Conner

#2 Saxophone2494

Forum Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

I'm really surprised BOCO has yet to settle with Michael Stone
"You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again" -Achilles

#3 Rafikki

Hand of Mufasa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

View PostSaxophone2494, on 04 March 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm really surprised BOCO has yet to settle with Michael Stone
Could be for the Middle school
Asante sana squash banana, wewe nugu mimi hapana

#4 Incognito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

View PostRafikki, on 04 March 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

Could be for the Middle school

It's for the high school. Michael Stone is still the interim director.

#5 Mike Honcho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostIncognito, on 04 March 2018 - 11:40 PM, said:

It's for the high school. Michael Stone is still the interim director.

I'd assume since Mr. Stone took over mid year that they would have to officially post the position at the end of that year.

#6 Incognito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostMike Honcho, on 05 March 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

I'd assume since Mr. Stone took over mid year that they would have to officially post the position at the end of that year.

I would assume that if they were going to hire him that they would have done so after Eric Hale retired. I know, via facebook, that they held a booster meeting for parents to sign a petition saying they wanted Michael Stone to take over, but I don't know anything of the outcome.

#7 The Stig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

I saw that Conner is open. Think they would come back to SMBC?
Some say that he has no understanding of clouds, and that his ear wax tastes like Turkish delight... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

#8 KillItOnTheHighC

Literally the worst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostThe Stig, on 06 March 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

I saw that Conner is open. Think they would come back to SMBC?

It depends on the director. With the right one, I could definitely see it happening.

#9 JuliusKorngold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostIncognito, on 05 March 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

I would assume that if they were going to hire him that they would have done so after Eric Hale retired. I know, via facebook, that they held a booster meeting for parents to sign a petition saying they wanted Michael Stone to take over, but I don't know anything of the outcome.

Facts:
1. Bourbon County is an awesome marching program.
2. Eric Hale is in the running for small marching band director GOAT.
3. A generation ago, they weren't anything special.
4. It isn't a comprehensive program right now: (high performing concert band, multiple kids rocking out in honor bands)
5. Parents feeling like they are in charge of the direction on the program could lead to a disaster.

#10 Incognito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostJuliusKorngold, on 08 March 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

5. Parents feeling like they are in charge of the direction on the program could lead to a disaster.

One more time for the people in the back!

#11 Mike Honcho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostIncognito, on 05 March 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

I would assume since it was a mid-year retirement by Hale they would hire Stone on an "interim basis" (since he was already in the Bourbon Co system) and then post the job for an official hire during the summer. I would think Stone would have the obvious advantage since he is already a part of the program. Does anyone from Bourbon have any insider info?

#12 Incognito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostMike Honcho, on 08 March 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I would assume since it was a mid-year retirement by Hale they would hire Stone on an "interim basis" (since he was already in the Bourbon Co system) and then post the job for an official hire during the summer. I would think Stone would have the obvious advantage since he is already a part of the program. Does anyone from Bourbon have any insider info?

It would also be his first head directing job. Maybe they want someone a little more seasoned?

#13 KillItOnTheHighC

Literally the worst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostIncognito, on 08 March 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

It would also be his first head directing job. Maybe they want someone a little more seasoned?

What I'm more interested in: if they haven't already hired Stone, who else is in the running?

#14 Somewhat Grump

Breathe dAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:It only counts on the move!

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostIncognito, on 08 March 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

One more time for the people in the back!

Then 5 more times for the sake of consistency!

#15 KillItOnTheHighC

Literally the worst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostSomewhat Grump, on 08 March 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

Then 5 more times for the sake of consistency!

I don't even think 10 times is enough. Let's be safe and go for 20.

#16 Somewhat Grump

Breathe dAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:It only counts on the move!

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostKillItOnTheHighC, on 08 March 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

I don't even think 10 times is enough. Let's be safe and go for 20.

I like it!

#17 Cavie Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM

I may have miscounted... so one more time...

Edited by Cavie Fan, 09 March 2018 - 01:52 AM.

#18 KillItOnTheHighC

Literally the worst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

Cavie Fan, on 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

In all honesty, I really hope at least one parent sees this and thinks "Maybe these people who have a long history with band programs are right", but I know deep down it's wishful thinking.

#19 Cavie Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair. That sounds a bit chauvinistic, so I will apologize to any female band directors out there.... but, JoAnn, Nan, Pauletta, Carol Jean, Janet, Karen and Stephanie .... you are all really awesome and a really elite group of ladies.

Edited by Cavie Fan, 09 March 2018 - 03:13 AM.

#20 KillItOnTheHighC

Literally the worst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:50 AM

Cavie Fan, on 09 March 2018 - 03:11 AM, said:

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair. That sounds a bit chauvinistic, so I will apologize to any female band directors out there.... but, JoAnn, Nan, Pauletta, Carol Jean, Janet, Karen and Stephanie .... you are all really awesome and a really elite group of ladies.

In the tough grit sense of the term, Ms. Smith had more of a pair than most guys around nowadays.

#21 The Stig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Cavie Fan, on 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

It has happened more than once. Input is not a bad thing but crossing that line on direction is a very dangerous thing.
Some say that he has no understanding of clouds, and that his ear wax tastes like Turkish delight... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

#22 Tim

forum videographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

KillItOnTheHighC, on 09 March 2018 - 02:45 AM, said:

In all honesty, I really hope at least one parent sees this and thinks "Maybe these people who have a long history with band programs are right", but I know deep down it's wishful thinking.

Sadly, it's more likely any parent who believes themselves to be the true leader of a band program would see things like that and ask themselves, "Who do these kids think they are?"

Cavie Fan, on 09 March 2018 - 03:11 AM, said:

It's sad to watch it happen and you just want to yell at the band director to grow a pair.

I believe it's rarely the case that a band director or staff member would fail to stand up to a runaway parent organization simply because they are too intimidated by them. Much more often, one or more members of the parent organization is powerful or influential in some way with a band staff's bosses and holds that influence against the band staff whenever there is a point of disagreement. In that position, there is not much a band director can do to stand up to their critics without putting their own job in jeopardy. Now, if you're saying the band director should take a stand regardless of whether or not it means their job, then I don't entirely disagree with you. However, keep in mind, this is a band director's livelihood we're talking about here, and it can be difficult to find a new job nowadays with all the band programs shutting down or having their schools consolidated. A band director would have to weigh the moral importance of keeping their parent organization in check against the possible risk of losing their job and the career / financial implications that would have for them. Also, let's keep in mind that most band directors are pretty even-tempered and would try to avoid a fight rather than seek one out.
Posted Image

Tim Ibershoff
- 1999: A Defiant Heart - sousaphone
- 2000: Stonehenge - sousaphone
- 2001: Niagara Falls - sousaphone
My facebook page
My OLD youtube channel
My NEW youtube channel
​My blog

#23 Incognito

• Members
  • PipPip