He has been with us through some very tough times and contrary to what most of you know has held the reigns of the program for stints before. Also he was a student of both Tom Case at Adair and Tim Allen at LWC. I’d say they both showed him a great deal of support.

Edited by Fan in the Stands
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Upvote 3
8 hours ago, Fan in the Stands said:

Could you please share these wonderful mystery sources on Adair’s hire? Whoever told you this is way out of touch with what happened. There was one right choice for the job and that was Jordan Humphress. He has been with us through some very tough times and contrary to what most of you know has held the reigns of the program for stints before. Also he was a student of both Tom Case at Adair and Tim Allen at LWC. I’d say they both showed him a great deal of support.

Just to be clear, none of my comments were meant to be negative toward Mr. Humphress.  The point I was making (and I think others as well), is that it was surprising, given what is/was at stake (history, storied program and legacy), that the hire decision was made without giving ANY consideration to outside candidates who had many years of head band director experience with a proven track record.   Time will tell, but I do wish great success to him and the program.

• Confused 1
19 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Just to be clear, none of my comments were meant to be negative toward Mr. Humphress.  The point I was making (and I think others as well), is that it was surprising, given what is/was at stake (history, storied program and legacy), that the hire decision was made without giving ANY consideration to outside candidates who had many years of head band director experience with a proven track record.   Time will tell, but I do wish great success to him and the program.

To my understanding there was a hiring process, it was not just handed over to him… and as Fan In The Stands mentioned, he had proved to be able to lead and sustain this program pretty much out of the gate.

Jordan is a smart and dedicated educator and has a great deal of passion for the activity. He gained an education from 2 of Kentucky’s greatest music educators and is an alumni that will probably have a great deal of longevity with the program, if nothing else that would/ should be a selling point for most legacy programs 

I have no doubts that Adair will sustain excellence under him and he has proven to be a great leader already. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Nobody is denying Jordans capabilities. I think we all just find it odd that nobody else was given the opportunity to really apply since it was practically a done deal. 

Also, I love how I should reveal my sources when nobody ever does. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Ben Dover said:

Nobody is denying Jordans capabilities. I think we all just find it odd that nobody else was given the opportunity to really apply since it was practically a done deal. 

Also, I love how I should reveal my sources when nobody ever does. 

I’m typically always my own source because I’m involved closely with the group. I know how the process went so when details were provided that are contrary to what I know to be true then I asked for the sources. There was an application process, reviews done, the best people chosen to interview who wanted the head director job, interviews completed before a panel, and a selection made. I would like to know who anyone thinks should have received an interview that didn’t was. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fan in the Stands said:

I’m typically always my own source because I’m involved closely with the group. I know how the process went so when details were provided that are contrary to what I know to be true then I asked for the sources. There was an application process, reviews done, the best people chosen to interview who wanted the head director job, interviews completed before a panel, and a selection made. I would like to know who anyone thinks should have received an interview that didn’t was. 

Are you claiming that candidates from the outside were interviewed by a panel?  If so, I'd like to know who from the outside was considered.  Like Ben Dover, I would not want to get into revealing sources, but from a very reliable and credible source, it's my understanding that no one from the outside was interviewed or considered and that the job posting / application process was purely procedural. 

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Are you claiming that candidates from the outside were interviewed by a panel?  If so, I'd like to know who from the outside was considered.  Like Ben Dover, I would not want to get into revealing sources, but from a very reliable and credible source, it's my understanding that no one from the outside was interviewed or considered and that the job posting / application process was purely procedural. 

In this day and age I wonder if someone was granted an interview, did they actually show up?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, The Stig said:

In this day and age I wonder if someone was granted an interview, did they actually show up?

LOL........you have a good point.  I would think for this high profile opportunity that would not be a problem.  But nothing would surprise me these days.

2 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

LOL........you have a good point.  I would think for this high profile opportunity that would not be a problem.  But nothing would surprise me these days.

My wife works in childcare. They need staff and no one comes in for an interview. 

2 hours ago, Fan in the Stands said:

Yes, I know very well who you are, and I also have my own sources that are tied to the program. Doesn't mean I'm giving them up. False information or stretched information makes its way around. Doesn't mean I'm going to throw names at you for you to throw the book at them so to speak. I can name people who I thought should have gotten an interview, but whats done is done so why should/would I? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, ANUBIS said:

100% there was a candidate not just from outside but from out of state interviewed.