Kentucky Marching Network

With all of the movement between the bottom 3 classes, this one is the most difficult to predict just from the sheer amount of bands moving in and out of it. From what I can surmise, Beechwood, Washington County, and Glasgow are the 3 locks for finals here. After that, LaRue County, Hancock County, and John Hardin are the bands I would call the "frontrunners" for the remaining 3 finalist positions, but CAL, Mercer County, Pike County Central, Hart County, Trigg County, and maybe even a few others at least have a shot at it. Regionals in this class are going to be a MESS.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, boafan said:

Beechwood 

Glasgow 

Washington County 

Larue County 

Hancock County 

John Hardin 

Hard agree. I don’t know much about the class, but I am expecting Beechwood to take the crown.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, boafan said:

Beechwood 

Glasgow 

Washington County 

Larue County 

Hancock County 

John Hardin 

I’m super curious to see where John Hardin is. From what I’ve heard, they’re super small this year. Honestly, I was really impressed by Mercer when I was at Boyle. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were fighting neck and neck with another program for a top 6 spot.

2 hours ago, trombobble said:

I’m super curious to see where John Hardin is. From what I’ve heard, they’re super small this year. Honestly, I was really impressed by Mercer when I was at Boyle. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were fighting neck and neck with another program for a top 6 spot.

John Hardin 2021

Number of woodwinds: 7

Number of brass: 8

Number of percussion: 7

Number of auxiliary: 3

Number of drum majors: 0

Total on field: 24

45 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

John Hardin 2021

I remember seasons when John Hardin had 3 times that many performers. It's crazy how that school and its band have changed since it opened. Thanks to Tom Case's ability to build up a strong, healthy band program, they've always been a solid program regardless. But the fluctuations of students between John Hardin, Elizabethtown, and other Hardin County schools has made it very difficult for both John Hardin AND Elizabethtown High Schools to really maintain solid footing.

Edited by Tim
Need to clarify that I was talking specifically about the populations of the school and band, and not the program's quality.
26 minutes ago, Tim said:

I remember seasons when John Hardin had 3 times that many performers. It's crazy how that school and its band have changed since it opened. Thanks to Tom Case's ability to build up a strong, healthy band program, they've always been a solid program regardless. But the fluctuations of students between John Hardin, Elizabethtown, and other Hardin County schools has made it very difficult for both John Hardin AND Elizabethtown High Schools to really maintain solid footing.

Their first year open Johnny H was twice this size. Even with them slowly phasing out John Hardin, and Covid, its still shocking they dwindled this quickly from 2019.

2 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

John Hardin 2021

If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe it, then the admin needs to step in. Something is not right, pandemic or not. Can anyone else shed any light? I know the school is down to around 750 students, but even at 5%, that would be 35-40ish. There was a reason Case left, and this may be what he saw it heading towards.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, bdit said:

If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe it, then the admin needs to step in. Something is not right, pandemic or not. Can anyone else shed any light? I know the school is down to around 750 students, but even at 5%, that would be 35-40ish. There was a reason Case left, and this may be what he saw it heading towards.

These numbers came directly from KMEA. Another issue is the kids nor parents heard much about marching band until well into June. The Hardin County schools have all had it rough with Covid, but there's no excuse to be smaller than Elizabethtown when you have a larger enrollment.

13 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

These numbers came directly from KMEA. Another issue is the kids nor parents heard much about marching band until well into June. The Hardin County schools have all had it rough with Covid, but there's no excuse to be smaller than Elizabethtown when you have a larger enrollment.

A quick Google search says Etown is at 762, and JH is at 773 (down from 925 in 2017). That's just crazy.

1 hour ago, bdit said:

A quick Google search says Etown is at 762, and JH is at 773 (down from 925 in 2017). That's just crazy.

It doesn't feel like it was too long ago that JHHS was 5A and a finals contender. HCS really screwed up building that school. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Stig said:

It doesn't feel like it was too long ago that JHHS was 5A and a finals contender. HCS really screwed up building that school. 

I remember being very impressed with their finals performance back in 2014. I remember that night like it was yesterday... mainly because it was so cold your fingers felt like they were gonna break off.

Edited by Sorge The Walrus
1 hour ago, KMEA Commenter said:

A lot it had to do with restructuring at Fort Knox, I think.

They've been slowly phasing out John Hardin since the major influx of inlistings slowed down around 2010. 

12 minutes ago, Ben Dover said:

They've been slowly phasing out John Hardin since the major influx of inlistings slowed down around 2010. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Which is interesting, because it's the newest high school in the county, to my knowledge (literally and in terms of the age of the building it occupies).  But I could be wrong about that too.  

• Upvote 1

Top three in no order: beechwood, Glasgow, and larue. 

bottom three:

washington

hancock

The last spot is a toss up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see John H, hart, cal, or mercer. I saw hart county at Glasgow and I think they’ve got a cool show and good potential. 

Not extremely confident but I'm gonna try some predictions. 

AA East (no order)

Washington Co

CAL

Beechwood

Mercer Co

Marion Co

Mason Co/Owen Co

AA West (no order)

Glasgow

LaRue Co

Hancock Co

John Hardin

Warren Central

Russellville

Still early, nothing will shock me too badly. Could be way off with these, and that's ok. Just glad to have competitions again!